OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Driver door makes popping sound

My driver door makes a popping
sound when I open and close it.
it happens when the hinge gets to
the firewall. Is there a way to fix this??
Old 12-19-2003, 12:14 PM
Tom C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the "door check strap" is going bad. A few ways to repair this, but when mine started "popping" I had the bodyshop repair it for me.

a) remove the door
b) reinforce the check strap mounting points i.e. add more steel to the weak area.
c) prep and re-paint
d) be very careful when opening the door from this moment on i.e. don't let it swing (hard) to full open.

Cost = $300

Happy Holidays,

Tom
Old 12-19-2003, 12:54 PM
Speedy993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you caught this early enough it may not be to late!

If the check strap has not broken completely from the A pillar you might still be able to do the door check DIY and get rid of the click. Mine was clicking, and I carefully inspected the check strap connected to the A pillar and noticed it was not moving (it hadn't broken loose yet) so I did the

http://p-car.com/diy/doorcheck/

DIY and it worked great the door does not click anymore and swings more freely. after the DIY you have to be careful not to allow it to swing open to hard or you will have damage to the check strap.

My doors still have a faint squeak so if any one has a fix for that please post.

Hope this helps

Karl
Old 12-19-2003, 01:54 PM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

OldGuy -- I had exactly the same proble. Cant explain the cure better than Tom C. That's that You want to do.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:58 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

OG,

Karl is correct. Get your eyeballs in close to the spot welded mounting point at the door jamb. Have someone move the driver's door back and forth and see if you can detect any movement at the spot welded area. If nothing appears to move than the "popping" noise is the door strap (the metal arm with the detents) moving through the arrester inside the door.

The arrester puts too much tension on the metal strap and makes a noise too. Mine does this and there is no movement at the spot welds. I bought and modified an arrester per Chris's p-car.com DIY and will install it this winter.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:38 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine was fixed without removing the door. $50 for the arc weld (make sure to disconnect the battery first) and then $13 for the touch up paint. Looks good.

Do a search on "check strap" and you will see lots of threads, including one with more detail of my fix.

After living with the popping for nearly a year, I got very good at opening and closing the door in a way that would minimize the "POP". After the fix, it has taken some getting used to being able to open/close the door normally - very nice! I have trained my family not to "fling" the passenger side door open so that it stresses the strap or connection to the piller.

Let me know if you need more info.

Fred.

Quick Reply: Driver door makes popping sound