Sponsored by:

Transmission Carrier Mount and Rubber Buffer on Thrust Rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 AM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission Carrier Mount and Rubber Buffer on Thrust Rod

What is the effect of replacing the Transmission Carrier Mount and Rubber Buffers on Thrust Rod? The buffers are quite cheap, but the carrier mount is expensive.

I added a function first transmission mount insert to go with my RS motor mounts. I'm wondering if it is beneficial to also replace these mounts to improve stability of the transmission. It seems that the main mount does the majority of stabilizing the transmission.

I think the image below is from a tiptronic, but I'm referring to #4 and #7 in the diagram below for a manual.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:49 PM
Top-Gun
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There's an inexpensive way to upgrade those bushings. A company called Powerflex makes both an insert or a complete replacement for #4 (for the replacement you remove the rubber bushing leaving the shell, and the new poly one presses in). They also have poly replacements for #7.

I did a complete #4 replacement and the #7s but I did them at the same time as adding a poly insert to the main nose mount, so I can't say what additional benefit they offer. I do notice a "howl" transmitted to the cabin when coasting in gear which was never there before, so they do add more NVH.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:32 AM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Originally Posted by Top-Gun
There's an inexpensive way to upgrade those bushings. A company called Powerflex makes both an insert or a complete replacement for #4 (for the replacement you remove the rubber bushing leaving the shell, and the new poly one presses in). They also have poly replacements for #7.

I did a complete #4 replacement and the #7s but I did them at the same time as adding a poly insert to the main nose mount, so I can't say what additional benefit they offer. I do notice a "howl" transmitted to the cabin when coasting in gear which was never there before, so they do add more NVH.
Thanks for this info, I was checking out the powerflex ones, and stock ones Just trying to understand the impact of those parts by themselves.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:11 AM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Follow up to this thread:

I installed the powerflex bushings. Compared to my stock bushings (which as far as I know are the originals?), there is definitely less engine movement, and the car is smoother on/off throttle. Not a huge difference, but there was no negative impact to NVH that I could perceive. The bushings were fairly cheap in terms of Porsche parts, and took only about 15 mins to install.

I chose the street bushings, but they also offer a race version, and I chose the insert to the thrust rod bushing rather than the replacement which requires pressing out the old one.

I can't say how this would compare to brand new, fresh stock bushings, but I have to imagine this is a stiffer solution.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:56 PM
911F1
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by NoleenELT

I installed the powerflex bushings. Compared to my stock bushings (which as far as I know are the originals?), there is definitely less engine movement, and the car is smoother on/off throttle. Not a huge difference, but there was no negative impact to NVH that I could perceive. The bushings were fairly cheap in terms of Porsche parts, and took only about 15 mins to install.

I chose the street bushings, but they also offer a race version, and I chose the insert to the thrust rod bushing rather than the replacement which requires pressing out the old one.

I can't say how this would compare to brand new, fresh stock bushings, but I have to imagine this is a stiffer solution.
Post a link to the powerflex parts you used. Thanks
Old 07-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Enso
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NoleenELT

i also installed Powerflex , for me it was a significant difference in shifting. I got the street version
Old 07-20-2018, 08:08 AM
NoleenELT
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911F1
Post a link to the powerflex parts you used. Thanks
The part numbers are:
PFR57-121
PFR57-127

Total cost was $86 shipped.

Quick Reply: Transmission Carrier Mount and Rubber Buffer on Thrust Rod