Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pole: 964 softback sport seats vs 996 hardback sport seats vs Leather Recaro CS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:13 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Pole: 964 softback sport seats vs 996 hardback sport seats vs Leather Recaro CS

Soon to work on some interior bits of my ride and want your thoughts on seats.

I am sure this is personal preference, but want to start this discussion to understand the different points of view on this (which this forum is great for).

My original classic grey driver seat was shot and needs a recover. I pulled both of my front seats out and they are sitting in my basement.

I already went down the upgrade path. I luckily got a good deal on a nice pair of 964 softback leather sport seats when I bought my car from a local pelicaner who was hot rodding his. They are installed today. I love the seats as they fit my body well. Already put a few thousand miles doing a commute to my work. I don't sit too high or too low. The bolsters are the right width and hug me perfectly. I don't move laterally, nor is it too narrow to give me lower back problems from not being able to place my sit bones correctly in the seat.

My only reservation is that they are black. I like grey...

Option #1:
Found a custom reupholstery shop who works on our seats and can make me 993 style softback sport seats covers to fit perfectly on mine as cores. The leather on mine are good so it would be throwing away some nice covers just for cosmetics.

Option #2:
The custom recover option is not cheap. For the same price I can pick up a nice pair of 996 grey hardbacks from a local guy and get them painted to match which looks nice. I can sell my softbacks as is and I am sure for just a few hundred bucks more in investment have a similar quality seats, but are painted.

Option #3:
Sell the softbacks and then drop more money and get some leather Recaro CSs. I have sat in them and they are just as comfortable as my softbacks, but more supportive for "spirited driving".

I know the 993 hardbacks are awesome, but don’t want to spend that much so that is not an option I am considering.

Decisions decisions... Curious what you all have and pros and cons with the seat options.

As an input, I am getting my ride ready for HPDE/track duty and AX this spring.

Thanks

Last edited by samurai_k; 12-20-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:39 PM
nathan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 122 Posts

I have had all the prospective seats in my 993, my thoughts:

-Softback sport seats- by far the most comfortable of all of them, look "correct" and are very supportive as long as you aren't a larger build (otherwise bolsters will be quite uncomfortable). The only drawback in my book is they are HEAVY. If it were me I would just recover the Sport seats you have to match your car. This would be my #1 choice.

-996 Hardback sport seats- I don't personally find these all that comfortable and they sit ~ 1 inch higher than the stock comfort seats, so if your taller this isn't a great option. The good news is they are plentiful, relatively cheap, look fairly "correct" (although I don't like the look of the 996 style power seats switches on the side vs. the 993 circular controls) and they look great with the back painted to match.

-993 Hardbacks- Overpriced and overrated in my opinion. They are the holy grail 993 seat, but I just have never found them that great and sold mine off.

-Recaro CS- Great looking seat, very supportive, fit well (except recline **** is hard to use once installed), really no more expensive than the other options once you factor in recovering, painting the backs, etc. I think its a good choice, although my favorite in these cars is the Recaro A8. Very hard to find now!
Old 12-18-2017, 09:51 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

I'd pick up a set of 964 rear seats (there are plenty of them around) to match the fronts and call it a day.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:09 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
I'd pick up a set of 964 rear seats (there are plenty of them around) to match the fronts and call it a day.
The slope... I did consider that, but that would also mean some interior updates. New carpet and headliner to black. Recolor the dash and other vinyl pieces black with a few pieces grey for a nice two tone look. Maybe some RS door cards to match the 964 straight stitch seat pattern to finish it.

Another multi-month project!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:31 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 446 Likes on 270 Posts

Soft backs- Done!

Old 12-19-2017, 01:31 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you need access to your rear seats? There is always Recaro Pole Positions too if fixed backs work for you. They look right at home in a 993.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:15 AM
mpruden
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I went through a similar decision last year and got a lot of great feedback from many here. In the end I decided to go with the "do nothing" option. The more I researched it, the more all paths pointed toward keeping the stock seats. I fit well in them, they are period correct, are rare (12 way + heat for both driver and passenger), and look, uh, okay.

