Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got Caught In Driving in a Flash Flood--Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2003, 04:11 PM
MARTIN SHAMPAINE
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Got Caught In Driving in a Flash Flood--Need Advice.

Had an awful experience last night: I was caught in flash flood while driving home. The water had flooded the road I was on for about 20 yards.
There were cars in front and behind and no way to avoid the water.

The water level came up as high as the lower third of my 993 Targa's doors as I was moving through.

Here's the problem: midway through the water the anti-theft system activated: the horn blew constantly the lights flashed. Thankfully the engine did not cut off. I made it home to my garage but the anti-theft would not turn off. I tried everything. Finally after 20 minutes or so the horn and lights turned off but the anti-theft lights in the car's cabin remained on, in a steady low-level glow, no matter what I tried. Moreover, the electronic key will not activate the system.

My question's are : 1) What should I do? Did the flood water short out the anti-theft and will it dry out and get back to normal or have I permantly damaged the system and it's now in need of repair. Given the level of the water I drove through, are there other parts of the car that need attention now?

The only good news: the door seals were tight enough that no water entered the passenger cabin.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old 06-20-2003, 04:29 PM
Dbltime
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a smart ***, I would without a doubt trade the car with a dealer asap.
Used prices are down, nice time to move color, model whatever you want.

I had a episode with the imobilizer system (if that is what you have) avoid that at all costs.

good luck!
Old 06-20-2003, 04:32 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts
Martin,

Wow! You probably flooded the trunk and electronics up there. There is one (or two?)electronic modules in the trunk on the RH side, forward. Also, I think there are some terminal blocks and connector strips. Get the trunk apart (liner, spare tire, etc) and get some air circulating to dry things out. A small space heater (1500 w or so) would help. Disconnect and remove the battery. You may have fried these modules and may have to replace them.

Others may be able to tell you what electronics are in the nose, but it sounds like the water damage is confined to the trunk. If no water got into the cabin and or the engine compartment, you lucked out.

You can remove the electronic module(s?) in front and try and dry them out as well. The aircraft avionics guys have had success using anti-corrosion products called ACF-50 and another product from Corrosion-X to displace moisture from avionics that have been under water or are subject to salt air. Unfortunately, your electronics were powered up, so they probably are shorted.

You may also have ruined your battery by shorting it out and may want to clean it up, check the cells, recharge it and have it load tested.

When everything is dry and you have a tested or new battery, your can re-power up the electronics and see if the system re-sets itself.

Verify that the flooding was confined to the trunk first of all. If it was, your problems are fairly simple.

Hope this helps.

Mike Cap
1997 C2
Arena Red
Old 06-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Glen
Race Car

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Martin, open the top, doors and windows, hood and trunk and let the car sit out in the sun for a few days to dry out before You do anything. Disconnect the battery also(resets everything). Pull out the mats to facilitate the drying in addition to the trunk carpet. Your immobilizer and alarm contollers are under the driver and passenger seat respectively so the odds are good that You did indeed get water in your passenger floorboard. Hope that helps.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:31 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Martin:

Long time, no hear,....

I'm very sorry to hear of your misfortune here but Mike Cap and Glen offered very solid advice here and I'd follow their suggestions to a "T".

You (or your insurance co) might still wind up buy some components here, but its worth drying everything out and see what still works after a few days.

Quick Reply: Got Caught In Driving in a Flash Flood--Need Advice.