Rattling Turbo Tail??? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 07:24 AM
keyboardcowboy
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling Turbo Tail??? Help!

Hi everyone

I took possesion of an Ocean Blue 97 993C2s today. Before I bought the car, I did test drive it a few times, and checked on the Car's history with the porsche dealership here in malaysia. When I test drove it, there was a loud rattling sound coming from the back of the car as though something was loose. The seller said that the Turbo tail was a little loose and he had to get it fasten down. Aside from that, the car is in fantastic condition.

Unfortunately, it seems that it takes a week for some "clips" to arrive so that this problem can be fixed. I was hoping you experts can give me your opinion of this, or share some advice if you ever heard or had such a problem? Is this serious?
Old 01-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it a factory turbo tail? I had one that was not. I discovered that one difference was that the real turbo tails have a rubber seal along the rear lower edge, mine did not and the tail rattled in its catch. I had two clips at the sides and they were not long enough to stop the rattle.

Greg H.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Kristoffer
Pro

Are you sure it is from the tail? Also check your exaust tips & muffler strap. They can sometimes rattle & it would seem like it is coming from the tail.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:31 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

To add to what Kristoffer posted, I would think his suggestion would be RPM dependent. My tail rattled mostly when I went over a bump in the road. Definitely not when I blipped the throttle.

Greg H.
Old 01-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Miraculix
Pro

I actually have the same problem with my N/A car but since I'm buying a gt2 spoiler I haven't bothered to fix the rattling noice..
Old 01-21-2004, 06:04 AM
keyboardcowboy
AutoX

Greg
You are right - the turbo tail did not have seals along the edge. Any suggestions on how this problem can be rectified? I'm going to have the car checked again on Monday to see if the rattle is coming from elsewhere
Old 01-21-2004, 02:01 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

The seal mounts in a series of slots in the rear of the engine cover. I would think you can cut the slots in the tail. How good are you with a dremel tool? The seal is the same for the standard engine cover and the turbo tail. PN 993 504 513 00. If you are in the Bay Area, I have a tail you can practice on.

Greg H.

Quick Reply: Rattling Turbo Tail??? Help!