Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

front toe problem/mystery

Old 06-30-2018, 07:20 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts
Default front toe problem/mystery

front toe can be adjusted and set, tie rod adjustment can be locked in place.
steering wheel held in place with generic holder.

with tie rod adjustment locked, rolling the car 4 to 10 feet results in toe measurement changing by up to 2mm measured using smart strings.
the margin of error, as in using strings, digital caliper, human eyes and so on seems to be .5mm.

as an example, toe measures 0, roll car 5ft back, toe measures 2mm out, roll car 5ft further back toe measures .5mm in.
changes seem to be random and not linear, like a wobble.
rolling the car back to original spot doesn't bring measurement back to original setting.
tested on 4 different sets of wheels/tires. one set of tires is brand new so no klag build up.
haven't found a relationship between right and left toe change.
both sides seem to wobble independently.

the toe wobble had been worse, in the 5mm range, the wobble was reduced by changing parts.
parts changed to new on both sides

-ball joint(caster ball joint)

-tie rod inner and outer heim joint.

-wheel bearings

-control arm monoballs

-steering rack

-spherical bearing in camber plate

steering rack mount shows no cracks. cross and side members show no cracks or bends.
tub mounting points for cross member and side members show no cracks. everything is properly torqued.

steering wheel doesn't shake or vibrate when driving and connection feels solid, quick and responsive.
this is a 1997 993 track only car with no rubber in the suspension.
my smart strings measuring method was tested by measuring rear toe and rolling the car. no change in rear toe.
front camber does not change when rolling the car.
garage floor is smooth and flat, steering wheel holder works well so I don't think this is just the tires moving the steering wheel.

the only steering parts not changed are the steering shaft and universal joint.
can't move or shake the steering shaft by the universal joint and the rubber donut on the shaft seems to be solid.
no clicking or noise from turning steering wheel.

so what am I missing?
what other bearing or bushing is next in line to throw at this problem?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Rack bushings?
Old 06-30-2018, 11:56 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Two things to check. One is the control arm bushings. As an owner of a (very) variable rear toe on a race car recently, I can attest that it's both scary and dangerous. The reason was... no fender washer on the outside of the bushings and the bushing simply walking in and out of carrier over the bolt's head. The other was more of a loud clunking issue, but, I'm sure, also somewhat variable geometry due to... stretched out threads on the alignment bolts.

both of these things happened on a non-P car, so YMMV. But check anyway. I suspect the bushings for some reason (mine weren't rubber, either).
Old 07-01-2018, 10:05 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Rack bushings?
only 2 seasons old
Old 07-01-2018, 10:08 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nile13
Two things to check. One is the control arm bushings. As an owner of a (very) variable rear toe on a race car recently, I can attest that it's both scary and dangerous. The reason was... no fender washer on the outside of the bushings and the bushing simply walking in and out of carrier over the bolt's head. The other was more of a loud clunking issue, but, I'm sure, also somewhat variable geometry due to... stretched out threads on the alignment bolts.

both of these things happened on a non-P car, so YMMV. But check anyway. I suspect the bushings for some reason (mine weren't rubber, either).
entirely possible the manufacturer produced a defective product.
but I can't start changing out brand new just replaced items.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:12 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Were the wheels hard to balance? Maybe you are measuring variations in the tires?

Check ride height, and tie rod level, at each measurement. Maybe you are measuring some minor suspension articulation.

That’s all I can think of.
Old 07-01-2018, 07:15 PM
Pete Debusmann
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you locked the steering rack? There is a threaded hole in the rack. When the steering wheel is centered there is a “divot” in the movable part of the rack. You can take a bolt with the proper thread and grind it to a point. You then screw it into this hole and it locks the rack so it can’t be moved. Do this a see if the toe still changes. I’m betting your steering wheel is moving ever so slightly.

Pete

ps. There should be a rubber plug in the hole that you need to remove first.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k722070
entirely possible the manufacturer produced a defective product.
but I can't start changing out brand new just replaced items.
Check, don't replace. The bushings are sticking out of the carrier, it'll be obvious. The alignment bolts... they are inexpensive.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:48 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

I've read basal skull's thread on the centering pin, and its a great idea to isolate the problem.
but it worries me because the rack centering hole is cone shaped, so if there is pressure coming from whatever is the source of the toe deflection the steering shaft centering hole could ride up the m10 bolt damaging the shaft seals. but I've never taken apart a rack so really don't know.
my current plan is to somehow lock the universal joint in place. if that can be done the issue will be isolated to either the suspension or the steering shaft.
Old 07-01-2018, 08:50 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nile13
Check, don't replace. The bushings are sticking out of the carrier, it'll be obvious. The alignment bolts... they are inexpensive.
read the first post, there is a list of all the brand new replacement parts already installed.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:19 PM
Pete Debusmann
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Locking the rack with a bolt is the procedure that is in the factory shop manual. Of course they use a special tool, which is a bolt with a cone on the end. I made my own using a bench grinder.

Trying to lock the steering at the u-joint won’t work any better than trying to lock it at the steering wheel. You won’t do any damage doing it the factory way

pete
Old 07-01-2018, 10:29 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

I'll try to find the m10x1.0 that basal skull reports is the correct size.
this test should determine if the problem is suspension or steering shaft parts.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:06 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k722070
read the first post, there is a list of all the brand new replacement parts already installed.
I've given you two particular things to check. If you wish to continue throwing money at the car indiscriminately, please feel free to do so. I'm out.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:11 AM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

The only thing that comes to mind is the mating surface of the hub, debris or rust keeping the wheel from mating flat. There are two things against that though. Your multiple removal / reinstall of wheels should have caught that by now, and the no vibration when driving.

Sounds like all of the usual suspects on the front suspension / steering have been verified good.

A question for those more knowledgeable than me:
Ii there anything in the rear that would affect front geometry? I think not.
When following along that line, what happens when the vehicle is moved? A person gets inside and grabs the steering wheel while someone pushes.
Your ride height changes with weight. Doesn't ride height affect alignment? ( I am aware it is usually minimal, and maybe not the toe, but I am thinking out of the box)
Are you sure the other things that affect alignment are staying stable when moving the car?

just a few wag, not a professional opinion.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

since new wheel bearings, double check front hub bolts are still tight. Cannot think of anything else going on there based upon what you have already checked.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front toe problem/mystery