Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What after-market Radio/CD do you guys have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 02:01 AM
DrZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim didn't see your post. We are definately on the same wave length! I still have my #299 Alp7909 boxed in the garage. What don't you like about it? Clarions come up on eBay once in a while and price appears to be going up as more people realize how much better the older unit is than the current Korean/Malaysian assembled stuff.
Old 12-25-2003, 04:13 AM
YellowC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Alpine CDA-7998
Old 12-25-2003, 06:08 AM
Robert Linton
Race Car

Received 512 Likes on 229 Posts

Recently, I looked at a number of head units and concluded that nothing looked better than the factory piece. And yes, sonically there a better components (the Alpine 7909, the more current 7990, etc.) but in the accustically poor environment that is a Porsche at high speed, it is impossible for my, albeit untrained ear, to hear the difference.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:04 AM
Bill (NC)
Racer

Mike, the Sony changer is wired to the radio. It works just like the radio manual says it should.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:09 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

This is getting interesting! So, when my Nakamichi fails, I might just go back to the original Becker CD/Am/Fm unit (are they on Ebay?), as it's looks REALLY blend in with the car nicely! I wish I could afford the Macintosh unit as that's my favorite in looks and panache value. I adore my old Macintosh tuner at home w/ Hafler 500 Amp. Had the stuff since shortly after college and still going strong with nary ever a repair. I guess that makes me old school at 42 y.o. Am I an old fogie?

On a different topic: Have many of you bashed in/cracked the drivers door side Hi Fi OEM speaker cover yet? It's SO easy to do when you get out of the car in a close spot (like your garage) as my shoe kicks it by accident alot. How hard is it to get this replaced - just the cracked cover? Anyone have one to sell me?!

Steve

(close to wall spot below- not alot of room to open up the door, thus cracked speaker casing!)
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2003, 10:48 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Merry Christmas to all!! Thanks for all the replies!

I noticed that nobody uses Pioneer products... I could be the odd one here then when I say that I like them. I've had Pioneers on all my cars. I enjoy installing them too myself. The latest is instaled on the 4RNR(pictured below) is the FH-P8800. Matched with either Pioneer Comp or Infinity speakers, the sound is just crisp and IMO, hits all the right freqs. Anyways, aesthetics wise, for the 993, non of them matches the dash since most have the silver/alum look.
I really like the OEM's RDS(Radio Broadcast Data System) which can also be found on Alpines although the green display don't match the amber dash light

Another question, has anyone installed 6 1/2" comp speakers on the door vice the standard 5 1/2" without cutting the door liner?
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2003, 11:04 AM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

I have recently installed a Los Angeles Blaupunkt and am quite happy with it although it has more of an aluminum look but it matches with the alloy insert on the gear changing handle.

Using it with the stock Hi-Fi speakers the sound is perfect comparing with the stock radio...
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2003, 11:11 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My Alpine works great with ADS speakers and Memphis Amp. Still need to get a bit more bass or midrange from my sound.

However the best music is the flat6/open air intake/RSR mufflers.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:17 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Alpine CVA-1005 Mobile MultiMedia Station
Alpine NVE-N077PS DVD Navigation system

Old 12-25-2003, 01:33 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

The previous owner of my C4S installed a huge 600W Phoenix gold
route 66 power amplifier in the front trunk.
Eventually I removed the amp, the 10 disc stacker, and the dash unit.
This trimmed 45 lb and enlarged the trunk space.
The weight reduction provided the equivalent of a four HP increase.
I was surprised that the weight reduction power increase was significant.

I installed a Blaupunkt CD/FM/AM 160W unit that does the job.
It blends very well with the dash as it is made in Germany.
There's little point in trying to achieve the ultimate in stereo Hi-Fi,
as you're already a conductor of an orchestra who's awaiting your commands to indulge in sounds of great beauty.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:34 PM
america roadster
Intermediate

Nakamichi 6 CD In Dash, Focal Separates, Custom Sub Enclosures, all via Rod Birch-Car Audio Innovations. He is the porsche aftermarket audiophile guru. He also did the the keyless remote alarm entry. Everything looks factory, but the car now has a system that is worthy of Porsche (especially in open air w/top down).
Old 12-25-2003, 02:46 PM
Nol, 95 993 C4
Racer

For Carrera Mike:
I have 6.5" component speakers in the place of the original 5.5" units (plain doors, not the HiFi option). It was a while back but I remember there is only minor adjustments to the door trim involved. The Porsche 5.5's use a non standard large mounting circle not far off the 6.5 aftermarket standard.

As for the query, Alpine here: radio cassette head unit, 6CD changer in the trunk and 5 channel amp under the passenger seat, a custom Sub in the footwell behind the driver's seat and Boston Acoustics component speakes in the factory locations. Monster cables connecting the lot.
Biggest impact on sound is the amp, mine is a budget multichannel, but Alpine do a remarkable good job at that and it makes enough of a difference for me.

Rod Birch is definitely one of the good guys, a class act. He helped me over email knowing very well what the chances of getting any business were. His web-site is a must see.

Enjoy

Nol
Old 12-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

To Graham Mitchell:

That Nav set up is terrific! You must get alot of surprised comments from people you take for rides in your car when that Nav screen makes it's presence. It looks awesome in there.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2003, 06:16 PM
LeeR
Racer

I have the same Nak 45z unit as Steve, and have not had a problem with it. Only thing I don't like is that green display is hard to see in sunlight conditions (usual conditions here in So Cal), and is especially hard to see when in sunlight and full turbo boost!
Old 12-25-2003, 06:20 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Thanks, Steve, but most passengers (being young and female) have no idea what the standard equipment is

Quick Reply: What after-market Radio/CD do you guys have?