Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

New shocks & springs - do I need anything else?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New shocks & springs - do I need anything else?

As is usual with these things, the fitment onf my 18in wheels has coincided with (at least) one of my rear shocks letting go (illustrated by by the rear of the car grounding over undulations in the road - not over bumps) - not surprising after 52K miles. So Gert and I have decided that I'll go the Bilstein HD route with the M030 springs - no problem there as I'll never use the adjustability of the PSS9s.

My question is do I need anything else?? like swaybars etc I dont think I'll need the Rennsport drop links as its impractical for me to go too low - whats the general concensus? (driving is 90% road and 10% track)

Also - is this (the fitment of the shocks and springs) a viable DIY? I was hoping to do it myself and then take the car to a shop for alignment and corner balancing? I know that Gert supplies instructions and he assures me that it is a viable DIY but I'd like to hear from someone who's done it (preferably a casual DIYer like me - or Bozo!!)

TIA and Merry Christmas to Rennlisters One and All
Old 12-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 339 Posts

Read Robin Sun's DIY article. You can do it yourself if you are "handy". It would be great to have a friend help out as well. My neighbor and I installed his PSS9s and RS sway bars. It can be done.

If you are not lowering dramatically (You are lowering thr car with M030 US (I presume) springs) and do very little tracking, the stock sway bars should be fine. Although the 22mm front M030 RoW sway bars and the 21mm rear Turbo bars are dirt cheap. If you have the suspension out, you might as well replace the bars now with the bigger 22mm/21mm bars, in contrast to later. You can stick with the stock drop links with this set up. Also note there is enough metal "meat" available to drill an extra hole in the rear sway bar for future adjustability. You could stiffen up the rear to dial out some understeer. My $0.02 worth of advice.

Also note, my car as seen in the avatar, was set up at that time with M030 RoW springs and 22mm front and 21mm rear bars. This was avery nice setup for me...70% track, 30% street.

Quick Reply: New shocks & springs - do I need anything else?