Sponsored by:

Driving lights....

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:08 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving lights....

I just installed some Silverstars for my low beam headlights. Now the driving lights look out of place color and output-wise compared to the new bulbs.

I know the foglights take H3 bulbs, what do the driving lights use? A quick call to my local dealer's parts dept. yielded no answer, they just have an OEM Porsche part number, and I'm looking for the generic industry type.

Before I take apart my foglights, does anyone know the bulb type for driving lights? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:26 PM
blackcat
Racer

Check out the Sylvania site:

http://sylvania.com/bin/carApp/carAp...=911&x=44&y=13
Old 12-17-2003, 12:29 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Driving lights/hi beam

Jason:

driving lights/hi beam should take a pair of H1 bulb

HTH,
Old 12-17-2003, 12:47 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Jason, I tried relying on the bubble levels inside the lights after I changed to ROW M030, but found them not so reliable. What I did is just level my lights againts the wall of my garage then on the road. Since the ROW M030 lowered the beams, I raised them back up high enough(and beamed the left headlight slightly to my side of the road) so as not to cause glare to oncoming traffic, but far enough to see a deer crossing the road I put on Silverstars too which significantly improved the brightness compared to the stock H1s. I did raise the fog lights too so their beams augment the driving lights(justtttt a little bit lower from the beams of the head lights).
Old 12-17-2003, 12:51 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Driving lights....

Originally posted by JasonF
Before I take apart my foglights, does anyone know the bulb type for driving lights? Thanks in advance.
Driving lights? If you mean the high beams, they're H1 bulbs like the lows. If (as I suspect) you mean the low wattage parking/positioning light in the fog light assembly this has been discussed in the past. As I recall, no mainstream bulb maker produces anything brighter/whiter than oem, but someone did manage to find an aftermarket "rice" bulb that fit. You might try an archive search or perhaps that person will post the info again. Sorry, wasn't interested so I didn't note the details.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:04 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Dan-
You're right, I meant the positioning light. I believe the manual describes the bulb in question as the "front side" light (typical double speak, isn't it?)

Thanks for the info., Jason
Old 12-17-2003, 06:42 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello Jason
The light bulb you mentioned is a 5watt positioning bulb. Check with BMW I believe they have a 10 watt replacement from a 1997-1998 BMW 540i. I believe its the one they use on the so called angel eye's headlight rings.
The other option would be to replace the foglight with the turbo S version. MW shaw makes one that uses an actual fog light.
Hope this helps.
Al
Old 12-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This page may be (indirectly) helpful to you:

http://www.993faq.com/archives/cat_lighting.html

Quick Reply: Driving lights....