993 Forum 1995-1998

Fabspeed RSR kit vs. X-Pipe and Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 12:24 AM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Fabspeed RSR kit vs. X-Pipe and Headers

I'm trying to decide between the Fabspeed RSR Muffler Header kit, or combining Fabspeed's headers and their X-Pipe for my 993. Both would use the same headers. The X-Pipe has sports cats and requires me to keep my Fister 3 mufflers. The RSR kit comes with the same sports cats too, but replaces the Fister right and left mufflers with a single centrally mounted muffler. Not sure if the RSR muffler is a crossover too.

Anyone have experience of this RSR kit? Any view or sound clips of this versus the x pipe?

Thanks, Meenrod
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds intriguing. So Robin Sun Racing (RSR) exhausts are no longer around then? This was the forerunner of the Fister modified exhausts
Old 05-01-2018, 10:22 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the fabspeed rsr no heat no cats version, only because my car is in a 10:1 class and deleting the cats and heats saves 60lbs.
it reads like you are only looking for different headers, my opinion is don't do it.
the only benefit to the fabspeed headers is the low price and that there really isn't anything else available off the shelf.
the downside to the fabspeed headers is poor product design. the header to heads fit is horrible.
sadly the fit of the headers needs to be horrible because the header to cat/muffler connection is also poorly designed.

the rsr muffler is ok, somewhat quiet and no drone.
but again, pathetic design.
fabspeed designed the muffler to hang down below the engine, kind of like hanging a 2x12 behind and below your engine in the airflow.
at idle the rsr muffler sounds more like an old vw bug than a 911.

anyway that's my review. pos product design, but if you really really need headers there isn't much else available.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:40 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

I'm just looking for something a little louder with more pops on the over run and a little more drama. More 'metallic' sounding .

I guess the X-Pipe would work just fine then with my Fisters Without the headers. I always thought Fabspeed products were very well designed too.

Not particularly drawn to headers, was looking at the RSR list which included them.

Thanks for the view.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

My experience is that adding sports cats (100 cell in my case) made a massive difference to the volume.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:03 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

what you are describing could be achieved with fabspeed supercup exhaust.
there is a drone at some rpm's, but keeping cats and everything else stock you will get tons of drama, lots of pop, lots of noise, great startup sound.
many people have bought them, love them but can't handle it for very long so post them in the for sale section.
should be lots of posts on here about supercups, maybe some video and maybe some for sale.
less drama but still good sound would be sport cats with the fister stage 3 exhaust.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:16 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

I had Supercups for about half an hour and then took them off as they droned so badly. They sound great but caveat emptor.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

General forum consensus seems to be Fabspeed X-pipe with or with out sport cats + Fister Stage 1 or 2 is the way to go. That or leave the OEM cat and swap mufflers to Fister Stage 3s.

I have a Fabspeed X-pipe with Robin Sun (RSR, but not Fabspeed RSR) modified mufflers (similar to Fister muffler mods but different). I have run the setup with 200-cell Sport Cats and with cat bypass pipes. Both sound amazing. Swapping to cat bypass adds more noise. If you want to get noticed, run cat bypass pipes. If you just want to enjoy a nice burbly exhaust with slightly less environmental guilt attached, run sport cats with the X-pipe. Eventually I may swap the RSR modified mufflers for Fisters of some variety, but it is a low priority right now because other things need my money/attention.

The added cross-talk from the x-pipe certainly added a grin to my face. I have no regrets about ordering it.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

I already have Fister 3's- will be looking at sports cats and x-pipe from fabspeed based on the views above .thanks .
Old 05-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Todynot
Burning Brakes

Received 156 Likes on 82 Posts

Spyder_man...you notice or feel and performance gain with FS set up or is it only sound?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:26 PM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well it seems faster, but I'm pretty sure that's just because the added sound encourages heavier throttling.

Sure the Fabspeed x-pipe and modified cans shave a little weight off the rear (which is good), but I doubt it helps the 0-60 time at all.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:30 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Fabspeed claim +18whp and +19tq for their X-Pipe setup.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:12 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a Carcraphic X-Pipe with 200 cell cats and Fister III’s and the sound is absolutely menacing with pops burbles and zero drone. Make no mistake it’s really loud but if you manage the throttle well in sensitive areas (such as your street late at night) it’s perfectly manageable. At WOT it’s straight up terrifying though lol
Old 05-01-2018, 09:13 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Yes!!! I want this.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:02 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

It's my experience on both my Cayman and prior c4s that cats increase both sound and performance substantially. The Cayman has headers -- because that's where the cats are and thus going to 200 cell required new headers. For a (mainly) street-driving, I wouldn't bother with headers on our cars, as the cats will probably get you where you want to be and if not, you can always put headers on later. In terms of drone, I'd stick with Fister as they seem to be the best drone-free manufacturer out that and Fabspeed has a spotty reputation in this regard (no personal experience, just what I've read....).

Quick Reply: Fabspeed RSR kit vs. X-Pipe and Headers