recaro SRD's (bummer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 10:02 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recaro SRD's (bummer)

I just picked up a set of recaro SRD's with sliders and mounting brackets. I am bummed at how heavy they are. The SRD's with sliders & mounting brackets weigh in at 38lbs.

If the stock 993 seats weigh 49.5lbs (unconfirmed) then i'm only saving 11.5lbs per seat or 23lbs total. I keep reading that people are able to save 70lbs for both seats by doing this switch. What am I missing something?

I'm bummed!

My next step is to take out the factory seat and weigh it. If it truly only weighs in at 49.5lbs - well then the recaro's are going for sale.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 01-04-2004, 10:54 PM
vuugti
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boris,
Sure the switch didn't involve the non adjustable SPG's? That would come pretty close to the weight savings you quoted. I assumed 14#'s per seat and 5#'s per slider as well, which, is probably a little heavy.

Regards
Andy
Old 01-04-2004, 10:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 497 Likes on 320 Posts

Boris,

My stock seats weighed 62 lbs each. I saved almost 60 lbs total with my rigid backed, 33 lb GT3 seats.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:00 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Boris, my 993 seats weighed around 48.5 lbs (22 kg) each, iirc. So your estimate seems reasonable, depending on number of motors in the seat, etc

The SRDs may be the wrong seat to get if weight reduction is your goal. The Recaro SPGs are more like 14-15 lbs each with sliders.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:32 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boris - ditch the sliders...well at least for the drivers side. how often does anyone else besides you drive your car anyways?!?

the GT3 seats may be the best way to go (esp if cloth ones).

Old 01-05-2004, 01:07 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for all the comments. i guess i'm encouraged if my seats weigh 62lbs but discouraged if they weight 48.5 lbs. i'll probably pull the seats sometime this week. meanwhile i'll keep my fingers crossed - go figure who would hope that their seats weigh a lot. i have the 4 way supple leather seats in my car.

i can't go with the gt3 seats, simply because i need to be able to get my kids in the back. otherwise being the factory original snob i am - i'd be all over the gt3 seats.

i'll report back and post some pics....

cheers,
boris
Old 01-05-2004, 05:40 AM
Poon
Instructor

Boris,

Can't you just lift them into the back with the hood down?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:07 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

kim, so is it worth doing for a net savings of 40lbs?
Old 01-05-2004, 01:18 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 442 Likes on 241 Posts

Boris, I thought I was going to lose use of my back seats completely after I put the racing shells in. But with the slider in the fully forward position, my (adult) friends still manage to squeeze into the back and because the seat is so much shallower there is actually more legroom. It is not an ideal solution but it could still work.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts

For those contemplating changing out their stock seats for race seats, here is the trade off...you can install EVO seats or some such aproximation. I have the EVO 2 seats to accomodate my fat butt...but (no pun intended), these new lighter seats do not flip forward for access top the back, and they have almost 0 padding. Great for the track...but a bit on the uncomfortable side for the street. In addition, race seats make getting in and out of the car more of a chore. However the weight reduction and the addded feel for the car is great.

The up side, they weigh less and you don't slide around in your seat going around corners, and having the competition belts and sub strap coming through the seat seems to be the best way to go.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Boris, did you look at the new Cobra Misanos? They seem to offer what you are looking for . . . I've been thinking that if I replaced my seats, that would be what I would opt for.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to completely agree with Martin - I recently removed SRD's from my track car and put in a set of Recaro race seats (Pro Racer SPG on driver's side & SPG on passenger's side).
The weight difference is major - I didn't weigh them it's significant enough that I can carry the SPG seats around the garage with just one hand; the SRD's were quite heavy.
I will say that I've done quite a bit of driving with the Pro Racer SPG and have found it to be very comfortable - I had two 200 mile trips and find it to be as comfortable as the SRD's were.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:03 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Well I took out the driver's seat and it only weighed it at 48lbs. It is a 4 way supple leather seat. So I guess I'm not doing the SRD's. oh well all that for nothing....

I need more ways to dump significant weight off my car!!!!

Cheers,
Boris
Old 01-07-2004, 06:10 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Other than the weight issue, how does the SRD compare to the stock seat in terms of comfort and the ability of holding you in the seat?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:35 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The SRD is far superior in holding a driver/passenger in the seat. However, i prefer the looks of the factory leather. I like the way the GT3 seats look, but quite frankly i need a seat that folds forward.

Boris

Quick Reply: recaro SRD's (bummer)