Sponsored by:

I made it to Atlanta, unfortunately not all of my oil has

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 10:37 AM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it ain't under warranty, I would never pay dealer prices for the clutch kit. Well, just maybe, as long as there's next to no labor charge for the clutch work, since they have to pull all that stuff out to replace the seal. If your clutch felt fine, keep it and start making plans to do the RS and LWF soon.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I noticed that the cluth released a little high, but I have only had the car for 3 days so I did not know if this was normal or not.

as fas as waiting all I am paying is parts, I do not want to pay again in two months for the labor

Jon
Old 12-23-2003, 11:27 AM
993chaz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Steve, the exhaust throws off a lot of heat causing the seals to shrink. I had mine replace last year and all is well. You might want to remove the lower tray to allow heat to escape, I did that at the same time and had no problems with leaks of any kind.
Old 12-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jon,

YOU MAY NOT NEED TO PAY FOR THE CLUTCH!

Your car was "certified" by a Porsche dealer and has the certification warranty, correct? If so, your situation is not too different from mine when I bought my '95 four years ago.

Very shortly after I took delivery, my clutch began to slip (only noticeable in a redline 1-2 shift -- probably why I didn't notice the problem on the test drive).

I told the dealer, who first said "it's not a warranty item."
ME: "I just bought the 'certified' car -- it shouldn't have been delivered certified in the first place with a worn-out clutch." This, of course, is true.
DEALER: After some discussion, "Let me see what I can do."

I went back to the dealer (only 90 minutes away in my case) to demonstrate the problem. They basically agreed that the car shouldn't have been certified with a shot clutch, but said they didn't know it was shot. I believed that since the car had to be driven very hard for it to slip.

DEALER: "We'll pay for the parts, but you have to pay for the labor, and we'll charge you a discounted rate."
ME: "That's a start, but you shouldn't have delivered a certified car with a shot clutch, though I understand you didn't know it was shot."
DEALER: "Let me see what we can do -- we'll come to an agreeable solution."

So, they started work on the car and "found a tiny rear main seal leak."
Since that was a warranty item and involved the same labor as the clutch replacement, the whole clutch issue was resolved at no cost to me.

To this day, I wonder whether there was actually a RMS leak...

So, TELL YOUR DEALER THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE CERTIFIED A CAR WITH A SHOT CLUTCH, and you want them to pay for it -- they'll only have to cover the parts. Also, tell the Atlanta dealer you're going to do this, and tell them you need them to confirm it.

Good luck. When you get through this, you'll love the car.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:46 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It almost certainly was a rear main seal leak, it gets oil on the disk and ruins it very quickly. My Porsche dealer replaced the clutch disk on my certified 95 Carrera 4 when the RMS leaked, and I was not charged.

Vic
99 C2 cab
Old 12-23-2003, 02:18 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd has given you great advice.....the warranty is from the factory....it is an issue for the dealer and PCNA and the factory to decide who eats the bill in my opinion....the dealer is an agent capacity for PCNA and or the factory

Although, they say clutch is "wear and tear", the facts of your situation negates that line of BS ....and with a bad RMS....under the old certification document, they would have had to replaced clutch and RMS after their road tests prior to to offering for sale

Lastly, you paid for this in the sales price.....believe me..

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: I made it to Atlanta, unfortunately not all of my oil has