993 Forum 1995-1998

Sound system upgrade - epilogue

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2002, 03:57 PM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Sound system upgrade - epilogue

Having recently upgraded the stock system, I set about curing a "new" problem; no bass and a big "hole" at around 6Khz attributed to the acoustic environment of the 993's cabin
To recap;the system comprises Alpine CDA-7894 ( no, the 7897 does not fit - I tried ), rears are JLAudio 4inch on 4x6 plates driven by the Alpine rear amps, doors are Focal 165K2 driven by JLAudio 300/4 amp.
Now these Focal components appear to be exceptional, but I was persuaded that they should be driven independantly by the four channel amp and using the amp's electronic crossover. Bad move , it turns out.
An audio spectrum analyser confirmed the problem my ears were telling me. So, back to the passive crossovers for the Focals driven only by the front half of the amp, leaving the rear half to be bridged to drive a sub-woofer.
The only problem now was where to put the "sub".
To cut a long post short, the CarAudioInnovations route often mentioned here did not appeal, I didn't want the weight and expense of a custom setup replacing the rear seats ( like the Zbox of old ),so I picked an off-the-shelf enclosure that sits firmly on one of the two rear seats folded down. The JL Audio Pro-wedge CS110-W3 fits well against the retaining lip on the seat back and friction alone seems to keep it safely in place. I can always remove it temporarily should the need arise ( like AutoX and DE ). Now, back to planning that next road trip..........
Old 10-27-2002, 12:36 PM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got photos?
Old 10-27-2002, 07:05 PM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Here goes:

Hmm.. maybe I should recover it in black?
Old 10-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Luis A.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
I did a very similar install with the same HU and amp. I'm driving the front Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro components with the front half of the amp and the rear section of the amp is bridged to the JL Audio Microsub.

Here's a pic showing the amp under the passenger's seat prior to having all connections finalized:

<a href="http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/110-1099_IMG.JPG" target="_blank">http://boards.rennlist.com/upload/110-1099_IMG.JPG</a>

I'm still trialing out speakers for the rears. The current pair are the Blaupunkts 4x6. I think those are going back to the store once I receive the BA's 746 plates I got off eBay. I'll try to install its components in the OEM HiFi speaker frames as I think those look nicer than any aftermarket speaker, not to mention the fact that most aftermarket speakers that fit the rear location come without a grille further complicating matters.

Luis
Old 10-27-2002, 08:29 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Michael, it would look great in black. Keep us posted!
Old 10-28-2002, 02:06 AM
Mdrury
Rennlist Member

Luis, what good taste you have
I tried that micro-sub too, but I just couldn't find a tie-down method I was happy with. It just kept trying to behave like a projectile inside the vehicle ( ouch ). Also that sub has a ported enclosure and so didn't have quite the frequency response characteristics I was looking for.
I'm still thinking about how it would look in black.....

Quick Reply: Sound system upgrade - epilogue