Sponsored by:

Fun Factor... Short Ratio ReGear or 3.8 Vram

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 02:40 AM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 260 Posts
Default Fun Factor... Short Ratio ReGear or 3.8 Vram

will do both eventually but for this who have felt both which do you feel makes the car more fun? Enjoyable on street & track?

Going to do both eventually, just didn’t realize engine rebuilds take around 6 months give or take (time I had a few shops quote me). I also have a spare block being checked out so may be able to build off that on the side (as the 993 is my only car and the idea of renting something and being without my toy for 6 months sounds like hell). And figuring out what it could cost to build an 3.8 (310-320hp) engine starting with ONLY the block as a 2nd engine, (seems like 25-30k with a full engine but I’m sure there a ton more parts needed if only starting with the lock) then could sell the stock 3.6 Vram already in the car to recoup some money.

so just curious how those who had both mods done feel and thought I’d throw in some babbling.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Not done any of them but sure the regear must be ten times more important!
Old 08-19-2018, 05:41 AM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have spent like GT3 dollars and more over the years making my 993 “stronger” and can say this. Hands down the regear has the most perceived value to me anyway. Completely different car unbelievable.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Analog Theory
I have spent like GT3 dollars and more over the years making my 993 “stronger” and can say this. Hands down the regear has the most perceived value to me anyway. Completely different car unbelievable.

+1 Amazing what a regeared 6 speed box will do.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:21 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD
will do both eventually but for this who have felt both which do you feel makes the car more fun? Enjoyable on street & track?

Going to do both eventually, just didn’t realize engine rebuilds take around 6 months give or take (time I had a few shops quote me). I also have a spare block being checked out so may be able to build off that on the side (as the 993 is my only car and the idea of renting something and being without my toy for 6 months sounds like hell). And figuring out what it could cost to build an 3.8 (310-320hp) engine starting with ONLY the block as a 2nd engine, (seems like 25-30k with a full engine but I’m sure there a ton more parts needed if only starting with the lock) then could sell the stock 3.6 Vram already in the car to recoup some money.

so just curious how those who had both mods done feel and thought I’d throw in some babbling.
Each is a plus in it's own way,
I'd say that a really good regear is going to be the more satisfying. But that means all 6 gears and the bearings and synchros along w/ the shift linkage need to be done.

Trying to keep these old cars in the hunt on track days is increasingly expensive and ultimately futile. Don't get me wrong they will also be fun but the modern cars are so fast out of the box as to be uncatchable w/o spending really big bucks. If you run w/ period matching cars, 964, 968, 2.7RS, SC/Carreras the experience will be much more enjoyable.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:02 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,262 Likes on 1,342 Posts

^^^Truer words never posted. ++++
Old 08-19-2018, 01:54 PM
DD GT3 RD
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Each is a plus in it's own way,
I'd say that a really good regear is going to be the more satisfying. But that means all 6 gears and the bearings and synchros along w/ the shift linkage need to be done.

Trying to keep these old cars in the hunt on track days is increasingly expensive and ultimately futile. Don't get me wrong they will also be fun but the modern cars are so fast out of the box as to be uncatchable w/o spending really big bucks. If you run w/ period matching cars, 964, 968, 2.7RS, SC/Carreras the experience will be much more enjoyable.
thanks Bill! I’ve had 7.2 gt3, viper TA, ZR1 and others. I don’t care about keeping up with them on track. I enjoy my 993 more. I’m all about fun and enjoying my car on track, canyons etc and it’s my daily. So just looking to keep it fun and not have to worry about any engine issues.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:54 PM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

My $.02 cents is for a regear.

Performed a "regear" by way of a new RoW MY96 G50/21 gearbox swap in MY2000, this was handled by PAG's then, Werk 1 facility crew. Couldn't be happier.
Avatar photo is outside of the former Werk 1 facility, Zuffenhaushen.

Quick Reply: Fun Factor... Short Ratio ReGear or 3.8 Vram