993 Forum 1995-1998

Simple Trick for Clock Spring Continuity Check

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 10:46 AM
rwestervelt
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Simple Trick for Clock Spring Continuity Check

Facing the dreaded airbag light and fault code 21, I read through all the threads on this forum and did the following:
  • Check and clean grounds and connections
  • Pull clock and re-soldered the joints.
I was still getting fault code 21 and the airbag light was still on. Next step was the clock spring.
  • Disconnect battery (wait several minutes)
  • Pull airbag and steering wheel
  • Remove the plastic covers around the steering column stalks
  • Follow the wires from the clock spring into the dash and locate the airbag connector – green/blue and green/red wires.
  • Disconnect the under-dash airbag connector.
This took less than ten minutes.

The airbag-side of the under-dash connector has spring loaded shorting bars, so when the connector is unplugged the two pins are connected. This is a safety feature designed so that if voltage hits one of the pins it just shorts to the other pin rather than triggering the airbag. (There is a shorting bar in the airbag itself. I initially got zero resistance on the airbag. I then pushed the shorting bar away from one pin and got 2.3 ohms through the airbag.)

Here is the simple trick… Because the under-dash airbag connector is shorted when disconnected, you can check continuity of both legs of the clock spring by checking the resistance across the two sockets in the yellow connector that plugs into the airbag. (I cut 1” lengths of paper clips to slide into the sockets because my DVM probes were too large.) There should be continuity from one socket in the yellow connector, through the clock spring, across the shorted under-dash airbag connector, back through the clock spring and finally to the other yellow connector socket.

In my case there was no continuity, which meant I had a bad clock spring. I wish I had done this test first!

I pulled the clock spring and opened it up, thinking I might locate and repair the broken wire. I found the broken wires in the ribbon near the connector, but decided that the repair was beyond my skill set.

I ordered a new clock spring from Sunset for $228. Problem solved.
The following users liked this post:
Zivaldo03 (03-16-2021)
Old 09-25-2018, 09:59 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Good write up and helpful info - thanks for posting.

I think all of our cars are going to have the same issues as time goes by and it's great to have stuff like this on the record.

Ron
Old 09-26-2018, 01:39 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Nicely done & thanks for posting. This will come up during folks checking for an air bag issue. I have never heard of a clock spring going bad. Good to know.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:14 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Are these the connectors you are talking about under the dash? Can't figure out how to remove the cover around the stalk cover.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:08 PM
rwestervelt
Instructor

They look like that. One is red and one orange.

I cannot remember which is which. The one with brown wires is for the horn and the other is for the airbag.

To get to it the other way, remove the steering wheel. This exposes a face plate. Remove the four screws from the face plate. Remove one screw from each side of the stalk cover (right near the joint). The frees the top half of the stalk cover. Mine required a bit of jiggling, but it came out easily.

Last edited by rwestervelt; 09-28-2018 at 07:14 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 09-29-2018, 12:38 PM
Andy Hodapp
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 27 Posts

Thank you for the help. It appears as though my clock spring is good but the airbag is bad as it didn't have any resistance across the circuit. Will try a 2.8 ohm resistor and try to reset the airbag light and see if that works.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:52 PM
rwestervelt
Instructor

Default Resistance Across Airbag

Originally Posted by Andy Hodapp
Thank you for the help. It appears as though my clock spring is good but the airbag is bad as it didn't have any resistance across the circuit. Will try a 2.8 ohm resistor and try to reset the airbag light and see if that works.
Before testing airbag resistance, use a toothpick to push the shorting bar away from one of the male connectors on the airbag. If you skip this step, the resistance will read zero because the two pins are shorted when the connector is unplugged.
Old 03-16-2021, 11:02 AM
Zivaldo03
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rwestervelt
Facing the dreaded airbag light and fault code 21, I read through all the threads on this forum and did the following:
  • Check and clean grounds and connections
  • Pull clock and re-soldered the joints.
I was still getting fault code 21 and the airbag light was still on. Next step was the clock spring.
  • Disconnect battery (wait several minutes)
  • Pull airbag and steering wheel
  • Remove the plastic covers around the steering column stalks
  • Follow the wires from the clock spring into the dash and locate the airbag connector – green/blue and green/red wires.
  • Disconnect the under-dash airbag connector.
This took less than ten minutes.

The airbag-side of the under-dash connector has spring loaded shorting bars, so when the connector is unplugged the two pins are connected. This is a safety feature designed so that if voltage hits one of the pins it just shorts to the other pin rather than triggering the airbag. (There is a shorting bar in the airbag itself. I initially got zero resistance on the airbag. I then pushed the shorting bar away from one pin and got 2.3 ohms through the airbag.)

Here is the simple trick… Because the under-dash airbag connector is shorted when disconnected, you can check continuity of both legs of the clock spring by checking the resistance across the two sockets in the yellow connector that plugs into the airbag. (I cut 1” lengths of paper clips to slide into the sockets because my DVM probes were too large.) There should be continuity from one socket in the yellow connector, through the clock spring, across the shorted under-dash airbag connector, back through the clock spring and finally to the other yellow connector socket.

In my case there was no continuity, which meant I had a bad clock spring. I wish I had done this test first!

I pulled the clock spring and opened it up, thinking I might locate and repair the broken wire. I found the broken wires in the ribbon near the connector, but decided that the repair was beyond my skill set.

I ordered a new clock spring from Sunset for $228. Problem solved.
Hi,

thank you for this very helpful thread. Sorry to re-open this discussion but I have the same problem on my car. Unfortunatly, the clock spring seems to be good on my side as there is continuity between the two pins on the under-dasch airbag connector. What are the other things to be tested and how?

thank you.
best regards.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:01 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Hi R Westervelt,
Nice write-up, I was unaware of the shorting-out safety feature. When replacing the steering rack on my car I sheared off the pins on the clock spring that tie it to the back of the steering wheel. I was able to fix the pins using a little cement and fishtank tube reinforcement. Also on my car the crazy over-engineered rotation lock on the spring unit was all gnarled up and broken and I found that removing it and just using some electrical tape to achieve the same function and then pulling off the tape once the steering wheel was in place was a very good low-tech alternative.
https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ck-on-993.html
Andy

Quick Reply: Simple Trick for Clock Spring Continuity Check