993 Forum 1995-1998

It started with a rough idle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Tlaloc75
I think JPS's build sounds pretty good. I know if I had the engine apart to this level I'd be replacing at least as much as he has. I think in the long term. If I'm going to do it, I'll do it right so it'll last for myself (and my children, and my grandchildren).

I do understand the need to draw the line somewhere, however.
Yeah different perspectives for sure......new cams but 20 year old valve springs

Congrats JPS! It's been a long road for you!
Old 11-15-2017, 08:01 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I hear you. The shop that was holding the pieces in his hands talked me out of it. I was ready to order.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:21 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
new cams but 20 year old valve springs
I've never replaced valve springs on a motor that wasn't getting its redline increased. Valve springs aren't really a wear item.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:10 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good to hear, thx.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:08 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
Valve springs aren't really a wear item.
My experiences measuring seat and nose pressures say otherwise. They do soften with usage. We toss em each refresh cycle.

Again to each his own.....

On the other extreme I know racers who loosen rocker arms between events to relax springs to extend spring life.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:35 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Edited to mention how much Steve W helped.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:07 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Picking it up Monday
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM
NYC993
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Just came across this thread. Ouch Jos. Hopefully, now it will be good for another 20 years.
Question, did you not have AUX cooler? Perhaps high heat contributed to cracking valve?
I installed AUX cooler (from Carnewal) this April, and the temps are significantly lower. The temp needle never goes above 9 o'clock. The only funny thing is it runs at bit warmer on the street if you are driving at low rpm.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

The culprit
Attached Images     
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM
SwayBar
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 198 Posts

You are fortunate you caught it before a piece breaking off.

How's it running after the repair?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:25 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Super lucky indeed.

I picked it up. Finally. Final build above. I still need to get a new chip to go with the 3.8, so I don't have it totally done yet.

Pulls strong all the way to redline, certainly gets up to speed quicker according to the butt dyno, anyway. Sounds a bit beefier. Steve Weiner did a great job on the Web RS Cams...super smooth and don't feel stupid or too track overall.

So the challenge in rating before/after is with the down cylinders overall, it was clearly down on power, but was gradually so. So it is definitely a big step up, but how much that is back to what should have been, vs a bump from the 3.8... hard to say. It definitely puts a smile on my face, and definitely on freeway shoots around slow pokes with a vengeance. The real test will likely be at The Glen in the spring when I look at lap times. Torque is noticeable as even in 5th or 6th (regeared, so my 6th is stock 5th) I can pass easily on the freeway, for example.

Sad to report, however, the oil leak that was under the car wasn't just a loose filter or something but was a leak in the line from the tank to the engine...the long snakey tube with metal and a bit of rubber in the middle. Apparently I got a microcrack in it, spraying oil only under load. And the part is backordered. Shop found what seems to be the only one in existence in North America. So hopefully picking it back up on Monday.

Oof.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Tlaloc75
Three Wheelin'

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Super lucky indeed.

I picked it up. Finally. Final build above. I still need to get a new chip to go with the 3.8, so I don't have it totally done yet.

Pulls strong all the way to redline, certainly gets up to speed quicker according to the butt dyno, anyway. Sounds a bit beefier. Steve Weiner did a great job on the Web RS Cams...super smooth and don't feel stupid or too track overall.

So the challenge in rating before/after is with the down cylinders overall, it was clearly down on power, but was gradually so. So it is definitely a big step up, but how much that is back to what should have been, vs a bump from the 3.8... hard to say. It definitely puts a smile on my face, and definitely on freeway shoots around slow pokes with a vengeance. The real test will likely be at The Glen in the spring when I look at lap times. Torque is noticeable as even in 5th or 6th (regeared, so my 6th is stock 5th) I can pass easily on the freeway, for example.

Sad to report, however, the oil leak that was under the car wasn't just a loose filter or something but was a leak in the line from the tank to the engine...the long snakey tube with metal and a bit of rubber in the middle. Apparently I got a microcrack in it, spraying oil only under load. And the part is backordered. Shop found what seems to be the only one in existence in North America. So hopefully picking it back up on Monday.

Oof.
Do you have dyno numbers?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:08 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Not yet.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:14 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Super lucky indeed.

Oof.
Glad it's feeling much better in yer car. I wanna do this line, as a preventative strike to avoid this nightmare. I think snaking it through chassis, is sorta "fun". Pics of process, if you can...please? :-). I understand what's entailed, but wanna see pics, showing it to be much easier, than proposed.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:22 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

The shop is doing it.

Quick Reply: It started with a rough idle...