993 Forum 1995-1998

993 G50 Transmission Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 PM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 993 G50 Transmission Bearings

So just thought I'd share my experience with sourcing new main and pinion shaft bearings for 993 6 speed G50 transaxle, these gearboxes are getting older and it's good info to have as folks start considering rebuilds.

As most know, country of origin has historically been one of the most critical parameters to consider when sourcing severe service (high load/high speed) bearings. Not that all countries aren't capable of making a quality bearing, simply that in the past a few countries have shown to be export bearings that often exceed industry spec, while others have been more cavalier in regards to quality control. Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend buying Porsche dealer sourced bearings as they too have switched to cheaper Indian and Czech bearings for everything except the 4-point bearings. If you have the knowledge, tools, and time to inspect the bearings yourself there is zero advantage to buying from Porsche, especially considering the high cost (in some cases 6x!). See the below chart for the most recent bearings I ordered from Porsche along with their generic part numbers. I'll post pics of all the bearings when I get home tonight and try to fill out the last few spaces on the chart.

Worth noting, that upon initial visual inspection, all of the bearings appear to be well made with good surface finish on ID, OD, and rollers. No slop in the bearings or the cages.

Old 01-23-2018, 10:10 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Concur with this! We certainly struggle with out of the box preloads on especially the pinion head bearing. They in general are too loose and we find ourselves having to surface grind the outer race to tighten them up a bit. Even the bearings source direct from Porsche. Very frustrating given their pricing!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:07 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent info. Especially for "po folk" like me. I cannot really afford a rebuild. When I actually have to do it, I surely can't be doing it twice. Thanks for the PSA.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:30 AM
jstyer
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures as promised:

Quick Reply: 993 G50 Transmission Bearings