Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaks, wind noises, rattles, squeaks and whines.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 05:18 AM
D.G..
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wsp964,

From the initial post in this thread:

"It turned out to be the plastic inner liners of the rear fenders. Tightening and repositioning them was not enough to stop them vibrating in the wind, so I cut along a piece of hose ans slid it along the edge of the plastic so when it sat in the lip of the fender it was snug and didn't rattle any longer."

I've got to try this one. I wonder what kind of hose to use? Maybe I will stop by an aquarium store tomorrow and see what I can find.

Another solution would be to stop driving over potholes... (Sorry, I couldn't resist!)
Old 04-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

DG - you beat me to it!

It's no joke though as I bent a wheel on my Saab (18" BBS with 40 series tyres...) when I lived in the States accidentally driving through a pot hole.

Ever since, I would rather slow down then go through that again.

Cheers,

David
Old 04-02-2004, 10:00 AM
dr kenneth e garchow
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

on the fender liner fix how about using rubber door edege molding rathce than hose that i assume you split to slip over the edege.
Old 04-02-2004, 03:51 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried just tightening the fender liners? Apparently this doesn't always solve the problem, but it did on my car.
Old 04-03-2004, 05:07 AM
D.G..
Instructor

I have tightened and adjusted the fender liners numerous times, but the minor rattles always come back.

Unnoticeable when the windows are up (all winter).

Door edge molding is an interesting thought, but I would prefer to use a small, highly flexible rubber hose.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:54 PM
Wsp964
Racer

If somebody fixes the fender liners with some kind of rubber, would it be possible to take pics meanwhile ?

Think lots of members would like it.... maybe post them at p-car.com

WSP993
Old 04-03-2004, 04:32 PM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say fenders, do you mean bumpers? Excuse my ignorance.

Also get a dull clunk when I drive over pot holes and speed bumps, etc. even when i drive off. it comes from the rear i around the wheel area, is this the same thing Wsp964 mentioned?
Old 04-03-2004, 10:17 PM
D.G..
Instructor

Mysterious dash board rattle fixed!!!

I finally located the source of a rattle that has been driving me bonkers. It seemed to come from behind the Tach, or behind the radio.

It turned out to be the passenger airbag wires flopping around on top of the glove box. Also, the airbag wire connector was loosely mounted to the chassis.

In order to get to the problem, I had to remove the glove box door and liner. This is an easy thing to do and only takes 10 or 15 minutes. One zip tie and a little friction tape and the problem was solved.

Last edited by D.G..; 04-04-2004 at 03:06 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:38 PM
D.G..
Instructor

GabiOsz,

The fender liners are inside the wheel wells. They tend to rattle or vibrate on a high percentage of 993s.

Today I tried two types of hose to fix this problem.

(1) Silicone aquarium air hose. Didn't work well. It is too small and doesn't grip the liner very well.

(2) 5/32" automotive vacuum hose. Worked OK on the front, but was a little too small to fill the gap in the rear. This stuff looks like it belongs on the car, and grips very well. I bought two larger sizes this evening, and will try them on the other side of tomorrow.

The result so far is an 85% reduction in the vibration/noise on the side that was done. There is still a little rattle where the liner comes into contact with the metal fender above and inboard of the front wheel. I tried a patch of automotive/marine weather stripping at the contact point, but the stuff I had was too thick and I had to remove it.

Update: I used 1/4" fuel line for the rear, and it worked well.

Last edited by D.G..; 04-04-2004 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:27 PM
Tim Ashfield
Addict
Rennlist Member

Windshield rope part number 996 541 903 00
Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 AM
D.G..
Instructor

For the fender-liner fix, I tried several diameters of automotive vacuum hose and fuel hose. The one that worked the best was 1/4" fuel hose.

I cut a slit in it length wise with a box cutter, and fitted it over the outer lip of the fender liner. It took 3' of hose for each of the rears, and about 18" for each of the fronts. On the front, I only did the rear half of the liner. The front half didn't rattle.

This fix got rid of most of the fender liner noise, but the heat shields still make a little noise. I bent one of them (slightly), which helped a little. I would be interested in hearing about a comprehensive fix for heat shield rattle.

I hope this is useful.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:56 AM
D.G..
Instructor

While I'm at it, here is an update on the dash-board rattle fix.

After securing the passenger airbag wires, there was still a squeak coming from the area around the passenger side air vent. I removed the glove box, the behind-the-dash air duct, and the vent assembly from the dash. The noise was completely gone with the parts removed.

I lined the slot that the vent assembly slides into with adhesive backed weather stripping, and put the whole thing back together. The noise didn't come back.

One more rattle/squeak bites the dust.

By the way, removing the vent assembly from the dash is a RPITA.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:03 AM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

I have only recently purchased a low mileage 1998 Targa. One of the very last air-cooled models. During the test drive I was delighted to find it was very quiet,very little noticeable scuttle shake with firm suspension (Bilstein Sports all round), new Conti 2's and in general good condition (one or two cosmetic issues but that's another story). Anyhow, when the car was delivered 2 days ago all was fine but in the afternoon it rained while we were out for a spin. I parked at the shops, did a spot of shopping and got in to drive off. As we moved away the squeak appeared somewhere behind me in the area of the back seats - or so it appeared. it was loud and annoying and took some of the shine of my not insignificant purchase!

Yesterday, on a bright sunny English autumnal day we went out again - the noise was still there.. My wife did the investigating while I drove over indifferent English country roads (no investment - we are broke after all!). I then decided to open the Targa top and BINGO the noise stopped immediately. Closed it again and there it was. I deduced it was caused by a wet rubber seal against the Targa glass sliding roof.
After a 60 miles drive with the top open, i closed it shortly before arriving home - the noise had gone.
A light application of silicone spray on the dry rubber I think is in order...

One final point:

Quote:
8) Noise: Sound of liquid pouring into bowl coming from behind rear right seat.
Solution: Learn to love it. It's the oil returning to the oil tank.

I can hardly hear the oil return in my 22 year old 3.2 Carrera but it sounds like water going down the pipe in the 993. you are right, I will learn to love it, after all it is Mobile 1....!

Cheers

Dave
Old 10-11-2009, 01:48 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Adding a strut bar really helped eliminate a lot of the creaking I used to hear in my cab.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:12 PM
dtunnicliffe
Track Day

Thanks for that. The 'book' (performance handbook) says no gain from adding such a device for the 3.2 Carrera - I took no notice, bought one, fitted it and WOW - what a difference! Much stiffer feel to the front, sharper etc. especially on the older shell. So I have no doubt your words are wise and will add to my 'wish list'.
Looking at your Upgrades - you have been a busy chap. I especially fancy the HID's. What do you think of LED driving lights? Opting for UK legal white indicator front lights (rears already done by previous owner - the expensive bit here - but he failed to do the cheaper front ones...), alloy pedal set and changing the Sony Mini-Disk stereo. Not even sure i could buy mini disks any more... The car does have Bose speakers however which are neat..
This car WILL be a sharp as my 3.2 is one day..
Cheers

Dave

Quick Reply: Creaks, wind noises, rattles, squeaks and whines.