993 Forum 1995-1998

I think I'm becoming obsessed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:45 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts
Default I think I'm becoming obsessed

After much deliberation over the last couple months I was searching for a 997.1 6 speed car to be my last car purchase for awhile. Seems like a great plaform, last Metzger engine etc. I also want to be able to take my daughter out on rides, she is 2 and a half and loves going in my car.

Now I can't get the damn 993 Turbo out of my head. The bodylines on the car are perfection and while I haven't ever driven one it seems like a real event.

The 997 was going to run me about $70k for what I wanted, it seems a fair mileage 993T in manual is going to be at minimum $120k. Ton of money tied up in an older Porsche but it seems like if I'm going to buy something now is the time with pricing on a slight downturn. I really have a max budget of $105k or so but I don't think that's going to get me in a clean 993T.

Why have I become obsessed!
Old 02-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

Welcome to the party. You are not alone. I have been in the same boat as you ORIGINALLY and NOW.... but as of late have done some soul searching. Love the 993 Turbo but I won't settle for nothing less an <40K miles, Black / Black, 6sp and well documented. That puts these cars "IF YOU CAN FIND ONE" at $160K+ easily. So ... I took a step down and purchased his little brother. To put things in perspective .... 1.5 years ago I purchased a Schwarz Black / Black 1996 C4S 6sp with under 30K miles from Porsche Classic for tad over $100K with tax and shipping. Purchased the best well documented car I could find at the time. In hindsight .... I should have kept saving for the 993 Turbo? Not sure. For the same car it was $180K - $220K. Who knows, I may just dig in and continue the search.... not sure until the weather breaks. The C4S is the same wide body look (obviously not the Turbo straight-line performance and have driven many 993 Turbos) for $50K less or even $100K less compared to lower mile Turbos. I love the Wide Body looks of the 993 hands down over any other 911 produced. Properly dialed in the C4S is a hell of a driver's car. As they say, a rising tide lifts all boats and in the pricing game, the C4S is no exception to the 993 Turbo rise in popularity and price. I love the look of the Porsche OEM Aero Turbo S kit. Mine didn't have it. So I sourced a 1996 Porsche OEM Turbo S Decklid in my same color in mint condition and purchased a Porsche OEM Turbo S Front Lip Spoiler. I also did a bunch of other Performance & Suspension stuff including replacing the driver's side check strap "the proper way." Sunk a bunch of money into it to get in right in my eyes and will be sinking a bunch more into it this Spring as well, including Rennline Driver's side and Passenger side Floor Boards, Pedals, Track Mats, FD Transmission Mount, Short Shifter to compliment the RS Golden Rod, Strut Brace and other stuff .... it's one BIG SLIPPERLY MODDING SLOPE! $150K - $200K is a lot of money to put into this car just because it's a Turbo OUT OF THE GATE unless you keep it OEM and don't drive it... or you have money and doesn't matter or whatever. Most will need new suspension and then there are all the MODS you can do and we all fall victim unless you are strictly a collector to park it and collect dust in the dark. These cars are now 20+ years old and require work if not properly maintained. If you buy a higher mileage car you may get in over your head if not properly documented from the owner. Either way good luck on your decision ... been there...... done that ....and still there! Tip: Make sure you have a good Porsche Air Cooled mechanic who knows these cars. Most important than anything I can stress!

Last edited by Gbos1; 02-04-2018 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:16 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Welcome to the party. You are not alone. I have been in the same boat as you ORIGINALLY and NOW.... but as of late have done some soul searching. Love the 993 Turbo but I won't settle for nothing less an <40K miles, Black / Black, 6sp and well documented. That puts these cars "IF YOU CAN FIND ONE" at $160K+ easily. So ... I took a step down and purchased his little brother. To put things in perspective .... 1.5 years ago I purchased a Schwarz Black / Black 1996 C4S 6sp with under 30K miles from Porsche Classic for tad over $100K with tax and shipping. Purchased the best well documented car I could find at the time. In hindsight .... I should have kept saving for the 993 Turbo? Not sure. For the same car it was $180K - $220K. Who knows, I may just dig in and continue the search.... not sure until the weather breaks. The C4S is the same wide body look (obviously not the Turbo straight-line performance and have driven many 993 Turbos) for $50K less or even $100K less compared to lower mile Turbos. I love the Wide Body looks of the 993 hands down over any other 911 produced. Properly dialed in the C4S is a hell of a driver's car. As they say, a rising tide lifts all boats and in the pricing game, the C4S is no exception to the 993 Turbo rise in popularity and price. I love the look of the Porsche OEM Aero Turbo S kit. Mine didn't have it. So I sourced a 1996 Porsche OEM Turbo S Decklid in my same color in mint condition and purchased a Porsche OEM Turbo S Front Lip Spoiler. I also did a bunch of other Performance & Suspension stuff including replacing the driver's side check strap "the proper way." Sunk a bunch of money into it to get in right in my eyes and will be sinking a bunch more into it this Spring as well, including Rennline Driver's side and Passenger side Floor Boards, Pedals, Track Mats, FD Transmission Mount, Short Shifter to compliment the RS Golden Rod, Strut Brace and other stuff .... it's one BIG SLIPPERLY MODDING SLOPE! $150K - $200K is a lot of money to put into this car just because it's a Turbo OUT OF THE GATE unless you keep it OEM and don't drive it... or you have money and doesn't matter or whatever. Most will need new suspension and then there are all the MODS you can do and we all fall victim unless you are strictly a collector to park it and collect dust in the dark. These cars are now 20+ years old and require work if not properly maintained. If you buy a higher mileage car you may get in over your head if not properly documented from the owner. Either way good luck on your decision ... been there...... done that ....and still there! Tip: Make sure you have a good Porsche Air Cooled mechanic who knows these cars. Most important than anything I can stress!
I will respond more later, but I appreciate this reply. $150k is not in the realm of my affordability for a Turbo so it's likely going to be a C4S if I can source. It's a weekend warrior car, 6 months of the year as the Northeast is not forgiving. Any specific service I sure ensure was done on these cars or should I assume it's not and just get it done.

