Italian Tuneup- It's great for the soul also

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 02:28 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Italian Tuneup- It's great for the soul also

Hi,

Today is a georgous day in the San Francisco Bay Area. Viperbob blessed my RUF with the front sway bar yesterday, so I'm all set for an extended drive.

We left the house before 9 am, and took my favorite route up Woodside Road and then north on Skyline. Remembering the thread about reving the engine, I drove the entire stretch in second gear, varying the RPM between 2,000 to 6,000. Wow, what a drive, anytime the rev was above 4,000, the engine sound was pure heaven. Even the Mrs. who is not into cars at all, appreciated why we are nuts about the songs of the engine.

For those of you who know the territory, today was just a great day for the run. Pencils of sun beam would pierce the patchy fog amongst the Redwoods. Wafts of steam would float above fences and roof tops. The hills and fields are all green and smelling fresh. Life just does not get any better than that.

We took 280 south to home, and I stayed in 4th, running 4,000 rpm at 80 MPH all the way. The car runs with such spirit I was tempted to go all the way to Santa Cruz. Unfortunately I had promised we'd go to the gym after the drive, so I had to stop in Los Altos.

Can't wait for warmer days to really stretch the legs of the car, and I'll probably top out in 4th gear from now on.

Enjoy.

CP
Old 01-12-2004, 02:48 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta agree re "Italian Tuneup" - it's probably a reason my '95 993 is still tight as a drum at 80K miles with NO "Check Engine" light baloney. Car doesn't get subjected to daily commuter drives. (then again, it is a '95! Probably another reason it has no FI problems.)
Old 01-12-2004, 03:03 AM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Italian Tuneup- It's great for the soul also

Originally posted by CP
For those of you who know the territory, today was just a great day for the run. Pencils of sun beam would pierce the patchy fog amongst the Redwoods. Wafts of steam would float above fences and roof tops. The hills and fields are all green and smelling fresh. Life just does not get any better than that.
That's an awesome sight and feeling indeed

Thank God for that

Quick Reply: Italian Tuneup- It's great for the soul also