For track use I just bought another car for the same price as a set of hardbacks. That car has a dedicated racing seat now

Samurai - let me know when you decide to hit the track. I'd love to see this car you've been working so hard to restore.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:50 AM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k

I am sure this is personal preference

I am torn on the softbacks as they are really comfortable,

I am getting my ride ready for HPDE/track duty and AX this spring.

Thanks
If you're going to use the car for HPDE and AX you'll like the recaros best in that environment.

I never found the hardbacks all all that appealing. Sure at first when I owned a 993 15+ years ago I thought I wanted em. Then sat in em and was eh.

Softbacks are the best IMHO for casual drivers. Freeway cruising etc. Not great support for more spirited driving.

Once seated you'll love the recaros. Getting in and out requires some new techniques though.
Old 12-19-2017, 11:51 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Your inputs are really helpful.

I think I will sit on my softback sport seats a little longer.... They are great seats which was why I was torn on what to do.

As for the track... Well I wish I had the space for multiple toys so only one for now. I have two young kids so my 1 1/2 car garage is filled with all kinds of stuff. Right now it is temporary car cave for my suspension project which I am wrapping up.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:50 AM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

samurai,
My car started out life with a classic gray interior and I couldn't stand looking at it all that gray; not to mention the less than ideal comfort of the standard "Sally Rand" seats...

I broke things up with a pair of black leather 996 HB sport seats and some 993 leather rear seats. I also ditched the gray steering wheel, e-brake handle and gear shift ****...

If the rest of your interior is classic gray, I think the 964 black cloth sport seats would be just fine with some 993 black seats in the back and call it a day!

Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 AM
Jlaa
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by samurai_k

I am sure this is personal preference but want to start this discussion if you have some opinions on this.

My original classic grey driver seat was shot and needs a recover. For a restoration this is the cheapest option.

I did already go down the upgrade path though. I luckily got a good deal on a nice pair of 964 softback sport seats when I bought my car from a local pelicaner who was hot rodding his.

I am torn on the softbacks as they are really comfortable, but they are black and I want grey seats.

Found a custom reupholstery shop who works on our seats and can make me 993 style softback sport seats covers to fit perfectly on mine as cores. The leather on mine are good so it would be throwing away some nice covers just for cosmetics. I am certain I can move these seats quickly as they are in good condition and I got lucky as I happened to be first of many who responded to for sale post for them.
Thanks
Let me confirm I am reading this correctly - you have 1 pair of regular seats with worn leather, and another pair of soft back sport seats with nice leather, albeit the wrong color --- correct?
Another option you could embark on is to convert your worn classic grey seats to soft back sport seats. The process involves welding support bars in the bolsters and using new foam in the bolsters that makes the bolsters, well, bigger.

I had Paul Champagne (of 928 fame) do this for me. The results were fantastic. (He also did some fancy upholstery work, but that is beside the point)

Old 12-23-2017, 01:30 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys for the pictures. @Jlaa/@nine9six Your two-tones look nice! Gave me some good ideas what to think about.

For now keeping my soft backs.

Happy holidays!
Old 12-23-2017, 02:24 AM
Spyder_Man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...1038885&page=2

If I had money to burn I'd be acting on these...
Old 12-23-2017, 05:19 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Does anybody know if Recaro Pole Position seats in a 964 will work with a 3 point belt? I know this the 993 forum but I was looking for the most recent seat conversation. I'm converting my 964 RS America back to a street car and the original seats are long gone and now I have a race seat with a 5 point harness. That's not going to work so I'm looking for a Recaro seat that will work with a 3 point belt. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:33 AM
Pdyson4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So are these converted comfort seats?

[QUOTE=P-daddy;14678269]
Soft backs- Done!

So are these converted comfort seats? Can I ask what the conversion costs - just ballpark?

Quick Reply: Pole: 964 softback sport seats vs 996 hardback sport seats vs Leather Recaro CS