Zaino And Microfiber Towels

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 02:05 AM
Sputnik
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino And Microfiber Towels

Hello everyone,
I hope you all have had beautiful holidays!

I plan to spend tomorrow by Zaino-ing my car.
Z-16 Clay Bar,
Z-3/Z-5 Polishes,
and their new ZFX accelerator -
are my main weapons in fight for perfection.

I also ordered MICROPAK microfiber towels as a substitute to traditional 100% cotton white towels (100% cotton towels are recommended on Zaino web site. They don't say anything about microfiber ones).

I just would like to make sure it is safe to use microfiber with these polishes.

P.s. I've read through Zaino web site to get an idea how to use their product properly. But any additional tips and tricks are highly welcomed...particularly regarding non-clear coated Guard Red paint.
Thanks in advance!
Old 01-02-2004, 02:11 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

I'd like to see some pics as I have the same color and have not tried Zaino yet. My car has fine micro scratches that I'd love to see taken out. I use P21S and it gives a great shine but the finish needs a good polishing.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:13 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I just got done spending a couple of days claying and polishing the car (it was REALLY bad and the Klasse required 6 hours dry time between applications). I used microfiber towels and the results were great.....
Old 01-02-2004, 10:00 AM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's a test you might try to further persuade yourself of how effective uFiber towels are at not scratching your paint.

Take your best and most cherished 100% pure virgin (yada, yada) US-made cotton towel and wipe the surface of a new CD with it. You *will* see some micro scratches. Take your microfiber towel and do the same and you won't see any scratches
Old 01-02-2004, 10:36 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MicroFiber is perfectly safe to use with Zaino. However, if you apply the Zaino to thick they will sometimes result in some "smearing" as they don't quite have the "gripping" power of 100% cotton. This really is a problem because you just basically have to use more towels or just a little Z-6 to get rid of the smearing.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:03 AM
p_carfan
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

With Zaino WOW! I got hooked on microfiber about 6 months ago after reading several very positive reports on http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ descussion boards (second faviorte after "Rennlist"). I've been very pleased with the results, although they can be expensive, I've purchaced mine on ebay. One thing I've noticed, don't forget to follow the cleaning instructions for the cloths. BTW.....I really like the microfiber drying towels and use the small cloths for dusting the interior.

Have Fun

Last edited by p_carfan; 01-02-2004 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:18 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Microfibre towels are the only way to go. Other towels will clam up with debris and take you 5 timnes as long to do the job.

Microfibre is awesome!!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:22 AM
KeithR3
Pro

Sputnik,

Nothing to worry about. I use Zaino with the MF towels and it's great.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:24 AM
KeithR3
Pro

Heres a pic of my car...Zaino'd.

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/kr...ccormick_4.jpg
Old 01-02-2004, 11:59 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just finished with Zaino (Z5, Z2, ZFX, Z7) on my A6 and my wife’s Passat. I have hundreds of microfiber towels of all brands and the best I found for the Zaino were the 3M detail cloths. The most important thing to remember with any of the microfiber towels is that they are very good at holding on to everything. I used about 20 clean towels on each car.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:03 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Rich - where do you buy your 3M towels?
Old 01-04-2004, 02:05 AM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Keith, your car looks fantastic. I plan to Zaino mine again next weekend, it's been a few months. I also just had it lowered (new shocks/springs) so I'm looking forward to comparing before/after pics. Oh yeah, and a new cab top.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:10 PM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Fluid15,

I get the 3M cloths at the local auto body supply store in 6 packs at a reasonable price. Most auto body stores carry 3M products or will order what you want.

You can also get them at Carecareonline for a much higher price in single pack.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:24 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

I was told that Costco sells them for a good price.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:39 PM
Sputnik
Racer

Well. I followed all the steps outlined on Zaino web site.
First I washed the car with Dawn (I mixed 2 teaspoons in 2 gallons of warm/hot water).
Then I went through whole painted surface with yellow bar in my hand (mix of shampoo and water was used to lubricate the paint before I slide the bar along it).
Then I washed the car again.
Then I applied Z-5 with ZFX.
Then I removed it.
Then I sprayed and wiped the car with Z-6 (Gloss enhancer).
Z-3 with ZFX was next coat. Buffing it out was 23 times easier than first coat of Z-5.
And finally I sprayed the car with Z-6 again...
...I don't know how much time has passed since I started whole thing. But when I stopped and made ten steps back to look at the car from the distance....what I saw was simply unreal. The car looked at me like it had a plastic surgery - 10 years younger at least. No words or even photopictures could convey the level of my excitement about the difference this thing did to my car. Fantastic. If you never tried this product you haven't have life. I think there shouldn't be any other car detailing products in the stores. It is just so much better (No - it is perfect) then any other products I tried. I don't know how long this highly polished and highly saturated look would last - but now I am kinda shy to drive THIS car....

Quick Reply: Zaino And Microfiber Towels