Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 SAI P0410 P1411 P0303 Clearing Monitor for Smog Check in CA

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Detoxx
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the ecu tune will ensure all the flags are set and allow you to pass CA smog if what comes out of your tailpipe is clean.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 PM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
Funny they write for OFF ROAD purposes they can help you pass state emission tests. I like your system better Jay.

I am curious when my car turns 25 (3 more years) Texas becomes safety only (no emissions) what the legality of this ecu 'mod' might be. Id like to ditch the system at that point but not if it means having a CEL and not willing to remove bulb.
I don't think a CYA statement like "OFF ROAD" takes the vendor off the hook (see below). While a DIY hack is not likely to get EPA's attention, they definitely do go after (and fine) commercial entities, especially those importing non-compliant vehicles or modifying emissions systems as a business.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:19 PM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

I’m not in an emissions state nor do I have an sai related fault, but I think the ecu flash looks pretty good. Would be nice not to have to worry about it ever coming on in the future. Also you can disable the immobilizer while you are at it. Two annoyances killed in one shot.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:58 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay777
I don't think a CYA statement like "OFF ROAD" takes the vendor off the hook (see below). While a DIY hack is not likely to get EPA's attention, they definitely do go after (and fine) commercial entities, especially those importing non-compliant vehicles or modifying emissions systems as a business.
If this was true, how are companies like Fabspeed still in business? Selling non-emissions compliant parts (cat bypass pipes, etc) is a significant industry in the US across all car marques. Can you point to a single company that's been popped by the EPA?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:00 AM
Jay777
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Not sure how EPA views the bypass guys.

Keep in mind, where emissions aren't required, or where cars are exempt due to age or not being registered, bypasses are perfectly ok (or at least go unnoticed). That, combined with disclaimers like the one below are how these companies can stay in business:

"Fabspeed Motorsport designs performance products for street applications which are entirely street legal and emissions-compliant, as well as race applications with are recommended for off-road track use only. While most Fabspeed products will pass emissions and are entirely road-legal in all 50 states, certain sportcats and catbypass pipes may not be approved in your particular region or state. Please check your local laws pertaining to emissions and catalytic converters". (emphasis added).

Can you point to a single company that's been popped by the EPA?
Lots of examples here: EPA Case Resolution

The good news is that they *seem* to only go after companies, not one-off DIY violations
Old 06-23-2020, 10:40 PM
sacman
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Detoxx
Yes, the ecu tune will ensure all the flags are set and allow you to pass CA smog if what comes out of your tailpipe is clean.
Could you share you experience with ECUdoctors? Living in California, just for bypassing the SAI, Readiness Flags and O2 are worth the asking price as I'm dreading going through every 2 years.

QN
The following users liked this post:
GJSPIN (06-24-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 02:57 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sacman
Could you share you experience with ECUdoctors? Living in California, just for bypassing the SAI, Readiness Flags and O2 are worth the asking price as I'm dreading going through every 2 years.

QN
Find a good Porsche repair shop. Getting a 993 to set the OBDII monitors is not that difficult once the engine is running properly!
Some can set the monitors in a hours time. Buy and install this, it'll solve one of your needs; https://rennlist.com/articles/porsch...rican-drivers/
Old 07-09-2020, 06:30 PM
rpaitich
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best fuel addditive to prevent P0410

I just got my '96 993 back from the shop to have the SAI ports cleared. It was tough, as it was the first time in 80K miles. What's a good fuel additive to prevent or minimize the build-up of junk in the ports? My shop recommended Redline SI-1, twice a year, and only 90 octane. Please tell me if any of you have been able to delay the next CK light and the dreaded P0410 code.

Ron
Northern Calif
Old 07-09-2020, 07:12 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 269 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by rpaitich
What's a good fuel additive to prevent or minimize the build-up of junk in the ports? My shop recommended Redline SI-1, twice a year, and only 90 octane. Please tell me if any of you have been able to delay the next CK light and the dreaded P0410 code.
I don't think your shop knows what it's talking about. Octane rating in modern fuels does not affect carbon buildup. Fuel system cleaners can help with carbon buildup on valves and combustion chambers, but they don't clean out SAI ports. The reason those get clogged is because your engine is burning oil. Only solution to that extremely common problem in 993's is new valve guides.
The following users liked this post:
993pbug (07-09-2020)
Old 07-09-2020, 07:29 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rpaitich
I just got my '96 993 back from the shop to have the SAI ports cleared. It was tough, as it was the first time in 80K miles. What's a good fuel additive to prevent or minimize the build-up of junk in the ports? My shop recommended Redline SI-1, twice a year, and only 90 octane. Please tell me if any of you have been able to delay the next CK light and the dreaded P0410 code.

Ron
Northern Calif
Preventive Maintenance is not to overfill your oil, keep it below half-way on the dipstick. When my shop changes the oil (RMG in Palo Alto), they give the last quart to me to add as needed, rather than fill to top of dipstick.

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL

Quick Reply: 993 SAI P0410 P1411 P0303 Clearing Monitor for Smog Check in CA