Sponsored by:

salt paranoia in the northeast

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 11:06 PM
shortslr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question salt paranoia in the northeast

I finally got an appt. at the dumb dealership to have them inspect my car to see if I had to make another appt to come back and fix the wire harness problem. But then we got nine inches of snow and my car is at dealer. I have been careful not to let it touch the road with salt, snow and sand on the ground. Tomorrow I am supposed to retrieve it from them and I am hoping for warm weather so I can up my driveway. I am concerned about getting in the garage and having a hard time cleaning it. I've never washed a car when it's 20 degrees out and I hope I don't have to. Am I being overly concerned?

1996 993
Old 12-06-2002, 11:49 PM
Speedraser
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
NO!! Even though Porsches are as well (or better)protected from rust as any steel car, I would consider asking the dealer if you could leave it there until the roads are at least dry. They should understand your concern, IMO, unless they truly have no room. Galvanization is great, but salt is just EVIL.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:14 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Salt is more evil than you could ever imagine. You WILL miss some. You WILL hate yourself. Just ask them to hold it. Even once road dry, wash the living hell out of it when you get home.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:18 AM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is really silly paranoia. Just drive the car home and rinse off the bottom with a hose. Jeez a few times is not going to rust your car out.
Old 12-07-2002, 03:34 AM
James_J
Advanced

I understand your concern. In the UK we get salt sprayed on the roads after the slightest hint of freezing weather. It really eats alloy wheels.

Driving a few times in salt wont hurt as long as you hose out all those crevices where salt can sit and do its worst - but don't leave it! (Also make sure that moisture on your alloy engine components is not salt-laden, otherwise you'll get a kind of white "furry" corrosion deposit - wash carefully here though!)
Old 12-07-2002, 07:21 AM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Suggest taking car home, weather will be above freezing this weekend, wash the undercarriage well, as well as car. Try to take car out for short drive to dry the water that didn't dry out. Should not be a major problem, but annoyance.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:59 AM
Chris W. - '96 Targa
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you're that worried about it, is there any chance of getting your dealer to deliver the car to you on a truck? Even if you had to pay for it, sounds like the peace of mind might be worth it....

-Chris
Old 12-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If you're gonna keep that car for 10+ years, do not drive if there's salt.

If you're gonne keep it less that 10 years, drive & then wash V E R Y carefully. That salt goes averywhere, and if there's a spot without paint and you fail to wash it...
Old 12-07-2002, 11:51 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

There are lots of folks on this board who drive their 993 thru the winter. The cars haven't become rust buckets. Salt/corrosion protection has advanced tremendously the past few years.

What do you drive in this winter weather? How does it look?

Wait till the roads are cleared then drive the sucker home (DON'T have to wait till they're perfectly dry; that might not be till May!). On a clear sunny day above freezing, give it a good washing.

Stop being overly paranoid; you'll be fine.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:02 PM
mpm '95 C4
Pro

My C4 is 100K Northeast car that remains a daily driver in the winter (except during a storm - since it doesn't have snows). It'll go weeks without spraying off the salt residue on the body and undercarage.

There is one spot of cancer, but that's on the cowl from a bad fit with the windshield.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:08 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Lurking a little here on the 993 board, 964 is really my home. Drive it home, things being the way they are in life you'll probably get a tow guy who knows nothing about towing your car and it'll get damaged. FWIW my buddy's 95 993 has 130,00 miles on it, driven through every Michigan winter (think tons of salt) and not even the slightest rust. Life is short, through some snow tires on that beast and drive it through the winter. The 95 handles the snow beautifully with the right tires. I have a 89 C4 which I drive everyday, life is way to short to be Porscheless for a whole season. Just my humble opinion...
Drew
89 C4 (everyday driver)
86 930
Old 12-07-2002, 02:56 PM
shortslr
Intermediate

Thanks everyone, I feel less paranoid now. I just picked up the car this after spending the morning going out with the shove to get all of the snow and ice of my 200 foot, downhill driveway. I had to let the sun warm the top layer, then go get off the top layer of slush. I stood looking out the window with fears being stuck at the bottow of the driveway spinning my wheels in the sand and salt just to get it really into all the part underneath. Sadly, I am really starting to hate my Porsche I picked it up from the dealer and it said the engine and tranny are leaking. Wonderful! For a car with only 32000 miles on it, I have had a lot of problems. I rotated up from my Alfa Romeo Spyder which was a money pit, so I thought. The Porsche is putting it to shame, $200 for an oil change at a dealer!! Maybe I should just let it rot.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Sorry to hear about your problems. Let some independent shop check the leaks first, might not be as bas as dealer says.

Re: Oil change. That's not so simple task, 2 filters, ~11 quarts of Mobil 1 oil. even if you're DIYer, it'll cost ~$80 for you.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:02 PM
JC in NY
Burning Brakes

[quote]Originally posted by Ray Calvo:
<strong>Salt/corrosion protection has advanced tremendously the past few years.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Yes. The reality of the situation is that the car will not rust under normal use for decades even in the most severe conditions. Porsche tests the sheetmetal by exposing to acid, corrosive salts sprays, harsh chemicals and extreme cold/heat cycles to ensure it will meet their corrosion guarantee.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:42 PM
Skytop
Racer

Wink

Shortslir:
Man! You 'gots' to loosen up!!!!
Yes, demon rust never sleeps but your drive home will not condemn your 'misunderstood' baby to an early rusting demise.
A good hosing down with special patient attention to the undercarriage and wheel arches will take care of all. I too had an "Alfa Romeo" Spyder )as I called it) back in the 70's and found it to be as you state. But, don't blame the car for the dealer's obscene markups these days. Beemer, MB, and now even Lexus are all charging big time numbers. Blame the unions, the health care system, lawyer's inflated settlements, inflation, whatever! The bottom line is that you've got a great car and after a few teething pains, you will be a real happy camper!

Quick Reply: salt paranoia in the northeast