Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Cayenne vs X5 vs LX 470 vs MB ML500 - Neighbor needs HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts
Default OT: Cayenne vs X5 vs LX 470 vs MB ML500 - Neighbor needs HELP!

She has 3 days to buy a 6000 lb SUV (long story, but it has to be done in 3 days due to her travel plans) is in a time crunch, and wanted my expertise. I don't have any on this issue. I know many of you own one of these 4 vehicles. She's 47 and owns an SLK230, a Honda Oddysey Minivan and due to tax reasons, is about to buy one of these. Any thoughts? She likes the look of the loaded Cayenne S but thinks that $20K more than the MB ML500 is a too much to stretch to. She's open to all so far and hasn't had the time to drive any. I told her to just DRIVE them all quickly and you'll know, but her time is waning. She wants my opinion! She's leaning towards the ML500 as it's the cheapest of the bunch (she thinks) and already has a MB product, likes it, and is comfortable with the MB product.

Sorry for the OT question, but she needs help fast and I thought my comrades here on the board would be a great resource.

Regards,
Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 12:37 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Steve,

If she wants the latest technology, dont buy the ML. Has she thought about the FX45? Not sure if it qualifies for the tax break though. I myself would be more interested in the X-5 or Cayenne over the ML. Has she thought about the Touareg?

whichever one she gets, tell her you will install aftermarket door sills for her Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 12-14-2003, 12:45 PM
BobbyB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two of the 4 you mentioned and they are totally different. If she wants room, luxury and dependability, go with the LX. I don't think you can beat it in these catagories. The X5 is a more fun vehicle to drive but you will have little problems off and on. Great handling and stylish. I've driven both of the Cayennes and think the S will give the X5 a run for the money but there is a price premium and based on recent resale values of P-cars, I think the hit will be much greater than the others. I would think that the Cayenne and BMW are somewhat similar in that they will require more trips to the dealers for some adjustment, fix or other.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:51 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've driven all of these (to be precise only the smaller X and the ML430 that the ML500 replaced) - we need to replace a family car next year. THEY ARE VERY DIFFERENT. Key differences (a) LX470 is simply a different type of SUV, slower but larger - more room and seats and more traditional (b) the Cayenne is a different generation than the ML and even the X (c) Is resale important - residuals differ and, again, the ML and X may age fast.

Right now I'm torn. I love the V8 Toureg - but it is too small for me, there is a LWB Audi version in the works. While the Toureg doesn't have the handling of the Cayenne it is there or thereabouts in handling terms with the others and better than the LX470 and IMHO for the money it wins hands down.
Old 12-14-2003, 12:53 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The VW Toureg (hell, I can't even say it, much less spell it), seems like a much better buy than the Porsche. With the tax break nonsense, however, that may not be a big deal. I would recommend looking at the V8 version of the Toureg, and then get some Berlitz lessons so you can pronounce it.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:19 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally posted by Ruairidh
I've driven all of these (to be precise only the smaller X and the ML430 I love the V8 Toureg - but it is too small for me, there is a LWB Audi version in the works.
What have you heard about this Audi? I have the 2002 allroad and I really enjoy this car. But, it would be nice to see if Audi can come up a with a sporty SUV.
Old 12-14-2003, 01:49 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the LX, it is the built the best. The ML chassis is ancient, the Cayenne is simply too expensive and the X5 is too small. The LX is also the least performance oriented but you will not get hit as bad on resale.
Old 12-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 281 Posts

The LX really is in a different class, it is less car-like/sporty but has greater off-road capabilities than the others you mentioned.

I'd vote for the V8 Tuareg, too, having driven all but the Cayenne (just too mucj $$). Depends, too, on what she will use the SUV for (towing, city driving, light off roading, etc)

I have a LandCruiser, so I a bit biased. The capabilities and durability have created a cult following similar to our beloved P-cars.

