Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I remove the door sills tape B4 installing new C4S sills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default How do I remove the door sills tape B4 installing new C4S sills?

OK - I'm trying another "mod". Bare with me here - I did a search under "door sills removal", and "door sills", but didn't find any info on how to remove the white tape that rests under the black plastic OEM sills before installing my brand new 993 C4S sills. I WAS able to pull off the black OEM door sills (yeahhhh - it may not sound like much to you, but ANYTHING that I do on my own without paying someone else to do it is a big victory for me )

I tried getting some of the old tape off with my fingers, but it's totally inefficient and I'm not a do it yourselfer with lots of simplistic knowledge that most of you possess. What's the trick to getting this tape off? I assume I'm suppose to remove the OEM tape before putting on my new sills, right?

Thanks in advance. I got the sills in the mail today (from Departstop
818- 388-7197 - no affiliation obviously - I got the # and info from you guys!) and showed them proudly to my wife, hoping she wouldn't be too pi$$ed about this little extravagance. I initially told her the car "should" have come with them, but for some reason this necessary option was deleted when the car was hand built. I was buying it simply to bring it up to spec.

Also, I showed her that her Jaguar had a lovely aluminum door sill to protect the molding as you enter the car. She then realized that it was really important for me to have them in my sports car too. Sometimes she's accepting of my 993 (usually after she's gotten an extravagant piece of jewelry the previous weekend, like last weekend!). She made a deal with me that she gets a certain amount of jewelry and clothing each year in exchange for - well, me just owning this car! She figured that if I spent $45k for it, that's $4,500 each year for the 10 years I own it that she gets to spend on jewelry and clothing. It seemed kind of high, but we're still negotiating that figure. I hope I keep earning as much as I have so this arrangement keeps working.

Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 02:24 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took me at least a half dozen coatings of adhesive remover before I was able to get the old tape off the car.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:04 AM
SLVR
Pro

Hey Steve - the depreciation on that Jag must be at least 6k a year. I would demand the equivalent as a budget for your mods;-). You guys must have quite a budget for niceties I guess.....:-)
Old 12-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks guys... I even went to Robin's site BEFORE I posted my question but unfortunately I must have missed it. Sorry to waste bandwidth. I'll go to Home Depot today, pick up the "stuff" and give this DIY a whirl.

The silly things we do to our cars... it's crazy. Most of my friends would just say "whatever" if I told them half the things I'd like to get for my car (aluminum interior upgrades, the nicer 3 spoke wheel and the AJ USA alum pedals).

SLVR97TT: Good point, but my 993 is and EXTRA car, so to her, totally unnecessary. That's why she thought the extra money rationale was fair (her "new" jewelry allowance due to me keeping the 993). She's a great lady and I'm not ragging on her... she just came up with this $$$'s analogy herself. Pretty crafty on her part . She used some slick psychology on me - so I reluctantly give her an "A" for the effort.

To be continued...

Steve
Old 12-11-2003, 09:44 AM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

Steve,

You can very carefully use a razor blade scraper, the kind they use to remove registration stickers off windshields. At the right angle, you can shave off 99% of that double sided tape, with just a light residue remaining to take off with solvent remover.

Try not to catch the edge of the razor and nick the paint, but if you do, just dab a bit of paint on the spot after you're done. Probably the concours guy isn't going to look under there anyway....
Old 12-11-2003, 09:48 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Steve,

I got mine a couple weeks ago too and may try to get to the install today. I bought some adhesive remover from the local auto shop and will try that out - it has been used on other stuff and worked pretty well.

Good luck...

-Skip
Old 12-11-2003, 12:15 PM
SMB993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, a heat gun (at lower to mid settings) really softens the glue to facilitate removal. Works much better than solvent and scraping alone.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the door sills tape B4 installing new C4S sills?