Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

confused on which foot pedal set to get. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 11:29 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Steve,

Try going to MacMall.com or PCMall.com (safe and legitimate online vendors who are one and the same) for a CF card. Last I checked, CompUSA doesn't have cards with the write acceleration technology. This is supposed to make file transfer faster, but, honestly, I'm not sure if it's any faster.

Also, stick with the Lexar cards, as my colleagues report that they are very trouble-free.

Tomorrow, I may do some "research" on roads and meeting places for our drive.
Old 12-27-2003, 04:49 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this thread really grew since I last looked.

Anyway, I wanted to post a picture of my pedals with particular attention to the dead pedal. I did not find the AJ-USA pedal to be very good match in terms of the visual nor did it really fit the dead pedal area flush nor high enough. Here is a pedal that a local shop made that I think looks pretty good with the pedal set we have been talking about.

What do you think?
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2003, 05:39 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks Mark for the digital camera info. I'll check those sites out.

Kary993 - very nice dead pedal! Can't wait to get this stuff in the spring.

Steve
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2003, 09:09 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Sorry to bring this back on-topic but he asked after all.

Shant,

I had the exact same problem with these R&R pedals. Dave sent me a second plastic block because the first one didn't fit. The second one doesn't fit either, for the exact reason you stated. I see several issues with this mounting block:

1) The hole is too small for the diameter of the linkage ball joint. Even if you manage to get it fully bottomed in the hole (a big if) the depth is not sufficient to hold the ball in place. Any movement and it pops out.

2) The plastic is too hard and therefore brittle. I broke the first one trying to get it to "pop" in to place.

I disassembled the linkage and the block to try and put them together on a workbench. I even froze (industrial maintenance trick) the linkage piece to shrink the ball as much as possible.

At this point I am frustrated and left with disassembled pedals. In defense of Road and Race, Dave Buhain has tried to be helpful in resolving this. He told me he has a different design, with softer material, that will be ready very soon, although I have yet to receive it. I don't feel he is ducking the situation at this point. The plastic on the factory pedal is softer (and slotted) to allow it to move when you "pop" the ball into place. Hopefully this new one will work.

Please contact Dave and let him know you have this problem too.

Jason
Old 12-28-2003, 12:42 AM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally posted by Jason M
Sorry to bring this back on-topic but he asked after all.

Shant,

I had the exact same problem with these R&R pedals. Dave sent me a second plastic block because the first one didn't fit. The second one doesn't fit either, for the exact reason you stated. I see several issues with this mounting block:

1) The hole is too small for the diameter of the linkage ball joint. Even if you manage to get it fully bottomed in the hole (a big if) the depth is not sufficient to hold the ball in place. Any movement and it pops out.

2) The plastic is too hard and therefore brittle. I broke the first one trying to get it to "pop" in to place.

I disassembled the linkage and the block to try and put them together on a workbench. I even froze (industrial maintenance trick) the linkage piece to shrink the ball as much as possible.

At this point I am frustrated and left with disassembled pedals. In defense of Road and Race, Dave Buhain has tried to be helpful in resolving this. He told me he has a different design, with softer material, that will be ready very soon, although I have yet to receive it. I don't feel he is ducking the situation at this point. The plastic on the factory pedal is softer (and slotted) to allow it to move when you "pop" the ball into place. Hopefully this new one will work.

Please contact Dave and let him know you have this problem too.

Jason

Jason, you took the words right out of my mouth. I am not happy with the R&R pedal. If anyone else had this problem please post here so i can tell Dave from R&R regarding this problem. I currently cant drive my car because the ball joint link wont pop into the plastic coupling on the pedal. Any suggestions? I tried using WD40 but nothing seems to work. I am very frustrated at this point.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:18 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Uh - with all these troubles with the R and R set up, I think I'll hold off a while longer than originally planned! Do these same problems follow owners of the AJ USA pedals?

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images  
Old 12-28-2003, 10:35 AM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 57 Posts

Apparently not. These Road and Race pedals appear to be exactly like the AJ-USA pedals. I bought them off of eBay thinking R&R was reselling the AJ-USA units. I have never heard a complaint about the AJ-USA pedals except for needing to possibly (but not always) adjust the linkage, which is pretty easy to do.

I now suspect that the R&R pedals are CNC-machine-shop copies of the AJ-USA units, albeit very good ones as they are identical in detail to pictures of the AJ-USA pedals I've seen. The only problem with them is the plastic mounting block on the back of the accelerator pedal. I have zero proof of this of course. As a long time Rennlist sponsor, maybe Road and Race should step in and clear up my speculation.

Jason
Old 12-28-2003, 11:19 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Jason, Shant, Steve and all...

Sorry about the delayed reply on this thread - but I just read through it.. Let me find out what the issue is from Dave at R&R - and get back to you in this thread. I know I've assisted on Member whith a replacement, but to be honest - I hadn't heard that a few have been having an issue with the accel pedal. As for Dave, yes - he's one of those guys who I can call up and ask "what's up" with this - and get the straight scoop, as well - I can reassure all of you that Dave really is a "stand-up" guy....

I dunno if he's open tomorrow - but I'll give hims a call....

Best to all!!!!
John D.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:00 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Originally posted by John D.
Hi Jason, Shant, Steve and all...

Sorry about the delayed reply on this thread - but I just read through it.. Let me find out what the issue is from Dave at R&R - and get back to you in this thread. I know I've assisted on Member whith a replacement, but to be honest - I hadn't heard that a few have been having an issue with the accel pedal. As for Dave, yes - he's one of those guys who I can call up and ask "what's up" with this - and get the straight scoop, as well - I can reassure all of you that Dave really is a "stand-up" guy....

I dunno if he's open tomorrow - but I'll give hims a call....

Best to all!!!!
John D.
John, I appreciate that very much! Very kind of you. Dave seems like a kewl guy. Im sure he will take care of it. I havent had a chance to call him yet regarding the pedal. I'll see what John says first. Thanks again John.

Jason, ill keep you updated as well if anything comes up. they look exactly like the AJ usa pedals. i wonder if any aj usa guys are having teh same problem?
Old 01-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Shant Ohannessian
Racer

Hey John, any updates from Dave regarding the pedal issue? Thanks

Happy New Year all!

Quick Reply: confused on which foot pedal set to get. Need some advice.