993 Forum 1995-1998

Return of varioram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:18 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts
Default Return of varioram?

I just read that the 991.2 gt3 has a new variable induction system to boost low rev torque. Sound familiar? Anyone know how similar this is to the 993 VR system?

Intake system.

Like the racing engines for the 911 GT3 R, 911 Cup and 911 RS models,the 911 GT3 motor is a naturally aspirated engine uncompromisingly designed for high engine speeds. In the newly designed variable intake system,made of lightweight plastic,there are now 2 resonance butterflies. The previous model had only one. Depending on the load demand and engine speed,they open either individually or simultaneously,providing a higher torque curve than before. One positive side effect of the technology is the efficient gas cycle,which is advantageous in terms of fuel consumption.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:48 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Oh no,.....just a double-resonance flap intake.

Varioram is a variable geometry system.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:53 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Oh no,.....just a double-resonance flap intake.

Varioram is a variable geometry system.

Hi Steve,
I assume one, on the G2, simply opens a flap to change the volume of the intake system so pressure waves from intake create a positive pressure pulse during cylinder charging.
and the other, On a VArioram 993, changes the length of the intake runner to synchronize the pulse to create the positive pressure during charging.
If I am correct is it six of one half a dozen of the other or is one more effective than the other?
Andy
Old 02-26-2018, 10:43 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Would love to hear the answer to this question and also why VR hasn’t come back in any models after the 993 (that I know of).

The GT3 also has a ram air intake (good for 20hp they say at high speeds) so that would surely play into the design of the induction system as well.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
Would love to hear the answer to this question and also why VR hasn’t come back in any models after the 993 (that I know of).

The GT3 also has a ram air intake (good for 20hp they say at high speeds) so that would surely play into the design of the induction system as well.
Steve is correct. On a 993 there is 1 resonance flap, on the latest GT3 2. The purpose of the flap(s) is to change the geometry mostly volume and cross section area of the intake.
On a 993 vram there are 3 intake regimes, controlled by the resonance flap and runner length
A) long tubes & resonance flap closed
B) short tubes & resonance flap closed
C) short tubes & resonance flap open

the GT3 regimes haven't been clearly articulated(that I have seen) but the 2 resonance flaps have a max of different 4 different cross section and volume, so upto 4 possible resonance states
Old 02-26-2018, 12:32 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

4 valve VVT does such a great job of helping bottom end vram is not really needed. Sure it would help but with the current toolbox of tricks cost/benefit/complexity does not really pan out.

Last edited by MarinS4; 02-28-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarinS4

4 valve VVT does such a great job of helping bottom end vram is not really needed. Sure it would help but with the current toolbox of tricks cost/benefit/complexity does not Sally pan out.

That makes sense except that they are still doing variable intake resonance with the gt3. Perhaps the complexity of variable length runners is not worthwhile since you can get a similar effect with flaps alone?
Old 03-02-2018, 10:30 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

This piqued my interest so I did a little more research
All the GT3Cups since 997 versions use a 4 stage resonance intake w/ 2x resonance flaps,

RSR doesn't use this they instead use ITBs

It's interesting that Jeff Gamroth seems to use the 997Gt3 Cup dual resonance flap manifolds w/ ITB's on his magnificent engines
Old 03-02-2018, 11:59 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

That makes sense except that they are still doing variable intake resonance with the gt3. Perhaps the complexity of variable length runners is not worthwhile since you can get a similar effect with flaps alone?
It really comes down to % of cylinder fill at xxxx rpm. It sure seems like VVT with resonance chambers allow for a high enough percentage of cylinder fill it’s not worth chasing what’s left on the table.

On another note of cool upcoming technology. Electric hybrid turbos are going to be a game changer. Imagine the end of turbo lag? One of the designs I’ve seen uses electric motor to spool turbo at low RPM and let’s exhaust gases drive it on the top end. This technology will allow for over 100% cylinder fill at all RPM’s.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:16 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4

It really comes down to % of cylinder fill at xxxx rpm. It sure seems like VVT with resonance chambers allow for a high enough percentage of cylinder fill it’s not worth chasing what’s left on the table.

On another note of cool upcoming technology. Electric hybrid turbos are going to be a game changer. Imagine the end of turbo lag? One of the designs I’ve seen uses electric motor to spool turbo at low RPM and let’s exhaust gases drive it on the top end. This technology will allow for over 100% cylinder fill at all RPM’s.
So very very cool and something that I ask "why hasn't it been done before"?
Old 03-03-2018, 02:02 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
It's interesting that Jeff Gamroth seems to use the 997Gt3 Cup dual resonance flap manifolds w/ ITB's on his magnificent engines
These have the right volume for the majority of the engines he builds.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:19 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
So very very cool and something that I ask "why hasn't it been done before"?
I can imagine the practical application of it for wide scale adoption in consumer use-cases comes down to the availability of the electrical systems to support it that have favorable unit economics to deploy it at scale. Recently we have seen tremendous advances in battery and charging technology that stores more energy in smaller foot prints and efficient systems to regenerate the energy. Would be interesting to see if these advances get applied to improving the decades old proven designs around exhaust based turbos and is it worth it for the manufacturers to solve this problem for the masses...

https://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-dif...ger-1795017793

Last edited by samurai_k; 03-03-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:32 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Borg Warner has had these electric turbochargers sitting on a shelf for almost 20 years... Up until now car manufacturers have not been willing to increases their vehicle costs to support the voltages required (48V) just for this single function.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:34 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Borg Warner has had these electric turbochargers sitting on a shelf for almost 20 years... Up until now car manufacturers have not been willing to increases their vehicle costs to support the voltages required (48V) just for this single function.
Ok, vision for the future, Cars running E85 with an Octane rating of >100. An inexpensive aftermarket bolt on electric blower with a 48 Volt converter. The only limitation will be fuel delivery, so for the 993 the kit includes an an additional fuel injector that replaces the 2nd spark plug on the engine.
Cars will get at least a 30% to 50% reduction in fuel economy, but who cares and Monsanto continues making Billions selling corn seed to farmers so they can continue to grow outsized corn crops at a profit! Seems to me using fertilizer made from natural gas to grow corn to convert it into fuel while spot food shortages exist throughout the world is wee bit wasteful and ethically challenged.
Andy

Quick Reply: Return of varioram?