The new GX470 is getting rave reviews, and should qualify for the 6000 GVW standard http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/roadtests/131_0302_year/
Old 12-14-2003, 04:08 PM
Stevarino
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA (Brentwood) & New York, NY (Tribeca)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve:

You may want to ask her what attributes she values the most - e.g., safety, size, etc.... (the tax issue, of course). Obviously, we (993 board) are biased towards performance. Based upon what you shared, if she likes the ML, then she's looking for a vehicle consistent with its characteristics. The Lexus is a body on frame vehicle, like an Exploitation - er.., Expedition - or Suburban. They are less capable on the road and less safe, both actively and passively (basically pickup chassis with a different top). Upside is that they are cheaper. The ML's true competitors are the X5, Volvo, Toureg and Cayenne. Steve (CA993twin) had a good suggestion regarding the Toureg. I've looked at the Cayenne and Toureg. The Toureg is nicely put together and extremely reasonable - about $46k in V8 trim. The Cayenne is about $10k dearer, but looks to be a good value too - I happen to prefer the Cayenne exterior, but the Toureg interior.

She may also want to consider the Cayenne V6 if she likes the Cayenne but can't get beyond the price differential. Based upon what she drives, she's used to average power in a car.

If she can't decide on a SUV, suggest a Toyota Prius. As a closet conservationist, this tax thing makes me a little nauseous.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:06 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

If this is the current tax code clause allowing for accelerated depreciation on an SUV used for business purposes, there are some requirements with regard to gross vehicle weight that may rule some of the choices out. There have been many (lengthy) discussions regarding this credit. You may want to search over on the Cayenne board for some background.

That said, I owned an 2003 ML350 (the V6 cousin) of the ML500. Drove an ML55 and (reluctantly) bought the ML350 last December. I traded it less than four months later on my 04 Cayenne, and have never looked back. The ML was not a well-balanced or -riding vehicle. It was much more like an old, unloaded truck on springs. My Cayenne is stiff but comfortable, and handles better than ANY other SUV I've driven (including the LX470 and the X5).

If I recall, the price differential between the ML500 (around $48K list) and the Cayenne was about $12K. As with everything, these kinds of purchases are driven by personal preference (once you satisfy the gross vehicle weight requirements imposed by the Feds).

I suspect you can guess my vote......... Cayenne S!
Old 12-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by 911
What have you heard about this Audi? I have the 2002 allroad and I really enjoy this car. But, it would be nice to see if Audi can come up a with a sporty SUV.
At the preview night of the last Detroit motor show I asked at both the VW and then the Audi stand whether a version of the Toureg with 3 rows of seats was going to be forthcoming. The answer at both stands was yes but it will be an Audi based on a LWB version of the Toureg with a MY2005 intro.

What I didn't do was ask at the Mothership (AKA the Porsche stand) whether a similar LWB version of the PepperTruck was also coming.

I haven't seen anything since then in the press however.

Last edited by Ruairidh; 12-14-2003 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:48 PM
88clbsport
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I am definitely biased towards performance, but I have to admit my wife's Lx470 is a mighty nice ride. I have driven everything out there and IF she didn't have the minivan I would say this is the one. Dealers don't move a high number of the LX'S, but I think some decent deals can be had. They have great resale value if that is a consideration. I am NOT a Japanese car fan, but when it comes to SUV's the Lexus is a clear "all around" winner.

W/out mini van the Cayenne S is my vote.
Old 12-14-2003, 05:56 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks, Ruairidh.

The Audi you are talking about, is it called Pikes Peak?
Old 12-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks everyone for your generous info! I'll pass it all along to her. BTW, this car is NOT for off road (it's Suburban Washington DC here!), and it sounds like the ML500 is not very well liked on this board. I'll tell her what the consensus vote is. Personally, I hope she steps up and gets the Cayenne! It's the best handling, I'm sure.

Regards,
Steve
Old 12-14-2003, 08:30 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the Cayenne Turbo and there is NOTHING in the same category as this vehicle.

Quick Reply: OT: Cayenne vs X5 vs LX 470 vs MB ML500 - Neighbor needs HELP!