Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is the damm sensor for the central locking button on our keys?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 04:32 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Post Where is the damm sensor for the central locking button on our keys?

Ok, I changed my key from switchblade to the nice little Porsche key with small lock/unlock remote.
I also changed the battery with a fresh one. Now the car refuses to unlock/deactivate the anti theft device. I have tried pointing the damm remote at various parts of the dash and the "eye" is not picking up the signal. This only happens when I am in a hurry, late for work,ect. it is now happening 4 out of 10 times. Sorry for the rant but if I knew where the damm sensor was I might improve my odds of getting the car to start!!! (or is this a symptom of something more serious waiting to go bad?)
Old 04-19-2002, 04:42 PM
GeoT3
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the owners manual... it appears to be by the outside handle of each door. but, you should be able to unlock/lock the car while sitting in the driver seat. ie. when disarming the imobilizer.

your remote may be loosing its range. have the p-car dealer check its range or maybe you have a bad new battery in the remote.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:43 PM
duc916
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric,
( I hate it when I hit the tab key... see previous aborted post) anyway, I swithced to the newer remote from the switchblade and did not have any problems with the alarm activation/deactivation. I have never pointed it in any general direction. Is the red light on the remote coming on when the button is pressed, but the alarm in not triggered? The button in the remote swap may have not gotten alligned just right and it not working all the time.

Dan
Old 04-19-2002, 04:48 PM
KC993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eric,

I was once told by the dealer that the remote sensor is under the driver seat and there is a steel plate protecting the unit which can be unmounted for better remote range.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:48 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
Dan/Geroge,
Tried a 2nd new battery, light is always comming on nice and strong... Sometimes I can get the sensor to work 4 feet from the car but while sitting in the car with the key in, the sensor sees nothing. This just started, about 2 months into the new key replacement. I keep looking at the little alarm light on the door frame thinking that might be the sensor but from Geroges post it sounds like it is inside the door???
Old 04-19-2002, 05:45 PM
Hank Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
KC:

You're right. The "sensor" is under the driver's seat nestled right up to the transmission tunnel. It works on radio signals rather than infrared, so there isn't really a "sensor" as much as there is an antenna or receiver.

Eric:

I know you said that you have already changed batteries, but I would suspect that your new battery is not as strong as it could be. I can't remember what the manual says, but I think typical range is around 3 meters max - about 10 feet.

Hank

Quick Reply: Where is the damm sensor for the central locking button on our keys?