Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 07:05 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by JohnJL
Rezal,
You're right, I'm really deciding between the C4 and C2. I am curious about the engineering differences and performance differences between an AWD system I know well and one I don't really know at all.

I was also laughing about the different opinions and thought it a worthwhile post, as it was my first after a few months of lurking on the site.

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to drive many C4s yet, and none in any rain. I've only had 1 C2 out, and it was with a very nervous salesperson.

Any volunteers offering up their steeds!?
where in Connecticut are you? I am in Stamford, and have both a quattro and a C4S
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Evan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gerry,

John lives in Norwalk.
Old 01-22-2004, 07:21 PM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Evan. sorry I didn't read the entire thread.

John, sure we can hook up together, I will PM you with my email. However, I don't drive my P-car in rain and snow (except the day I picked mine up in pouring ran). so you probably (and hopfully) won't be able to see the 4WD performance in dry payment.
Old 01-22-2004, 10:35 PM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I can chime in on this...especially since I own both a C4S and an A4 Quattro. As far as the AWD goes, Audi wins it hands down. The Audi system, unlike the Porsche system is split 50/50 front to rear and 50/50 side to side whereas the Porsche system is RW biased. As far as handling goes, the stock A4 suspension is really loose. I replaced mine with Koni Coil-Over's along with 17" Kinesis wheels and 40 series tires. I believe the handling is just as good as the Porsche with this setup, BUT, that's only my opinion. If Nokyan Tyres made the Hakka's in the sizes I need for the Porsche, I believe it too, would be a decent winter car.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Novice
Addict
Rennlist Member

check out the, just released, review of TT 3.2
http://www.audiworld.com/features/tests/2004tt32.html

also for anyone who wants to read about the TT quattro system
http://www.audiworld.com/model/tt/ne.../intro3_6.html
Old 01-23-2004, 10:52 AM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your posts.

I'll be trying to drive as many 2s and 4s as possible...
Old 01-23-2004, 10:52 AM
S3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experiences - longish

The Audi "Quattro" system is based on different technology depending on the model. The main difference is that the system that can be used in a model with transversely mounted engine is not the same as can bee used for a model with a longitudinal arrangement.

For the TT the engine is mounted transverse and uses a Haldex system. This i good in theory, but I found it difficult and unpredictable in certain conditions. The problem is that the TT is primarily a front wheel drive car. As the front wheels start to spin power is transferred to the rear. This works fine in a straight line, but not in a bend. The problem is that when the fronts slips and power is sent to the rear the car will be pushed further off course. This is where the anti spin system comes in and corrects the problem. Without the anti spin system the car could be pushed off the road. If you would like to get unstuck or not have the engine stall the system can be switched off and you can have fun, but know what you are doing. It is also more difficult to handle the car with the anti spin off in slippery conditions as the Haldex system transfers power extremely quickly. It takes only 1/4 of wheel spin to transfer power to another axle. The above is based on personal experience and not scientific study.

Driving the C4S is another story. More predictable, but no anti spin (PSM) to save the day. The car is essentially a rear wheel drive car with 10 - 15 % of the power being directed to the front. More power can be directed to the front if the rear wheels spin, but this takes longer than the Haldex system mentioned above. However, if you have the patience and can wait for the power transfer the car behaves very predictably. I find it very entertaining to drive in slippery conditions.

In Norway this winter I have encountered conditions that tests the cars ability to cope with winter conditions. Temperature has been minus 21 degrees centigrade and the car was warn and comfortable. Cold start no problem. Heats up quickly, no major fogging of the windows and the heated seats work like a treat. Not been stuck yet and this morning we had difficult driving conditions due to snow and the car handled beautifully. Predictable in snow and on ice. Wide winter tyres (205 front and 255 rear)gives it a bit of a floating feel in deep snow, but no big problem. The acid test for any car I buy is a stop and go in my drive way. It is very steep and full of ice and snow. If the car can cope with this test it can handle most situations - passed without a hitch. If the snow gets deep enough it will have trouble getting up, but then it is not build for off road driving. So far not been stuck.

Personally I think the 993 C4S is a better winter car than my previous Audi Quattro.

Quick Reply: Audi Quattro vs. PSM