Sponsored by:

tires and rear diff

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 10:16 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post tires and rear diff

I have approximately 5000 miles on one of the newly replaced rear tire. I just recently check each tire tread depth on the rear and noticed that the new tread depth is approximately 2mm deeper than the old tire. Both tires are from the same manufacturer and are the same type and size. My Q is will running slightly different tire circumfernces hurt the differential? I have OEM locking diff.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:21 AM
Vinny '98 3.8 C2S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2mm or 2cm? 2cm seems to be too large to not have replaced both tires, yet 2mm appears to me almost too small to measure acurately. The rolling circumference would only be about 6.2mm longer, and that's if the 2mm diff. was around the entire tire.
Old 10-27-2002, 10:31 AM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Vinny '98 3.8 C2S:
<strong>2mm or 2cm? 2cm seems to be too large to not have replaced both tires, yet 2mm appears to me almost too small to measure acurately. The rolling circumference would only be about 6.2mm longer, and that's if the 2mm diff. was around the entire tire.</strong><hr></blockquote>

A 2 cm (20 mm) differential is impossible as most tires don't have a "new" tread depth of more than 1 cm (10 mm).

To answer George's question, a 2 mm tread depth difference between tires is not significant. It may be the result of uneven wear between the two but nothing to worry about.
Old 10-28-2002, 03:12 AM
George Helser
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
George,

Could your tire wear be due to corner balancing being out? Are the front tires diagonally opposite showing the same effect?

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old 10-28-2002, 04:17 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by George Huang:
<strong>I have approximately 5000 miles on one of the newly replaced rear tire. I just recently check each tire tread depth on the rear and noticed that the new tread depth is approximately 2mm deeper than the old tire. Both tires are from the same manufacturer and are the same type and size. My Q is will running slightly different tire circumfernces hurt the differential? I have OEM locking diff.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi George:

Not to worry! Your differential doesn't care the least bit about such a small difference in diameter.

FWIW, if your car has over 25K miles, you might have the LSD checked for proper operation.

These are well known for rapid plate wear as Porsche went cheap with the 993 LSD's and used half of the previous car's LSD drive plates and driven plates. This results in the LSD going away rather quickly when used on the track.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:48 AM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the reply guys. I had to replace a tire due to side wall puncher and was worried about the difference in circumference caused by 2mm in tread depth between new and old tire.

Quick Reply: tires and rear diff