Sponsored by:

Should I go from manual to tiptronic??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2002, 10:00 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts
I've owned both, although the Tip was a 964. My understanding is that the mapping/programming has improved in the later 993s and 996s. That being said, I was pretty underwhelmed with the Tip. I use these cars for fun (only occasional commutes), and I never felt a real direct "connection" with the Tip. I sold it solely because of this.

Now if you plan to commute with it (especially in traffic) the Tip is hard to beat for its convenience. I had no service/durability issues with this transmission. In daily driving it would be hard to discern the any disadvantage, but if you flog it through the twisties you may see the difference.

Like most people here have suggested, test drive a Tip. Take it for a "spirited" drive, because that is where you will see the difference. On a mundane highway test loop it will excel.

Jason
Old 12-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Haven't driven a 993 tip for a while, but I remember my first experience in one, and it honestly felt quite sluggish (this was an early model 993, so not too sure if the tips improved throughout the life of the 993, or indeed there was a problem with that particular car). I guess a key positive attribute of the tip is when you mostly do city driving and spend lots of time in stop and go situations.

But for city traffic, I really dont think that a manual is a big problem either, only if there are lots of hill starts do I start getting a bit annoyed with the extra pedal....

Quick Reply: Should I go from manual to tiptronic??