I'm not a rich man, just a man with rich taste.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:28 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1FlossedM3
I will respond more later, but I appreciate this reply. $150k is not in the realm of my affordability for a Turbo so it's likely going to be a C4S if I can source. It's a weekend warrior car, 6 months of the year as the Northeast is not forgiving. Any specific service I sure ensure was done on these cars or should I assume it's not and just get it done.

I'm not a rich man, just a man with rich taste.
Ha! I hear ya! I am also in the North East and it pains me to store my car 5 months and to tease me every day... taking a peek at her... resting in her spot. Here she is all dialed in as of last Fall. Much more to do to personalize her to my taste. All the Mods "tasteful" I did are reversible and kept all the original parts in case I decide to sell someday. Honestly I don't know why you would want to put the original 20+ year old suspension back on which I did save as well! For $90K - $105K you should be able to find a very nice C4S with lower miles and documented. Personally I think these cars are the best bang for the buck. They will continue to increase at some point.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:29 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

^ Wow, that's stunning. I'm a sucker for black. Any interior pics? Love the factory aero kit.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:37 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

^ Wow, that's stunning. I'm a sucker for black. Any interior pics? Love the factory aero kit.
Schwarz Black is the Black to get. No Metallic! It's had a full paint correction so it's like a mirror! Here are some interior pics...
Old 02-04-2018, 11:43 AM
1FlossedM3
Pro

You got a beauty there friend, I'd wrap that whole thing in Xpel at this point. Any rough estimate to what I would pay for a similar example?
Old 02-04-2018, 12:09 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

You got a beauty there friend, I'd wrap that whole thing in Xpel at this point. Any rough estimate to what I would pay for a similar example?
Thanks! Yes ..it has an old Clear Bra on it already.... partial hood, mirrors and fenders. I plan to have this removed and replaced with new Xpel. As my car sits it has 31,050 miles. In this condition just a guess ... from Porsche Classic, all records, current service history, new clutch, had engine out and all the stuff I have done expect to pay $100K - 125K.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:19 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

After much deliberation over the last couple months I was searching for a 997.1 6 speed car to be my last car purchase for awhile. Seems like a great plaform, last Metzger engine etc.
The only 997.1 with this motor is the GT3 and they are closer to $100K. Completely different driving feels vs non GT3.

Your best bet is to get out there and get some seat time in various 993s. Of course this sub-forum it's all about how great they are, but keep in mind it sometimes doesn't drive the way you envisioned it too. Some like turbo, others prefer NA etc.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:51 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Knight
The only 997.1 with this motor is the GT3 and they are closer to $100K. Completely different driving feels vs non GT3.

Your best bet is to get out there and get some seat time in various 993s. Of course this sub-forum it's all about how great they are, but keep in mind it sometimes doesn't drive the way you envisioned it too. Some like turbo, others prefer NA etc.

Issue is finding seat time in those type of cars here will be difficult.

Yea, I was looking at Turbo 997.1 6 speeds (2007-2009) with the metzger can be had for 70k...
Old 02-04-2018, 03:28 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 178 Posts

Now I can't get the damn 993 Turbo out of my head. The bodylines on the car are perfection and while I haven't ever driven one it seems like a real event.

Why have I become obsessed!
If you're like me there's good reason why you can't get it out of your head and you're obsessed. I agree the bodylines are perfection but that's just the start. For me, it's just the way this car makes me feel when I drive it that's so special. And in the turbo, the way the power comes on is intoxicating. I've had the good fortune of having driven a lot of high performance cars over the years and virtually no other car I've driven can duplicate the satisfaction I get from the turbo. It's a special car.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:10 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Lucky bastard! All I can think of at the moment are 959s! They at 10×993T-money!

Last edited by Railmaster.; 02-05-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-05-2018, 12:17 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
If you're like me there's good reason why you can't get it out of your head and you're obsessed. I agree the bodylines are perfection but that's just the start. For me, it's just the way this car makes me feel when I drive it that's so special. And in the turbo, the way the power comes on is intoxicating. I've had the good fortune of having driven a lot of high performance cars over the years and virtually no other car I've driven can duplicate the satisfaction I get from the turbo. It's a special car.
Well said, I'm sure that CGT is nothing to shake a stick at. Hard to find a much better driving experience I imagine than that.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:18 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Lucky bastard! All I can think of at the moment are 959s! They at 10×993T-money!
I'd have to start selling organs to be able to swing one of those... haha

Quick Reply: I think I'm becoming obsessed