Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver big brake calipers, are they real/original? & what to service?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 02:18 PM
soV
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silver big brake calipers, are they real/original? & what to service?

Hi, I have recently purchased a set of silver big brake calipers.
I knew they were somewhat tired, as in the offered pictures they already appeared 'hurt' by brake fluid or something like that.
After receiving them and giving them an initial "quick-clean" I noticed that on multiple areas the paint came off quite easily.
That triggered me into studying more closely and I noticed that on certain areas the fit of the 2x pieces of the calipers was not aligned (by quite a bit).

Anybody that has experience with these, such that you would think these are original or not?
Secondly, if they would be original, what kind of service would be recommended? Why do people change pistons on these?
Thanks, Pete

Old 03-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 175 Posts

They're definitely original. Rebuild and repaint as you like.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:58 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

C4 had silver calipers? But not in that size?
Old 03-20-2018, 05:16 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 276 Likes on 175 Posts

OP, they don't look tired to me. Dust boots on the pistons look virtually brand new. Someone repainted these silver at some point. Paint color and condition do not affect braking performance.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:54 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

isnt the original black paint showing?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 PM
Jlbarnett
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use a caliper to measure the piston sizes and compare to what came stock. That will tell you what/where they came from
Old 03-21-2018, 12:00 AM
Porsche-ah
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

"BIg Silvers" They look identical to my big reds. They are the real deal.
I remember these being available somewhere in silver. I just forget when and why.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:02 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My COA even list the “Titanium” colored, brake caliper option.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:51 AM
soV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jlbarnett
Use a caliper to measure the piston sizes and compare to what came stock. That will tell you what/where they came from
Thanks, on the road now, but when I am back, will measure the piston sizes and add this to the Thread
Old 03-21-2018, 05:10 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 227 Likes on 185 Posts

993 Turbo brakes were available in red, silver and yellow from the factory. The rears look like all pistons are the same size from the photos, 28mm, so they are turbo rears
Old 03-21-2018, 06:36 AM
soV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
993 Turbo brakes were available in red, silver and yellow from the factory. The rears look like all pistons are the same size from the photos, 28mm, so they are turbo rears
Thanks, indeed I also believe the rear pistons have the same diameter, but will check when back at the garage :-)
Old 03-21-2018, 09:26 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

The reasons I see one would rebuild calipers are:
  • The square profile o-ring has distorted or lost its elasticity resulting in it no longer performing the function of retracting the caliper pistons once one take their foot off the brakes
  • Corrosion or other physical problems are interfering with the pistons moving smoothly during the braking cycle

At one time most every mechanic serviced calipers. The move to dedicated rebuilders was driven by servicing entity economics.
Although a rebuilder will use abrasives to clean the exterior of a caliper, in some cases paint it or apply a dichromate finish none of these cosmetic services influences performance. If the piston and the internal cavities are within good dimensional tolerances, the bleeder screw & hose port threads are in good shape and the internal cavities are carefully inspected and cleaned adding new O-rings and seals and pressing thing together is all that is needed. This is not a complex process.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:15 PM
soV
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pp000830
The reasons I see one would rebuild calipers are:
  • The square profile o-ring has distorted or lost its elasticity resulting in it no longer performing the function of retracting the caliper pistons once one take their foot off the brakes
  • Corrosion or other physical problems are interfering with the pistons moving smoothly during the braking cycle

At one time most every mechanic serviced calipers. The move to dedicated rebuilders was driven by servicing entity economics.
Although a rebuilder will use abrasives to clean the exterior of a caliper, in some cases paint it or apply a dichromate finish none of these cosmetic services influences performance. If the piston and the internal cavities are within good dimensional tolerances, the bleeder screw & hose port threads are in good shape and the internal cavities are carefully inspected and cleaned adding new O-rings and seals and pressing thing together is all that is needed. This is not a complex process.
Thanks,I fully agree, was just not sure about the piston, since I understand that the "official" Porsche Service Kit comes with a piston?

It is indeed my intention to clean them, and change the seals. The pistons I have checked, and move freely, but nicely firm (with effort, can press them in by hand) It would make more sense to me to first do the seals and then repaint, or is there a good reason to first paint and then do the seals?

cheers, Pete
Old 03-21-2018, 10:07 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,554 Likes on 1,097 Posts

Originally Posted by soV

Thanks,I fully agree, was just not sure about the piston, since I understand that the "official" Porsche Service Kit comes with a piston?

It is indeed my intention to clean them, and change the seals. The pistons I have checked, and move freely, but nicely firm (with effort, can press them in by hand) It would make more sense to me to first do the seals and then repaint, or is there a good reason to first paint and then do the seals?

cheers, Pete
If things are masked off properly before or after shouldn't matter.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:37 AM
soV
Intermediate

Sorry, it took a while (lot's of travel). I did measure the piston sizes yesterday

Front: 44mm and 36mm
Rear: 28mm both

So I assume these are indeed Turbo calipers, and I don't believe they have been painted before.

Looking at the condition of the calipers, I will only change the inner-seals and dust-covers, the pistons look fine.

Thanks for all the comments and advice

Quick Reply: Silver big brake calipers, are they real/original? & what to service?