Stroboscopic LED Stop & Turn Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,020 Posts
Default Stroboscopic LED Stop & Turn Lights

I recently replaced the stop lamp on my motorcycle with an LED one that strobes for a few moments
and then lights persistently each time I apply the brakes.
It makes the bike significantly more visible from the rear as I come up to intersections.

Has anyone tried these on their stop or turn lamps on their 993?

What do others think of replacing the tail bulbs with a set
of these or putting a set in the extra bulb location in the center reflector?

Andy
Old 02-20-2018, 04:05 PM
Trevor-uk
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure about legality, in the UK at least, but I made a driver board that strobes and lights my high level brake light (not the main brake lights). Certainly noticeable, annoyance aside.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 PM
tian647
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about alternately illuminating the last (one or two) bulbs/LEDs at each end of the CHMSL to impart a subtle sense of motion to draw attention without fomenting the outright irritation of flashing the whole array?

Frankly, I'd be just as happy if the USDOT would mandate amber rear blinkers to differentiate stopping and turning indicators.

Christian
'95 Carrera
Old 02-20-2018, 07:33 PM
AZ Targa
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993 Sailor
not in united states by a long shot. The only flashing red lights allowed are directionals and on emergency vehicles.
That is not entirely true, it would vary from state to state; however, there is usually a provision in the vehicle code that allows for a certain range of pulses per minute.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:31 PM
Ivan J
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

They are legal in CA. I used one back in the day when I rode my moto on the street...

California Vehicle Code 25251.5 (c) Any stoplamp or supplemental stoplamp required or permitted by Section 24603 of this vehicle code may be equipped so as to flash not more than four times within the first four seconds after actuation and then emit a constant light by application of the brakes.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:05 AM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

I've used a brakelight flasher on the center brake light of a Miata, seemed like it helped.

This is the one I used- it has a time delay so if you're on and off the brakes in traffic, it won't be continuously flashing.

http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm

Kind of an old-school website- go to "brake light pulser", scroll to bottom, choose universal module for more detail.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:15 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

I think the underlying issue of lack of standardization re: brake and directional lights and markers, front and rear, now side, in this country is underlying. Red or amber, often juxtaposed to front headlights or incorporated into the assemblies, too near rear brake lights, differing sizes, various heights, make for issues of compromised visibility and frustration.
Given crappy drivers and inattention all over, this adds to the likelihood of impact.
Strobes for motorcycles or bicycles, sure, as they are vulnerable. But, for cars? Following one of these in stop and go traffic is total misery. Some people have seizures from strobe lights.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:07 PM
centerpunch
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 123 Posts

The one l linked to blinks 3 times, then goes solid. A timer stops it from blinking again if you are on and off the brakes in stop and go traffic.

Quick Reply: Stroboscopic LED Stop & Turn Lights