Sunroof Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 10:52 AM
adame993
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof Help

Hello guys,
I realize there are many posts on this topic but I can't seem to find one that closely mirrors my situation.

Long and short of it is as follows: My 993, which has been a restoration project for some time, has a nonfunctional sunroof. At no point in my ownership has it ever worked and I've never particularly cared. Now I'd like to see if I can get it going.

In working through the diagnostics, I wonder how you all would recommend working down the list. I checked the relay and switch but get no motion/sound at all from the motor. The transmission pot metal is fatigued but not broken and I am assuming the cables have let go but am not entirely clear on how that problem would present. I know what my symptoms are but I can't seem to find a good reference for what those signs and symptoms suggest in the differential.

My understanding was that Sunroof motor failures were fairly rare but that doesn't mean I not one of the lucky few.

Does a lack of any clicking or activity at the motor itself point to any underlying cause?

I also cannot seem to find pics of the headliner removal...nervous to tape up a putty knife and just go to town. If anyone has experience with that job, would love feedback.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:02 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

• You should be able to service the motor through the zipper in the headliner, no need to destroy it. I seem to recall there was a card or some insulation under the zipper that had to be removed to reveal the motor. The zipper is plastic and is very old and brittle so I would rub it with a little Teflon or silicone lube on a rag before very carefully opening it not to damage any of its teeth.
  • Detach the wires to the motor and use a volt meter to see if it gets power when you press the rocker.
  • If it is getting power and you hear no sound at all from the motor you will need to investigate the motor
  • If it is not getting power let me know and I will be delighted to forward the appropriate wiring diagram to you.
  • I have never had the motor out but it may have a force limiting switch in it that engages once the roof is fully closed. If the motor is getting power and such a switch is present, test the switch first with an Ohm meter. If the switch is stuck a little electrical cleaner spray to hose it out may do the trick to remove dried lubricant that is causing its actuator to stick. The motor can be tested by using alligator clips on a couple long wires to attach it to your battery directly and see if it actuates. This test can probably be done without removing it from the car if you can gain access to its connector socket going to the motor.
  • I fixed a roof a couple of times and seem to recall the part that fails on the roof mechanism is where the cables attach to little rail cars on the left and right side of the roof panel, the crimp fails on one side car and the little car is no longer held to the cable and jambs the roof.
  • I am sure others have worked on the sunroof so look for other postings. Also, a 924s and 944 sunroof share the same design and certain parts so one can search their forums as well.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Chris L
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

There should be a device in your toolkit to move it manually. Normally used to close a broken sunriof, but you can use it to try to open it as well.

Chris.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Help