Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are standard exhausts made of?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Question What are standard exhausts made of?

Hi Everyone,

When they took photos of my RSRs for 911 World, the pipes looked awfully rusty! I thought they were stainless steel until I saw them up close. Are the main bodies stainless steel? I'm just wondering how long they are going to last? Having paid for them to be "RSR-ed", I wonder what life I can expect from them. Has anyone had their exhaust rust out yet?

Cheers,

David

Old 01-02-2004, 01:15 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mufflers and pipes are stainless steel, but that doesn't mean corrosion proof, just highly corrosion resistant. I haven't heard anyone complaining of their exhaust system rusting through. Some have felt that their RSRs became a bit louder over time - that might be from internal baffle failure, but who knows?

Chip
Old 01-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David,

I always thought that if something was stainless steel that it would not be magnetic. I think I was wrong on that. Maybe only high quality stainless steel is not magnetic.

Anyway I can tell you that the only parts of the stock mufflers that I've seen that are not magnetic are the tops and the bottoms. The pipes that go into the mufflers and the parts inside the mufflers will easily attact a magnet. The body of the muffler which is two thin sheets of metal is also magnetic.

Below is a photo of a muffler that I took apart some time ago. I polished what you see that is shiny. It will not stay that way for long. That was one of the reasons I switched to what I think are high quality aftermarket mufflers which are handmade of 100% 304 stainless steel.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:30 PM
914und993
Pro

Whether a stainless steel is magnetic or not does not itself define its quality. 400 series stainless steel is generally magnetic, and has less corrosion resistance and strength than 300 series stainless which is usually not magnetic. But, 318 grade stainless IS magnetic, and has higher corrosion resistance the the previously mentioned stainless steels.

So you see, it isn't always simple..... Even the "best" stainless steels will corrode in a harsh enough environment, and the inside of a muffler is pretty harsh.

Chip
Old 01-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses. So that's general agreement on the big casing being SS and a question mark on the pipes.

Sounds like a new challenge for Robin! How about brand new RSRs? I'd pay a reasonable sum for a pair.

Cheers,

David
Old 01-05-2004, 11:17 AM
914und993
Pro

I think all of the muffler assembly is stainless of one grade or another.

Chip

Quick Reply: What are standard exhausts made of?