Sponsored by:

Build Thread - Project Swine 93 - My Barnfind Outlaw / RS Inspired 993

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 12:26 PM
kingroon
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
I think I ordered it black friday! It had been on my "little things to do list for a while". Great group of guys, send them an email and I'm sure they'll have more coming in soon.
Yeah, looks so good, so much better than the stock unit..

Will drop them an email..!

Old 03-10-2019, 12:06 AM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

Totally missed this thread until now. Love what you did- fantastic. 993 and a Gt3 are a great combo
Old 03-10-2019, 11:10 AM
My 911
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Totally missed this thread until now. Love what you did- fantastic. 993 and a Gt3 are a great combo
I agree! Do you have any updated exterior and interior pictures?
Old 03-26-2019, 04:20 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I recently moved into a new house so getting that setup (and new spacious garage of course) has taken up quite a bit of my time, really need to get some photos of the car in its current state. In the meantime one of my buddies Steven Martinez who is quite talented behind a camera shot a few shots of the cars together at our Titan Open House.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

The following users liked this post:
masti99 (01-31-2020)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:55 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 225 Posts

Just came across this thread while nursing back from a 24 hour illness and what a great thread. Car looks great, I love the subtle Ruby accents. What’s funny is I contemplated doing similar accents to my black 964.....brake calipers, rollbar, never even considered the stitching but that looks great. I might have missed this but where did you source the seatbelts?
Old 03-27-2019, 06:18 AM
kingroon
Racer

Originally Posted by onelove

Lovely.. Please keep these photos coming..

As an aside about that Sleeper Plate you prompted me on:

Old 03-27-2019, 12:33 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by luv2race
Just came across this thread while nursing back from a 24 hour illness and what a great thread. Car looks great, I love the subtle Ruby accents. What’s funny is I contemplated doing similar accents to my black 964.....brake calipers, rollbar, never even considered the stitching but that looks great. I might have missed this but where did you source the seatbelts?
Seatbelt planet reconditioned the existing ones, my hardware was a bit ragged so I'll address that later but overall quite happy with the work they did.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:08 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Moved into the new house and have spent most of my free time getting things setup, especially the garage. With a bunch of inspiration and gear from my buddy Matt over at Obsessed Garage its coming along nicely, still have some lighting to handle and air lines but love opening the garage.

After a few hundred miles I decided to bring the 993 to the shop to nuts and bolt check the work we had performed, I didn't notice any particular problems perse but felt like it could run a bit smoother and wanted to do a tune-up. After pulling a spark plug and having a look at the wires we decided it was best to drop the engine and give everything a solid look and replace the worn items.

While it was sitting our resident photographer Stxck decided to snap a few shots of the car while it sat. After seeing the results I'm anxious to have him shoot both cars once the 993 is road worthy again.

Just as we were beginning to make great progress, these 2 showed up, a pair of MKV Supras to begin R&D and upgrades. Needless to say my the 993 sat untouched on the lift for a bit. The Supra is a great car, its primarily a BMW as it was a "joint" project between Toyota and BMW, however its a true tuner car with quite a few Easter eggs left for easy performance gains. After the first few weeks I'm really looking forward to improving the car further and its responding quite well to the initial rounds of modifications we've performed.

Removed the Varioram intake after finding a ton of oil underneath, with the typical lower flapper valve the culprit.

I took the alternator fan off to get it sent out for a coat of Rubystone to lighten up the engine bay, of course the housing had a friendly surprise waiting for me. On closer look it appears the fan itself was replaced as some point as the wear and small nicks and scratches are non-existent on the fan, but the Mag housing has seen better days. It likely had some sort of failure in the past and was band-aided by the previous owner or their service center.

I've had a number of people ask my about my painted ReBoot, I went ahead and picked some fun colors and now offer them pre-painted on our website (shamless plug to help with the 993 project)

Swine Eleven ReBoot 964 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel (Pre Painted)

That's all for now, hope to carve out some free time this week so I can make some more progress and get another update up.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (08-28-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 05:03 AM
kingroon
Racer

Thanks for the update, and love the colourways on the ReBoot..

