Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto transport from Oregon to California

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 08:02 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar problem. I am supposed to deliver a race car to Portland around Jan 2, then pick up a car in the Bay Area to come back to SoCal. This is all towing a trailer - not something I want to do in the snow - and that is what looks to be in the forecast.

For those who know the route - Is the an alternate route? Can I cut over to the coast and avoid snow? It is a reasonable road when towing a trailer?

Worst case, I will hire a commercial carrier to take the car up, and just go grab my car in the Bay Area.

Thanks
Old 12-29-2003, 08:14 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a good alternate route. On I5 at exit 162 go westbound through Drain, Oregon . Take hwy 38 westbound to Reedsport. This is the lowest altitude pass from Interstate 5 to the Oregon Coast. Good road which follows the Umpqua River which is scenic. I use it all the time from Bend because it is the easiest RV route to the Pacific and I love the southern Oregon Coast. You then can take 101 southbound to the Bay area.
We vacation in Palmed Springs each winter and Weed to Dunsmuir can be a snow delay, road closure on I5 as well.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:26 PM
lexpilot
Racer

Sunday,
Sorry, I was giving directions as if Miramont was driving southbound from PDX. Of course the reverse route would be from hwy 101 at Reedsport, Oregon then eastbound on hwy 38 through Drain, to hwy 99 to Curtin at I 5. This is a good road towing a trailer. I have not driven the 101 hwy from Brookings down to SFO in years. Maybe Ponchobroke knows that road as he is closer.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:30 PM
MarkPcar
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Mark,

I'm also making the drive (home) from Carlsbad towing a trailer, Jan. 5-7.

The most common alternate that the truckers use is to take the 97 cutoff at the town of Weed, just north of Mt Shasta, go up to Klamath Falls and continue north on 97, take the highway 58 cut off over the Cascades and connect with I-5 at Eugene. These mountain passes are lower and more gradual than what you will hit if you stay on I-5.

The guy that does deliveries for Emory (see my previous post) is based in L.A. and his is a two car trailer. This guy could haul your car up to Portland, pick up your race car and Joes car and haul them both back down. Save you both some money. No affiliation, I've just used him and real happy with the service.

oops - just heard on the news 150 miles of I-5 are closed due to snow.

Here is the web cam:

Old 12-29-2003, 08:34 PM
lexpilot
Racer

So Poncho,
Are you in Ashland ? Nice looking 993 !
Lexpilot
Old 12-29-2003, 08:56 PM
Ponchobroke
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

As of right now the only possible way would be to come in through Crescent City via 101 and into Grants Pass. However, that said, I don't think it would be a good trailer route. Basically, safe timely road travel is hosed until after the weekend.

Lexpilot, yea I am in Ashland... land of the Bard and well rooted alternative lifestyles. Where are you?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:04 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the pointer, routes, etc. I'll watch the weather forcast for the next few days and make a decision about hiring a transport. I emailed Joe to see about splitting transport.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 925 Likes on 559 Posts

I drove from Eugene to SF via the coast last year. Crescent City to Eureka is quite winding, tedious but not impossible for a trailer. Once into CA, it seemed 101 was under repair with periodic traffic lights at many points all the way to SF. Hopefully, they are done for the winter.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:33 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
Mark - I like your "Batmobile" avatar... Let me know if you take it to Buttonwillow or even better Laguna Seca before you go.....
Thanks. The plan is a test day at Willow on Jan 9, then the Fontana race at the end of the month.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 AM
lexpilot
Racer

Poncho, I am in Bend. I checked your web pictures and thought it looked like Ashland. What a great little community. Bend was like that before we were discovered.
However, I snoblowered 12" of snow today at 4100' ASL as I live on the hill here.
Based on today's weather the best passable route from Eugene is through Drain through Reedsport down 101 into California. I often drive the route Hiway 97 through Chemult thru Klamath thru Weed to I5 but I think right now traffic is stopped from Weed through Dunsmuir or Redding as Poncho was indicating. For realtime camera images all around Oregon check the following link: http://www.tripcheck.com/RoadCams/roadcams.htm
Hiway 58 can be treacherous near the summit at Odell Lake as shown on the O.D.O.T. tripcheck website.

Quick Reply: auto transport from Oregon to California