993 Forum 1995-1998

Push button start modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 12:28 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Push button start modification

So... the aspect of using a key to start every time is bugging me. Just too used to keyless start now from my other cars. I have a 1996 993 with key and remote unlock/immobilizer fob.

Has anyone eliminated the key entirely and replaced with a toggle for ignition, and a push button for start? The remote unlock is useful and would remain and keeps things 'safe' as it immobilizes. Is there another immobilizer I don't know about on the key?

Thanks, Meenrod
Old 03-08-2018, 12:38 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

I highly recommend against such a thing on a 993 for too many reasons to list.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:52 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

anything is possible with enough money.

Its a classic car. Is it so hard to insert and twist the key?

I'm with goofball, don't bother.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:02 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

I like the key right where it is. Such a weird 911 feature. But if you really want to do it and you're up for being a guinea pig, I'd talk to Tore at Bergville FX (https://www.bergvillfx.com). Maybe he can help figure something out.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:03 PM
inkatouring
Three Wheelin'

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

It's your car, do what you want. But part of the romance of a Porsche is the key on the "wrong" side.....
Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

I did this on my 964 because the ignition switch was bad (someone tried to jam a screwdriver in it) and the cost for a new one is too high
Plus my 964 is far from original, so I felt like trying something new. Here are my $0.02:

Pros:
I have a 964 so I did not have to deal with the immobilizer
It is more secure than a key to deter unexperienced thieves (pros will simply flatbed your ride)
It feels more modern to jump in and hit a button and it is a cool addition (although debatable)
Start button is in place of the key, so it is still on the "wrong" side
It added remote lock/unlock which the 964 did not originally have

Cons:
It is not for the purists and you will constantly be asked "but why?"
It is an electronic module after all, so I guess it could introduce some issues at some point
The supplied push button is not attractive, but it can be easily changed for a more stealth one
I miss the mechanical feel of turning the key

This is the module I have (https://advancedkeys.com/Prod_AK105B.html) and it has been working flawlessly.
I have the version with the credit card type remote instead of the current fob.
Customer service has been stellar when I needed some help with wiring and setup.
With this setup, there is no need to have a toggle for ignition, you simply get in, put your foot on the brake pedal, and push the start button just like you would do on a modern car.
The following users liked this post:
hollywoodikr (01-18-2020)
Old 03-08-2018, 01:48 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Guys- appreciate the responses. Respectfully, I'm not interested in whether you think it's a good idea or not. It's my car and I do, so that's all that matters.

I'd like to hear from people who have done this modification. Thank you LPMM for the link to the module! That looks right up my street, I'll check it out.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:50 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife's Audi A4 Allroad has the smart key and push button start and when that is combined with the auto shut-off feature it is a pain in the ***. I HATE this feature and would rather buy a car with an old fashioned key if I could.
It also makes it easier for thieves and pranksters to drive off in your car when the key is in range. There was a story about this on the Rennlist home page recently.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:54 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Unless the thief is within 1 foot of the same door that you are... then it's not an issue. I've had this feature on several cars over the last few years and I like it.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:34 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I did what you are contemplating and love the result. I used Advanced Key system as well, for keyless entry and pushbutton start.. It was very easy to make it play well with the immobilizer and factory alarm module on my late model 95. If you search my posts, you'll see how cleanly the pushbutton fits into the same location as the key.

The doors unlock automatically when I get within about 4 feet of the car, and lock automatically when I step about 8 feet away from the car. This, without even touching the fob.

The Adanced Key modules have been bulletproof, so far. I can easily remove it and revert back to the original key if needed, but I don't see that happening in my lifetime.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:07 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Awesome- thank you for the info.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:20 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Ivan J
I did what you are contemplating and love the result. I used Advanced Key system as well, for keyless entry and pushbutton start.. It was very easy to make it play well with the immobilizer and factory alarm module on my late model 95. If you search my posts, you'll see how cleanly the pushbutton fits into the same location as the key.
I'll help for the lazy clickers.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tallation.html
Old 03-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Meenrod
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the link @gonzilla

@Ivan J someone in your thread mentioned you cannot disable the immob in a 1996 model car... mine is a '96. Do you know if that's the case?
Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by inkatouring
It's your car, do what you want. But part of the romance of a Porsche is the key on the "wrong" side.....
YES!! My thinking exactly and part of Porsche’s racing history. Oh well...
Old 03-08-2018, 09:08 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Holytin
YES!! My thinking exactly and part of Porsche’s racing history. Oh well...
Do you really think that race car drivers turn a key in order to start the engine? I bet there is a pushbutton in-place of the key... a lot like my car.

Quick Reply: Push button start modification