Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: sedan opinions and experiences..S8, 740 or e55

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003 | 03:05 AM
88clbsport
Pro

Post OT: sedan opinions and experiences..S8, 740 or e55

The only reason I posted here is that I think this is the best group on Rennlist!! I am also open to other options.

I am looking at the low to mid 40k range and need an automatic so the M5 (my first choice)is not an option. I also like the xjr and can get really good deals on them, but my wife (who will also be driving it) feels it's too cramped feeling. The 740 would have the M sport package and could either be short or long wheelbase from what I understand in '01. Of the various cars I found, the s8 seems like the best deal AND a little more unique.

I have owned all 3 makes, but sold my '00 s4 shortly after buying it for a 911. I know what I am getting...a big sedan that won't see any track time. It will however make trips to Lake Arrowhead and Big Bear (in the Mtns for those out of So Cal)

I really want another 993, but with another kid on the way need to be "somewhat" pratical.
Old 06-18-2003 | 05:34 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I drove last year an E55 and it blew my socks off! Tons of torque and that motor really pulls. Ofcourse its still a large sedan but for what is worth I think its a great all around car. The new one must be flying but its what 90K?.

I have also driven a normal 750IL a few years ago but it does not compare i think with the E55. Wonderfull sedan for sure great for long trips etc.
I have never driven an S8, I agree its unique.
One of my all time favorite cars is the previous generation S600. My best friend had one till he traded it in for a new S500. IMO the quality has gone down I really do not like the feel of the new car, too plasticy, too disconected. By comparison besides the amazing V12(what a sound) of the S600 that car felt it was built like a tank and it cruised like no other car I have driven. I remember 5 years ago i was driving the car from Houston to Austin, we were cruising at 80+ so comfortably and I could not stop admiring the way the car was travelling down the road.
If you find one it worths a test drive for sure.
Old 06-18-2003 | 09:14 AM
Tech-Law
Pro

I'd get the S8 Jason - I have an A8 that I've basically brought to S8 specs (don't tell Sharon - she has no idea).

Fantastic vehicle especially in harsh weather but after driving the p-car it'll feel over boosted and under damped. They've taken a huge hit in resale value so the bang for the buck is phenomenal. Much lighter than the other choices since it's almost all aluminum (I think almost 400 lbs less than the comparable BMW/Benz). The 4.2 V8 is an absolute turbine but I would suggest a tiptronic chip if you go that route - the automatic is slow and annoying in stock form - it is adaptive though so don't forget to wind it out every now and then!

Sorry I missed your call last night - Sharon was dying to take a ride in the new p-car and I don't want to mess with a pregnant chick!
Old 06-18-2003 | 03:10 PM
88clbsport
Pro

I had considered one of the big v-12's but heard from a bunch of people they were maintenance nightmares. Maybe I should do some more research on the older s600. I do like older MBZ's and feel that they are built much more solid than newer ones. My '79 300CD is bulletproof and I grew up with 220 and 240d sedans that would still be running if the Michigan winters didn't rust the heck out of them.

Quick Reply: OT: sedan opinions and experiences..S8, 740 or e55