993 Forum 1995-1998

Window weld to stiffen transmission mount

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 08:52 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Window weld to stiffen transmission mount

I looked at my transmission mount and it seems to be in fair shape. Was planning on injecting window seal to stiffen and bind it up. Anyone else try this? You can Google this process.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:24 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

First answer a question with a question ,,, Why?
To answer, not sure, but I like your DIY Store thinkin' even though some members here will throw-up over ideas like this.
If you are considering replacing it anyway why not?
If it doesn't work out default to the mechanics creed "it needed replacing anyway"
Begs the question as to if shooting a little bath silicone calk into an engine mount would have any merit for certain situations?

Andy
Old 03-03-2018, 01:27 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I ordered 90 durometer liquid urethane, and filled all recesses in rubber. Them used huge rubber washers, with huge fender washers, to sandwich mount between bolt. Worked fine since and no discernible degradation. :-)
Old 03-03-2018, 03:51 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog
I looked at my transmission mount and it seems to be in fair shape. Was planning on injecting window seal to stiffen and bind it up. Anyone else try this? You can Google this process.
I don't think you're providing a full picture here, Windydog...

1. It sounds as though you don't know the age or mileage on the current transmission mount bushing, and it could be OEM to your 95, 993, yes?

2. You're adding a supercharger, so you will be dealing with additional horsepower and torque output, yes?

3. You currently have RS motor mounts, and a gusseted engine carrier, but are looking to reduce additional torsional flexing by adding the supercharger, yes?

Considering these factors, I suggested either a new trans mount bushing (the RS unit seems too pricey at $500), or the Function First, trans mount insert to reinforce and stiffen the existing bushing.

Is this an accurate summary as to why?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:02 PM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was just thinking and doing research. Seems transmission mounts don't really fail to much on our cars. This would be a cheap way to increase the stiffness and prolong the life. I was planning to change next engine drop.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:48 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Does anyone have pictures of the mount in position as I have never seen one up close!
Old 03-04-2018, 02:02 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

I did this myself. No pics handy. Let m try to describe the process.

I drilled the voids out one step larger just to make things cleaner. The holes are a funky shape and I did not feel the window weld would find its way to all the cavities without drilling it out. You’ll see when you get there. After filling the voids I used a large drywall knife to smooth the extra material from inner race to outer race. This gave me a nice smooth finished look. I’ll try and dig up the pics. Could have sworn I posted em here before.

Results? NVH went up for a short while. Then the stuff broke in or I just got use to it. Overall it did seem to help tighten up the drivetrain slop. Worthy mod on a more aggressive street/track car.
Old 03-04-2018, 05:20 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by windydog
I was just thinking and doing research. Seems transmission mounts don't really fail to much on our cars. This would be a cheap way to increase the stiffness and prolong the life. I was planning to change next engine drop.
You're adding more horsepower and torque via a supercharger, and the existing bushing is of unknown age, or durometer stiffness. Engine is out now.

It would just seem logical from an engineering standpoint to refresh, replace or stiffen the existing bushing now. Why half-step the process of the increase in horsepower and torque?

If you drop the motor again, it will probably be to remove the supercharger, yes? Why refresh it when it would be less likely to need it, if you refresh it now?

Im jus sayin...

PP,
Google search, Porsche 993 transmission mount bushing, and enjoy the visual results!

Quick Reply: Window weld to stiffen transmission mount