Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible wiring-harness problem (long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2002, 12:35 AM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Possible wiring-harness problem (long)

I'm trying to see what the consensus is out there. Does anyone think I have the dreaded wiring-harness problem.

I have had a number of potentially wiring related issues and I'm starting to get a bit suspicous of the root cause.

1) Soon after purchasing the car the front locking motors for the roof (I've got a cab) started going wrong.
2) About six months ago my oil pressure reading started sticking in the up position immediately upon turning on the ignition.
3) I have had 4-5 instances where I have turned on the radio and gotten no sound whatsoever. Turning it off and on again has fixed the problem.
4) Over the last four weeks I have started getting a heavy almost staticky sound coming out of two of the three speakers on the passengers side as well as a high pitched whine which increases in pitch as I increase speed (high pitched whine disapperas when I turn off the radio). I have verified that the distortion is definitely a wiring problem and not coming from the speakers by removing the speaker panels and switching the drivers side to the passengers side and vice versa (after the switch the distortion was still on the passenger side).

I know that 1) and 2) are pretty common problems but after seeing 3) and 4) I am really wondering whether most of this is due to a wiring issue.

Any comments appreciated.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:21 AM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Alex,

Get me your vin #, build date and harness dates (see my site for more info) and I can make an educated guess for you. NO way to tell from the info you have provided. I have to say off the top of my head it would be the first time I have heard of any of those symptoms. The radio sounds like a different wiring problem, and the top is kind of strange, but that is sometimes the first sign of a problem.

E. J.
Old 01-26-2002, 01:37 PM
alex_95_cab
Instructor

Thanks for the reply.

I'll post the VIN# later today. I do remember though that it is an early 95 model within the VIN# range of cars that have been found to have wiring harness issues.

Quick Reply: Possible wiring-harness problem (long)