Gurgling Sound at Startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2002, 06:58 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Gurgling Sound at Startup

I know what you're probably thinking...this has already been covered in ealier posts...why doesn't this guy go read before he posts!! Well, read on - it's a hoot!

While traveling, I often will look through the Auto classifieds just for fun -- I have found some treasures this way including the old 'vette sitting in the garage.
Anyway, I'm keepin my eyes out for a track car and found a listing for a '95 993 "Turbo" (that's what the ad said) for sale by an individual, 24000 miles, and "priced to sell". Not a great candidate for a track car (IMHO) but I thought it was worth a look.
It turns out it wasn't a turbo (had very cheap turbo-like aero kit on it) and had not been well cared for - actually in poor shape. Even appears to have been wrecked - the owner said it was just dirty. Also, no service records.
The owner (probably about 65 yrs old) started it up - I listened for a minute and then commented to him that "there is that gurgling sound that seems to stump many of us" to which he promptly replied "Son, sounds like you don't know much about these cars. Keep in mind the radiator is in the front while the engine is in the back...takes some time to pump the water all around."

...He still has the car
Old 01-25-2002, 07:28 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMAO!!!!

That's too funny!.. I guess that goes to show that there is no shortage of ignorance out there.

That reminds me of another co worker that went to look at a 959, but turned out be a late 70's half completed conversion project. Who did they honestly think they were going to fool?

I'd love to take a look at the original ad, if you have an online link.

Jeff
Old 01-25-2002, 07:34 PM
E. J. - 993 Alumni
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much did he want for the water cooled 993, Rick?

E. J.
Old 01-25-2002, 07:35 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must have been one of those 996 prototype mules...
Old 01-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry - I don't have an on-line link; I guess that's why the ad had the word "Turbo" in quotes.
He indicated he was looking for low 50s for the car...if that's what he wants, he's going to have that car for awhile.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by rick-fwx:
[QB]He indicated he was looking for low 50s for the car...QB]<hr></blockquote>

Yep, might take a while to sell it
Old 01-26-2002, 10:26 PM
Suwipin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

[quote]"there is that gurgling sound that seems to stump many of us" to which he promptly replied "Son, sounds like you don't know much about these cars. Keep in mind the radiator is in the front while the engine is in the back...takes some time to pump the water all around."<hr></blockquote>

I wonder if you giggled when he told you this

Quick Reply: Gurgling Sound at Startup