993 Forum 1995-1998

Normal oil temperature range during steady highway driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:22 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by 71-3.0-911
When my ballast resistor failed, the temp had to climb significantly (way too high, but never in the red) for the fan to kick on. I only realized this in stop and go traffic. I now have the ballast replaced and a manual fan override switch installed. Guess I'm paranoid about the temp getting too hot now.

Point is, if your ballast resistor has failed, the symptoms are far different than what the OP is experiencing.
This is correct. The oil cooler fan turns on at low speed with the gauge at about 9:00. The high speed at about 10:30. So the OP ‘s question is way below when the fans kick on. The thermostat opens at about 8:00 and then in highway driving the needle will drop back to about 7:30 and stay there - not fluctuating if all else remains constant. This has been my experience in my 993 over 16 years of ownership.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:34 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tosha

Thanks! The other “that’s your thermostat working” responses are so useless. Those people should try trolling on YouTube. It’ll be more satisfying.
Troll? Funny. Just trying to help a fellow 993 owner. This place is going downhill fast.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:09 AM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also live in the bay area and my temps are about where yours are under the same conditions.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

This may help anyone that is curious about the oil temp gauge hash marks and temps. Also when the low and high speed fan turns on.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Scan.pdf (339.1 KB, 138 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:50 PM
tosha
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey guys, thank you so much for the discussion! I checked the blower resisters, and they are all functioning properly. It sounds like expected fluctuation in 55-70ºF ambient temperature.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:20 PM
spruden
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey guys, thank you so much for the discussion! I checked the blower resisters, and they are all functioning properly. It sounds like expected fluctuation in 55-70ºF ambient temperature.
Guess I’ll go back to trolling on YouTube then

On a more serious note - glad the resistors checked out ok.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:17 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by spruden

Guess I’ll go back to trolling on YouTube then

On a more serious note - glad the resistors checked out ok.
Spruden, I generally hope to understand how things work instead of just being told–"normal." I appreciate you trying to help. Sorry for sounding sensitive.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:27 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The engine undertray has a significant impact on my engine's temperature stability.
Without it, the car takes forever to warm up, and it mostly runs cool like yours while moving.

I am guessing that yours has also been removed?
Old 04-13-2018, 12:50 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Hi folks, I drive about an hour from SF to the South Bay on the scenic 280. Even when I'm not in the colder part of the highway, I've noticed my temperature rising and falling from about the 1/3 mark down to about 1/6th. I've always wondered if it's okay for my oil temperature to drop so much during a drive. Could a thermostat be failing? It's about 55-65ºF here.

Here's a photo of the indicator level when it drops to about 1/6.

Mine temperature gauges never bounces around. Both the oil and coolant gauge pretty much stay at the center scale regardless whether I'm in stop and go traffic or on the wide-open freeway.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:22 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
The engine undertray has a significant impact on my engine's temperature stability.
Without it, the car takes forever to warm up, and it mostly runs cool like yours while moving.

I am guessing that yours has also been removed?
Yes, it has been removed. There's a lot of talk about why it's bad to have - oil pooling, leaves, temperature - but I work on consumer products and I know how much engineering goes into decisions like that, and how little the public understands about internal engineering decisions. What may seem like a dumb design may actually account for non-obvious edge cases.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable not having the undertray. I want to say that I trust Porsche engineers more than car "hackers" because third parties don't have all the information about what motivated engineers. Perhaps sound regulation is just one of several factors. For example, I have to be mindful revving hard after getting on the highway because my temperature drops to 7/7:30 after being at 8 on the onramp. Maybe the undertray reduces engine wear in the long run?

Did the undertray design ever change for 993? If it had all the shortcomings people ascribe to it, Porsche had plenty of time to address them in the lifetime of the model.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM
tosha
Instructor

Is there actual evidence that valve guide wear is caused by the higher temperatures with the undertray?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Is there actual evidence that valve guide wear is caused by the higher temperatures with the undertray?
Nope! But it got something to do with religions so don't go there....
Old 04-13-2018, 02:02 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Yes, it has been removed. There's a lot of talk about why it's bad to have - oil pooling, leaves, temperature - but I work on consumer products and I know how much engineering goes into decisions like that, and how little the public understands about internal engineering decisions. What may seem like a dumb design may actually account for non-obvious edge cases.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable not having the undertray. I want to say that I trust Porsche engineers more than car "hackers" because third parties don't have all the information about what motivated engineers. Perhaps sound regulation is just one of several factors. For example, I have to be mindful revving hard after getting on the highway because my temperature drops to 7/7:30 after being at 8 on the onramp. Maybe the undertray reduces engine wear in the long run?

Did the undertray design ever change for 993? If it had all the shortcomings people ascribe to it, Porsche had plenty of time to address them in the lifetime of the model.
Why was the undertray removed ? The undertray not only smooth out the air flow, but protects a lot of important parts such at coolant pipes, wirings, hydraulic lines, and everything that can leave you stranded in the boonies if these parts were to be hit by debris.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:44 PM
tosha
Instructor

Originally Posted by henryting
Why was the undertray removed ? The undertray not only smooth out the air flow, but protects a lot of important parts such at coolant pipes, wirings, hydraulic lines, and everything that can leave you stranded in the boonies if these parts were to be hit by debris.
I agree. I bought the car this way. I'll get an undertray and see how things change.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:56 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Lots of discussions on this topic. The general consensus is to leave the under tray off. Many reasons for this including jack access. The experts like Steve Weiner and Bill Verburg concur which means a lot. Mine has been off since I bought the car 16 years ago with no adverse effect.

Quick Reply: Normal oil temperature range during steady highway driving