Continental tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:54 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Continental tires

I bought my car this summer with 17k miles. It had new Continental Sport Contact 2 (N2 designation) tires.

I am about to turn 20k miles and my rear tires are gone! I originally was running 44 psi (per the owners manual) but quickly reduced rear tire pressure to around 38 psi after reading numerous Rennlist posts.

I don't track my car nor drive it real hard. I knew 993's ate rear tires but I did expect to get a little more mileage than this.

My front tires are in great shape and don't need replacing so I'll be buying another set of Continentals for the rear. Hello Tirerack......

Has anyone had a similar experience with rear tires, Continental or otherwise? I feel like I could win the contest for wearing out a set of rears.

I had my car aligned and corner balanced today and the rear alignment was 'not that far off' according to the shop.

I can't wait to tell my wife I have to buy tires every 3k miles. Or maybe I can.....

chuck
Old 01-02-2004, 10:19 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check my alignment as I too have Conti Sport N2's and on my first set that I installed I got almost 19,XXX miles...I just drive on the street, but spirited sometimes.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:32 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks rc,

What a difference. I did not get the before and after spec sheet on my alignment (the shop is faxing it to me tomorrow). My alignment must have been more than a little off. Maybe I'll get that many miles on the set I'm about to buy.

Love the front bumper on your car, by the way.

chuck
Old 01-03-2004, 01:06 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used 97 cab in April of 2000 with new Continental's.....car had about 15000 miles at purchase

Have since put on about 4000 miles per year of which there were 3 to 5 drivers ed's per year ..... Have since replaced the rears two times seemed to get about 4000 to 5500 miles per time. finally the fronts went and have just put on Michelin Pilot Sport and can not beleive the difference....much better feel at all speeds and conditions.

End result the drivers eds I believe took serious mileage off ....on the last one had about 4 hours at Putnam on one day and ended up almost with slicks. I think with normal driving i may have gotten 10,000 to 12,000 off each set of rears but DE's are way too much fun.

have since bought new fiske wheels with Pilot Cups all in the sake of saving money.....atleast that is what i told my wife.......

Wait till all four are needed and then get something new

Quick Reply: Continental tires