Sponsored by:

Adaptor for cigarette lighter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 01:17 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptor for cigarette lighter?

Can anybody recommend an adaptor that will make a cell phone cord fit better in the 993 lighter assembly?
Old 01-22-2004, 02:15 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Phil
A few wrappings of black electrical tape around the upper portion of the plug above the side contact(s) should work fine. While not as inconspicuous, Scotch tape will also work.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:52 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the easiest solution. Assuming that your cell phone adapter has 2 metal prongs on the sides that squeeze into the lighter, simply take one of the prongs and pry it out of the body. I used my key, though anything like a screwdriver works.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:59 PM
thevenet
Advanced

Thanks guys. Two nice and cheap options!
Old 01-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Before i wired my V1 I poped the prong out like Eric mentioned!
Old 01-22-2004, 05:40 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Kim-
If you do that, please give us a write-up! I can imagine that being one of those projects that SHOULD be easy but ends up taking some parts and effort.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:06 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Old 01-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I was thinking of replacing the whole cigaratte lighter with a more standard sized aux power socket since there's no smoking in my car anyway.
please consider that your air pump/compressor may not fit in the US standard size receptacle - not fun if you need to change tire on the shoulder of a freeway/tollway.

For some cell adapters, the electronics are bult-into the plug itself., so you can't really replace the plug.

My Valentine One is hardwired to the P-car, but it keeps poping out in my Audi, but works fine on the Jeep.

I have a plastic sleeve that came with a SharperImage headsfree kit and have been looking everywhere for another one.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:30 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Wrote this up years ago for our Porsche Club regional newsletter; don't know if it's still applicable for the 993.

911 ACCESSORY PLUGS
Ever had the need to use the cigarette lighter to power a 12V accessory in your 911? Have you been dissatisfied with the fit of the power plug in the lighter socket - radar detector keeps switching on and off as you hit bumps, can't keep your laptop powered constantly, have to hold the plug in place when using your air compressor, radar scrambler quits when a cop is approaching? Well, rejoice, because Porsche has come to your rescue!

Buried in the bowels of the parts catalog, there is an item called a "Plug for Electrical Units". This is an accessory plug that you can use to replace the lighter plug on the end of your present 12VDC-powered accessory. This is a quality plug - thick hard plastic with metal fittings and screw-in terminals. It is in two pieces held together with a screw and nut - take it apart, wire in the power leads (positive is the center lead), screw it together, and enjoy continuous accessory power over any terrain.

Oh, yeah: part no. is 901.613.801.00, available at your local friendly Porsche dealer.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Ray - I'd rather fix it once in the other direction and not have to worry about each thing that I want to plug in. All I need to do is find a replacement lighter recepticle with a "proper" size.
Foudn this: cat# 427-4315 at http://www.mcminone.com
Old 01-23-2004, 02:09 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Talking

Ray - I'd rather fix it once in the other direction and not have to worry about each thing that I want to plug in. All I need to do is find a replacement lighter recepticle with a "proper" size.

[QUOTE]

Might be bulkier, but could use the noted plug and wire it to a more "traditonal" socket. Would be an additional "adapter" to carry tho, but you could store it in the car someplace (map pocket, gove box). This way you can keep the car OE look with the factory cigarette lighter when you don't use the socket for your custom accesories.

Quick Reply: Adaptor for cigarette lighter?