Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

DIY Hell - Taking off the white adhesive from door sills sux!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Marc: I looked on the net and found a Canon A80, but not an A8. Are you sure it's not an A80?

Perfect timing, I just bought an electric 225 mph leaf blower to clean out the garage from all the leaves and dust. I thought they weren't real safe to use on/around our cars?

I can't believe I'm even asking this, but "where specifically do I blow"?
Flamesuit armed and ready.

Steve

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 12-21-2003 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 96C4S
I can't believe I'm even asking this, but "where specifically do I blow"?
Steve,

I think you found the perfect smiley for your question, the answer to which is: everywhere you can.

Seriously, I would take that "sucker" and blast it all around your door areas, but you might want to be careful with those little, black one-way moisture valves that seem to pop off when whenever the bottom of the doors are wiped down too vigorously. I don't think you need to get too close to the car with your, um, nozzle.

Sorry, for the typo; it's a Canon A80.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Cool info. Thanks Mark. I'll look out for a heavily discounted Canon A80 in the next few months when newer models surface.

Knowing my luck, I better keep the leaf blower away from my car. I've just had bad luck with power tools and cars in general. I keep waiting for a rake or snow shovel to fall on my 993 when I'm blowing the dust and leaves out of the garage. Murphy's law rules in my home. Guess I'll just wipe those sills down the next day each time I clean it, to get up the mysterious water marks that land there hours after a good cleaning.

Steve
Old 12-22-2003, 10:28 AM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

Use a little stainless steel cleaner/polish Steve (Home Depot/Lowes variety). No issues with water marks.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:17 AM
Mark Rankin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also use goof off which you can get at a hardware store. I got as much off as I could and burned the rest using a lighter. I probably was able to remove 80%, burned the rest and used goof off to get the charred remains off the car. Worked pretty well.

One more note: if you use enough goof off in an enclosed garage, you won't need the ice for the cocktails.

Mark
Old 12-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Mark,

Sorry, I don't think goof-off is a good idea, as it clouded the clearcoat of my paint. Also, are you joking about using a lighter? I'm a pyro but I would never think of setting fire to anything close to or on the Porsche. You never know what else can be set ablaze.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Chris: Thanks for the tip, but the water marks did eventually just wipe off with a soft cloth and water.

Mark; I DID get all the adhesive off and put on the sills. It's done, BUT for anyone about to try the sill removal process, others have recommended NOT to use Goof Off as it may "damage" your paint. I was recommended to ONLY use 3M adhesive remover as it's the least harsh chemical to remove adhesive tape. Also, you burned the rest of the adhesive off with a lighter? Wow, you're brave!

Steve
Old 12-22-2003, 11:34 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Silver Bullet
I use an air compressor rather than the leaf blower as I can keep the air more narrowly focused.
Kim, not all of us have the room to park a 24 foot trailer to hold all of our tools. The leaf blower serves double duty for us poor guys.

Quick Reply: DIY Hell - Taking off the white adhesive from door sills sux!