993 Forum 1995-1998

Empty oil tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Empty oil tank

So Its been 3 months since I ran the 993, and I thought id change the oil change today as its been a year and a half and 3K miles ( my first change on this gen car). I cracked the oil tank plug and expected a deluge but got maybe a quarter quart. Not at all what I wanted to see this evening. I wont get a chance to drain the block until Wednesday but even with oil draining back to the pump, I cant imagine that much oil hiding in the engine short of every bore being filled w oil. I did not start the car prior to opening the drain plug.

Things done Before I put the car away:
1. new valve covers 2. Fisters.
After a 3 hour back country drive the #1 cylinder
exhaust valve lifter started getting noisy ( verified w stethoscope and made all the right sounds idling vs high RPM) Oil levels from the dash were normal for my car and halfway on the gauge when idling in the garage on return.

Any leads on what else to investigate if 9 quarts of oil don't magically come out of the block Wednesday?

-Sleepless in South Carolina
Old 07-14-2018, 08:16 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Maybe you drained something other than the engine oil?
Old 07-14-2018, 08:49 PM
2016 gt3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudey08
So Its been 3 months since I ran the 993, and I thought id change the oil change today as its been a year and a half and 3K miles ( my first change on this gen car). I cracked the oil tank plug and expected a deluge but got maybe a quarter quart. Not at all what I wanted to see this evening. I wont get a chance to drain the block until Wednesday but even with oil draining back to the pump, I cant imagine that much oil hiding in the engine short of every bore being filled w oil. I did not start the car prior to opening the drain plug.

Things done Before I put the car away:
1. new valve covers 2. Fisters.
After a 3 hour back country drive the #1 cylinder
exhaust valve lifter started getting noisy ( verified w stethoscope and made all the right sounds idling vs high RPM) Oil levels from the dash were normal for my car and halfway on the gauge when idling in the garage on return.

Any leads on what else to investigate if 9 quarts of oil don't magically come out of the block Wednesday?

-Sleepless in South Carolina
Ok just to get this strait you drained the tank that is located on the right side of the car between the right rear wheel and the door and only got about a quart of oil out. Based on what you said it just doesn't seem possible. Like LexVan said are you sure your drained the correct tank?
Old 07-14-2018, 08:55 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

The 993's dry sump oiling system holds a total of ~12qts, The lion's share of that resides in the tank (with the rest distributed throughout the oil lines, oil cooler, engine case, filters, etc.

Either you removed something other than the tank drain, or something is blocking the drain inlet.

Andreas
Old 07-14-2018, 09:09 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

If the 15MM bolt below the thermostat housing is the correct bolt to drain the oil tank, then yes I drained the right tank. Is there any way something could interfere with drainage through the thermostat? Any history of that happening ?
Old 07-14-2018, 09:59 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Does your filler neck still have the accordion extension installed? Over time, the plastic screen at the bottom breaks apart. I noticed that mine was cracked while doing my first 993 oil change 13 years ago. So I pulled it out, and flung it in the trash.

You could carefully remove the oil level sensor from the tank and investigate the level using a borescope, mirror, or flexible stick/rod or some sort.

Andreas
Old 07-14-2018, 10:39 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

I do have access to a pinhole style camera. Thanks for the advice I’ll give it a shot
Old 07-14-2018, 11:30 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudey08
Your experience is par for the course, my toys in the states can sit for a year at a time... Make sure your oil drain catch tank has ALL (vent and it's drain/pour openings) uncapped if it is a sealed container. The oil is all going to drain really quickly from the crankcase and will need to push a lot of air and really fast out of the catch tank. It will overflow quicker than you can possibly imagine. You'll be watching it and thinking, "this can't possibly flow over the sides".
Old 07-15-2018, 12:27 PM
rlme36
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Been there before, now I use a 5 gallon bucket to catch the oil from the 911 tank with a form a funnel. No more Valdez incidents.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:22 PM
IainM
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 231 Posts

if the oil was cold and the thermostat closed, would that hold back the oil in the lines & radiator? I've always changed my oil hot.
Otherwise it must be in the crankcase.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:48 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IainM
if the oil was cold and the thermostat closed, would that hold back the oil in the lines & radiator? I've always changed my oil hot.
Otherwise it must be in the crankcase.
most of the oil is sitting in the tank. Tstat opens line to front radiator. There myabe 1-2 quarts in the case.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:52 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

OP, you could take the oil level sender off...it’s a big opening, and you could then verify if there is more oil left in the tank.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jed Clampet, find the missing oil?
Old 07-18-2018, 02:49 PM
Rudey08
Advanced

Update: Most of it was sitting in the case it seems. ( i wonder how much would be in the cylinders) Im guessing about half of my 15 qt drain pan was filled. Tapping on the oil tank (I couldn't get a good angle through the sender access hole) it rings hollow, so i doubt anything is actually in there.
This leads me to wonder,
1. Assuming oil doesn't remain trapped in a few cylinders; was i actually running that low yet the oil gauge level remained middle of the gauge. 2. Did ( and if so, how much) the PO "trim" the sender gauge so its reads normal when low. Intentional or otherwise, this has me concerned. How much can that lever effectively be bent and still work?
2. Im assuming the oil cooler circuit remains at capacity via thermostat shutting off, so i figure 2.5 liters captive.
3. My two handed scale seems to think the drain container is half full ( will verify later) 7 quarts or so, i was possibly running 2 quarts low yet the gauge was registering in the middle

I do check the dipstick however the last time was probably 3 drives prior to this, with a month between each.

I plan on finishing this weekend once my oil return line o rings deliver.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Always check the dipstick! Scary ..................

Quick Reply: Empty oil tank