New suspension

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:43 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up New suspension

I received Bilstein HD's for Christmas and had them installed today. My car had H&R springs with stock shocks and the ride was horrible. I was going to put on a set of stock springs with the new shocks but circumstances prevented me from installing the stock springs (long story).

SO, at the last minute, I decided to put the new shocks on with the H&R's. My car is absolutely transformed. The ride is 100% improved. I drove some familiar roads and can't believe the difference in ride and handling.

I'm so happy I just had to post!

chuck
Old 01-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Chuck,

I'm going to have the same combo done to my car in a few months, and I'm REALLY looking forward to the improvement. How exactly has the car improved its handling? Let me know. Thanks.

Rich
Old 01-02-2004, 11:28 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rich,

Prior to today, my car had no suspension compliance whatsoever. It would 'slam' down on minor road imperfections. This was obviously due to extremely worn out shocks.

The big difference I noticed today was in compliance and control. For example, there is an expressway entrance that I know very well. During entry onto the ramp, there is a 'bump' in the road. Prior to today, my car would literally get unsettled when hitting this bump. Today, my wheels were in constant contact with the road when going over this same place and there was no feeling of a momentary 'lightness' in the rear end.

My car still rides 'stiff' but it has an entirely different feel today than it ever has. I have no experience with a stock suspension in a 993 so I can't provide that comparison for you.

Remember, that the H&R's lower the car about 1.5 inches (from stock height) so there can be clearance problems. I recently had to have my front splitters repaired from damage done by the previous owner.

Hope this is at least a little help..
chuck
Old 01-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Rennlist Member

Chuck,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to track the car later this year, but I'm not too fond of the way it handles at the moment. A large part of this is that my shocks are shot (57k miles) and there is a lot of roll in the corners.

My previous '86 Carrera had Bilstein HD & Sports and the car handled great. I hope my 993 handles the same way with the HDs and H&R springs.

Thanks, Chuck.

Rich
Old 01-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by 911
My previous '86 Carrera had Bilstein HD & Sports and the car handled great. I hope my 993 handles the same way with the HDs and H&R springs.
Rich,

Do you already have these components? If not, I would much rather have the factory ROW M030 springs with the Bilstein's. A much better match than with the H&R's.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:11 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you had this set up in a previous P-car, I think you will like the H&R combo.

I will tell you that I only went with H&R's because my car had them on when I bought them. I thought they were part of my problem. If my budget was bigger (I really stretched my limit for the shocks, install, balance, etc.), I would have strongly considered adding the row M030. There are a lot of fans of this M030 set up-people who I've learned to respect their knowledge and observations. I like it because it would raise my car about .5 inches. My car sits right at 25
Old 01-03-2004, 04:29 AM
Rennlist Member

Viken,

No, I do not have these springs. Thanks for the advice on the RoW M030 springs as this is helpful. Just to recap, for track use you would recommend these springs over H&R and Eiback, correct? Thanks, Viken.

Rich

PS: Btw, I've sent DJ a private message regarding this setup as I know he had a C4S, too.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by 911
No, I do not have these springs. Thanks for the advice on the RoW M030 springs as this is helpful. Just to recap, for track use you would recommend these springs over H&R and Eiback, correct?
Yes. For track and street, I would choose the factory springs over the others. In fact, I wouldn't even touch the Eibach's. The H&R's would be a second choice. They just are a bit too soft.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:26 PM
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Viken & Chuck, for your feedback & advice. This has really helped me out a lot!

Rich
Old 01-03-2004, 02:32 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by Viken
Yes. For track and street, I would choose the factory springs over the others. In fact, I wouldn't even touch the Eibach's. The H&R's would be a second choice. They just are a bit too soft.
Viken, I've just bought a '96 C4 cab to play with and was contemplating the Eibach springs. Can you help me understand why you feel so strongly opposed to them. I don't think this car will ever see the track (there are other toys for that) and was more interested in street ride characteristics and the lowered look. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-03-2004, 03:07 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recall seeing another post in which he stated the H&R's and Eibach's were softer than the M030 (probably because of the progressive nature of these, I'm guessing; I run M030), and that Eibach's specifically were known to sag. The advice I've seen on all these suspension questions is to try to drive someone's car that has the setup you're considering, that seems the only way because everyone has their own idea of what a good ride is.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by labcars
Viken, I've just bought a '96 C4 cab to play with and was contemplating the Eibach springs. Can you help me understand why you feel so strongly opposed to them. I don't think this car will ever see the track (there are other toys for that) and was more interested in street ride characteristics and the lowered look. Thanks for the help.
The Eibach's are too soft and too short. With them, you'll have less suspension travel which sometimes contributes to bottoming out and a harsh ride. There is really no good reason to use these springs.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:57 PM
labcars
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by Viken
The Eibach's are too soft and too short. With them, you'll have less suspension travel which sometimes contributes to bottoming out and a harsh ride. There is really no good reason to use these springs.
Viken, thanks for the reply. I think the H&R's would lower the rear to much and possibly cause issues with the 18x10's I'll be running on the rear. Given that, and your experience and expertise, what would you recommend? The ROW M030, the PSS9, or something else. Please remember that this particular car will unlikely see anything but street use. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:59 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by labcars
Viken, thanks for the reply. I think the H&R's would lower the rear to much and possibly cause issues with the 18x10's I'll be running on the rear. Given that, and your experience and expertise, what would you recommend? The ROW M030, the PSS9, or something else. Please remember that this particular car will unlikely see anything but street use. Thanks in advance for your help.
Bilstein HD dampers and ROW M030 springs. Can't go wrong with that combo.
Old 01-03-2004, 09:13 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I local PCA friend on mine just did the HD's and ROW M030 combo and loves them. His car looks really nice at the ride height he has it set at..

Quick Reply: New suspension