Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Polar Silver Rocks

CheeRS
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 AM
TJ993
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

i suggest you decide your intentions early on. ie Options such as 220 / 224 on a Rear Drive are expensive to install after the fact, or purchase.
As in what you plan to do with the car. 220 is Limited Slip and rare unless you desire a C4 AWD.
Best of Luck with your search!
Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

You may have seen this new listing, but just in case........................... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Porsch...ZaXlaF&vxp=mtr
Old 01-19-2018, 10:08 PM
Alfa40
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrmdir
You may have seen this new listing, but just in case........................... https://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Porsch...ZaXlaF&vxp=mtr
Thank you, I really like this one, but these deals are so hard to judge, the dealer refers to the carfax when asking about service records. They just seem like such a shot in the dark.

By the way, does anyone know the percentage of 993 owners active on Rennlist? Always wondered about that.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:43 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 93 Posts

It is not a "shot in the dark". It's called a PPI and/or personal inspection and drive.
Beware of Carfax. It misses events and data. I've written on this Forum about my previous /Corvette
Old 01-19-2018, 11:46 PM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 93 Posts

The previous reply eliminated some copy.
The corvette was severely smashed in the front by an *** who blew a light, not driveable. He admitted fault. Police report, 2-major insurance companies involved, reputable body shop- totally clean Carfax, no mention of anything.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:03 AM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fsa
It is not a "shot in the dark". It's called a PPI and/or personal inspection and drive.
Beware of Carfax. It misses events and data. I've written on this Forum about my previous /Corvette
+1+
Always tempting to buy based on other's opinions & photos - but if you're serious, fly down to drive it - and meet with whatever shop you might use for the PPI. People on this forum can probably recommend some.

ALSO: There may be a bit of luck on this one as far as part of its of history. I always Google the VIN number. In this case, it leads to an ad from about two years - and 1,000 miles ago. Purported to be posted by the original owner - with contact info!

http://saleofcar.com/porsche-911-carr/0100192

He can hopefully give you a lot of info. But what happened to it since Feb, 2016, and how it showed up in FL with different wheels, is still TBD>
Old 01-20-2018, 12:53 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

+1+
Always tempting to buy based on other's opinions & photos - but if you're serious, fly down to drive it - and meet with whatever shop you might use for the PPI.
This! Too many people rely on photos etc.

It may take a trip or 3 but that's a great way to avoid being surprised.

Good luck with the hunt! Not my favorite color but it's still a 993!
Old 01-20-2018, 02:46 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

"He can hopefully give you a lot of info. But what happened to it since Feb, 2016, and how it showed up in FL with different wheels, is still TBD>"

Take extra on this one if you decide to move forward. That 2016 ad was placed by an auto transport firm owner "Steve" - located in Florida. But the car at that time was supposedly in CA. In any case, Steve is not the original owner. And there is the FL connection with Lucky Driver. There are always "stories" with these cars and if things don't seem to add up, keep looking. If not already, ask them to send a photo of the options sticker under the trunk lid. Good info to have before you make an offer - and good to know if it's missing or if for some reason they can't/won't send.

Finally, there's some interesting input re: the dealer in this thread, FWIW....... https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turb...-in-miami.html
Old 01-21-2018, 02:21 AM
Alfa40
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"He can hopefully give you a lot of info. But what happened to it since Feb, 2016, and how it showed up in FL with different wheels, is still TBD>"

Take extra on this one if you decide to move forward. That 2016 ad was placed by an auto transport firm owner "Steve" - located in Florida. But the car at that time was supposedly in CA. In any case, Steve is not the original owner. And there is the FL connection with Lucky Driver. There are always "stories" with these cars and if things don't seem to add up, keep looking. If not already, ask them to send a photo of the options sticker under the trunk lid. Good info to have before you make an offer - and good to know if it's missing or if for some reason they can't/won't send.

Finally, there's some interesting input re: the dealer in this thread, FWIW....... https://rennlist.com/forums/911-turb...-in-miami.html
And this is exactly what I meant by shot in the dark. If I do a PPI and fly down for every dealer-ebay deal that looks reasonable on account of the price and a grainy picture, I might as well pick up the next 80k deal from Rennlist with the history laid out in 2000 posts and call it a day, because that will be the kind of money that I'll eventually sink. Not to mention the time...

However, when looking at pricing for non-rennlist-babied, but nonetheless supposedly honest cars, my experience regarding PPI and test drives are a little different. I fell in love with two 993s recently, both sellers had agreed to meet me around a day or two later to finalise the deal, both sold the car to someone unseen in the meantime who did not care for a PPI nor a test drive. Maybe this is due to the price range I am looking at, but the "good" ones I find, they don't just go quick, they are sold within hours! That said, I still believe in having a car PPI'd and I will eventually find the one that sells for a realistic price and won't be sold before I rush to the seller to check it out in person.

Thanks a lot for the info on the ebay dealer by the way. This is enough for me to walk away, despite not having all the info on this particular car, no need for a PPI for that decision
Old 01-24-2018, 09:39 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

A nice sounding car was listed on autotrader today. 96 with black interior. Private party seller in Irvine. Wish it would have been for sale when I was looking. Sorry can’t link the ad thru my phone.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Is it this one?
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...aff=share_text
Old 01-24-2018, 11:44 AM
Manual991
Racer

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Yes that’s the one. Looks like more pics on cars.com than autotrader.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:14 PM
jrmdir
Rennlist Member

Here you go........ just up on Bring A Trailer.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-porsche-911-carrera-17/?utm_source=dailymail&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-01-24

Price will be higher than average if this goes the way of other Porsches on BAT, but the site has a very good reputation. And the comments from the gallery on each car can be very helpful.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 124 Posts

Hey all... I saw this car in person earlier this past summer. Was a former Rennlister car and had it listed on Craigslist in the SF Bay Area in the mid 40s

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...he-993-c2.html

From what I remember the engine sounded great and I could tell he was a real enthusiast and cared for the car the way he talked about what he updated and his previous p-cars. He had to sell it as his son was going to college.

My only reservation was the paint work on the front. I could tell it was resprayed. I noticed in the headlights there was masking/layered paint at the seam where the headlight and fender touches. Other than that, it was an excellent driver example. Interior/seats were in good shape. There was an Alpine radio in it so looks like the current owner swapped that.

Last edited by samurai_k; 01-25-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quick Reply: WTB: 993 Coupe in Polar Silver