993 Forum 1995-1998

Oil/ Filter Change Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 03:54 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts
Question Oil/ Filter Change Timing?

Has anyone cut open their small and large oil filters after around 2,500 miles use? How dirty were they?

At the outset let me say cost is not an issue so "cheap insurance rationale" is not of interest. I'm concerned about the number of times my car comes apart. The oil and both filters are changed before storage every 2 years or 2,200 miles. As an aside, Exxon techs have indicated M1 V Twin is good for thousands more miles than this in spite of limited use. The manual calls for filters to be changed every 2nd oil change so I'm thinking of doing at least the small filter every 4 years or second oil change instead of during the bi-annual oil change but I'm interested in any physical evidence first.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:48 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,448 Likes on 1,020 Posts

This information will be hard to come by as filters are cheap and most owners change them with every oil change some every other change. My gut tells me it is probabaly more important to get the engine running and hot before storing it to minimize condensation in the oil when you put it away.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:14 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

If cost is not an issue, I do not get why not change the filters? Easy to track, no questions on resell ...

Anyways, there is a school of thought that brand new filters are not necessarily the absolute best for the oil, since the filter material has never seen oil, so any loose fibres may get into the oil. Filters with some usage do not have this possible issue.

Follow good engine procedures when stored - turn the engine over every 2 wks to a month with the DME relay pulled to reposition the pistons and circulate some oil. 10-20 seconds of cranking will do it fine.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-11-2017, 02:45 AM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I personally wouldn't change oil after just 2K miles, even if a few years went by, so long as I was regularly getting the engine up to temp. It's overkill. If you really feel the need, change oil, but ignore the filters. They're nowhere near clogged at 2K miles.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Concerned about how many times the car comes apart? Why?

To get to the small filter you loosen 3 hose clamps. What concerns you about that????
Old 12-11-2017, 10:02 AM
skl2
Rennlist Member

Received 281 Likes on 146 Posts

having just changed oil and both filters last weekend before winter storage, I have to admit it was in the back of my head how necessary it is for me change the oil and filters every Nov/Dec before storage. Last year I did an engine out refresh and the oil/filters had about 600 miles on them total since. I am **** about oil and filter changes before winter storage, but with only 600 miles, the oil has barely been circulated - looked brand new coming out!
Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Here is an interesting article on storage procedures for aircraft engines, the principles do apply for engines in general:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...engine-storage

I've never really considered any of that for my usual 4-5 months of winter storage.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I think the official Porsche 993 maintenance schedule has oil changes *without* filter changes listed at the 15000 mile interval.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:28 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Received 734 Likes on 522 Posts

My P-car Mechanic who is "Old School" and worked for Porsche for many years and now has his own Independent Shop says there is no evidence "benefit" of changing the oil before Winter Storage 4-5 months. He said in his 35+ yr of working on these cars is there a evidence of benefit. Is this accurate because many on here change their oil before storing the car before Winter. My oil changes are every Spring once a year and I only put 1,500 miles or so on a year.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by uniquenamehere
I think the official Porsche 993 maintenance schedule has oil changes *without* filter changes listed at the 15000 mile interval.

.......and filters every 30,000 miles!
Old 12-11-2017, 11:49 PM
_snowbird_
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
My oil changes are every Spring once a year and I only put 1,500 miles or so on a year.
I used to change in the spring too - to have nice fresh oil for the season ahead. I've switched to a pre-storage change now because of what the Porsche Classic tech vid said: "if you are only changing your oil once a year, I'd do it in the fall. That's better than allowing any oil contaminants to sit in the system for prolonged periods of time" (or something to that effect)

While I don't know exactly what types of issues dirty oil can cause when sitting for extended periods, it seems logical that clean oil would eliminate some variables. And it's not like they were recommending to change before and after storage - which would immediately make me skeptical of a sales pitch.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:56 AM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by _snowbird_
I used to change in the spring too - to have nice fresh oil for the season ahead. I've switched to a pre-storage change now because of what the Porsche Classic tech vid said: "if you are only changing your oil once a year, I'd do it in the fall. That's better than allowing any oil contaminants to sit in the system for prolonged periods of time" (or something to that effect)

While I don't know exactly what types of issues dirty oil can cause when sitting for extended periods, it seems logical that clean oil would eliminate some variables. And it's not like they were recommending to change before and after storage - which would immediately make me skeptical of a sales pitch.
Ok so I would like some "Hard Evidence" that not changing your oil before Winter Storage makes a difference. What is the net effect of not doing so and quantify. A car that has had it's oil changed before Winter Storage and one that has not.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbos1
Ok so I would like some "Hard Evidence" that not changing your oil before Winter Storage makes a difference. What is the net effect of not doing so and quantify. A car that has had it's oil changed before Winter Storage and one that has not.
As oil is used in a running engine, acids develope in the oil over time.

They are saying that changing the oil before storage will reduce wear from the acid micro-etching the various surfaces as it sits.

Fresh oil has no acids, thus, easier on the engine while it sits for months at a time.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:07 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by SwayBar
As oil is used in a running engine, acids develope in the oil over time.

They are saying that changing the oil before storage will reduce wear from the acid micro-etching the various surfaces as it sits.

Fresh oil has no acids, thus, easier on the engine while it sits for months at a time.
Has anyone actually tested their one year old oil for acid content or is this hearsay spread by guys profiting from over- servicing?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:34 PM
Gbos1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Has anyone actually tested their one year old oil for acid content or is this hearsay spread by guys profiting from over- servicing?
BINGO!

Quick Reply: Oil/ Filter Change Timing?