Great setup at the Home Garage..!!
Old 08-27-2019, 08:28 PM
andrewgldn
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 32 Posts

This thread is EPIC man. Thanks so much for all the detail. Hoping my build thread can be half as good as this thing!
Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

In projects like there is often a point of no return, where you have to decide how far you are going to take it, and how much is too much.

About this point I questioned if I should just button things back up as they were, detail the engine further, or go full 3.8 with heads, etc. Ultimately a middle point was set and we evaluated what we had and the goals with the car and decided that a simple tune-up, inspecting everything we could see and replacing the questionable items, and giving it a good clean and aesthetic update would be the most reasonable route.

The pile of parts to evaluate, clean and address grew quite quickly.

I had a friend lookup the previous history of the car from the local dealership and less than 20k miles ago there was an engine re-seal of some sort performed by the dealership. The records were too old to get a full idea but I didn't see any mention of lifters and I called an audible (literally) and decided to go ahead and replace them. After removing and finding most of the o-rings gone and a few visually deteriorating, it was a decision well made.

The transmission was covered in grit and grime, I did my best to degrease it but eventually found a happy medium between clean with limited dirt and grease remaining and visually brand new. One day I'll go through it and give the cases an ultrasonic bath, but until then its "good enough"

The intake manifold was removed to address the common underside valve seals being bad, causing a decent amount of oil to drip on the topside of the engine. I would have liked to tear it completely apart and have it ceramic coated, but my research showed some of the internal seals being NLA. We did an internal inspection with the scope and found the gaskets to be in good shape, so I opted to give it a good external clean, and flush what I could out from the inside. I gave the outside a good degreaser bath and used a metal brush to help clean the casting.

The aluminum fan housing was a great update, but the raw aluminum finish didn't have the right aesthetics. I sent it off to our coaters for a satin high temp Cerekote finish. The tins, fan straps, and alternator pulley were blasted and given a fresh coat of gloss black powdercoat. The fan itself was in great shape, so it was prepped and sprayed with Rubystone to tie the engine bay together with the cars accent color without going over the top.

Old 09-10-2019, 04:48 AM
kingroon
Racer

..intake manifold was removed to address the common underside valve seals being bad, causing a decent amount of oil to drip on the topside of the engine..
Very interested to read this, I have removed the Shroud/Fan/Alternator etc. and can see some Grime/Oil build up on top of the Block.. I wonder if I am suffering from the same Leak..? Is it a common problem then..?
Old 09-11-2019, 11:45 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by kingroon
Very interested to read this, I have removed the Shroud/Fan/Alternator etc. and can see some Grime/Oil build up on top of the Block.. I wonder if I am suffering from the same Leak..? Is it a common problem then..?
Center of the bottom side of the intake manifold you'll see the valve for the VarioRam, a quick visual inspection should confirm (It'll be covered in oil / grime). Mine had dripped down onto the shroud and formed a nice dirt/oil cake.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:46 PM
paulkromz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 100 Posts

I am appreciating the aesthetic updates / upgrades. I would love to see someone shave their bay and tuck wires but ultimately that is not practical....but the aesthetics would be insane

keep up the great work!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by paulkromz
I am appreciating the aesthetic updates / upgrades. I would love to see someone shave their bay and tuck wires but ultimately that is not practical....but the aesthetics would be insane

keep up the great work!
It's crossed my mind, but ultimately is a step further than I'd like to go at this point with the car. If I ever pull the engine again (for a full build) I'd likely explore this, ITBs, etc. Since it's a 96, I've considered doing a PNP standalone project in the future to get rid of the immobilizer and pave the way for future upgrades, but just not in the card right now.

Quick Reply: Build Thread - Project Swine 93 - My Barnfind Outlaw / RS Inspired 993